+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bi-lateral HR? And X-ray question...  (Read 2171 times)

Chillman

Bi-lateral HR? And X-ray question...
« on: May 18, 2008, 05:18:10 PM »
I apologize if this question has been asked and answered on this board.... I don't get enough of an opportunity to get on the board to read each thread that has been listed.

Anyway ( ;))  I was wondering what is the liklihood of being able to have both hips resurfaced at one time if they are both in the condition that would warrant this surgery.  I'm considering getting in touch with Dr. Gross  in South Carolina, and hopefully he will have an opportunity to review my current tests results and give me his opinion.

One concern that I have, (since I don't know much about the science of X-rays), after reading Renee's post, is that what if my X-rays aren't sufficient enough of a 'picture' to give the DR a good reference point for diagnosis?

Thank you in advance for your input :)

C*

xocy

Re: Bi-lateral HR? And X-ray question...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:00:47 PM »
Lucky you! This is right up my alley. I saw Dr. Gross Friday afternoon. I, too, need both hips repaired. he is a very consistent man. Look his video on this web site and he explains his opinion of a bilat.

If you choose to hve both done at the same time, here is how it works.

First one on Monday
Tuesday rehab
Second on Wednesday
Thursday rehab
go home on Friday if you don't have to travel too far and there are no complications

If you don't do it this way, he will do both over a two week period. You go home and come back.

The only other option is to wait 2  or 3 months between surgeries.

As he states in his video and told me Friday. It is up to the patient. One hard rehab or two easier rehabs.

My email address is mraycox@aol.com
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

xocy

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 07:09:10 PM »
Also, he can look at your xrays to tell if resurfacing is for you. Also he needs a bone scan.
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Chillman

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 01:16:01 PM »
Thank you for your reply :)  I'm looking forward to pain-free hips and getting back to some real activity ~ !

austin.m

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 03:55:09 PM »
Not to confuse things, but I had both hips done in the same surgery - they simply turn you over and do the other one. One surgery rather than two. The first couple of days may be tougher than having one done, but I'm not so sure. I had no pain and was off all pain medication two days post surgery. Also, after the first couple of days, as you've already discussed, you have one rehab rather than two. From what I've read and seen, rehab on both hips is almost the same as it is on one. I starting walking without a cane after 3 weeks, so it's certainly no different from that point on.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 02:17:15 PM »
Hi C*

Many of the US doctors don't normally do both hips at one time.  The overseas doctors like De SMet and Bose do.  A lot depends on the patient and what they are able to handle.

I have quite a few De SMet Bilat stories posted  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php#Dr._De_Smet_Hip_Stories_  The Bilat that was with me in 2006 was walking on only one crutch just like I was.  The bilats do well, but it is not an easy road from some people.

I would get input from the surgeons you are considering to get their opinons.  I personally would have done 2 at one time because you just have one surgery and one recovery.  If you are going to be somewhat miserable - why not just do it all at one time.  I have not heard of any of the Bilats from De Smet ever say they wished they had done them separately.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM