+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Long drive to get first of two BHR's at the Cleveland Clinic  (Read 2275 times)

dickiedoda

Long drive to get first of two BHR's at the Cleveland Clinic
« on: April 15, 2013, 10:20:33 AM »
Hello,

I'm scheduled to have my first of two BHR's "installed" by Dr. Brooks on May 8.  I'll be driving from PA, which is just over a five hour drive to the Cleveland Clinic.

For those of you who have traveled a semi-long distance, any suggestions for riding back home (we have a minivan)?  Is there anything I should bring with me that would make the trip back home easier?  How should I plan on positioning myself?  Do they provide you with what you need in terms of icing?

Thanks in advance for your responses,

Dick

stephen1254

Re: Long drive to get first of two BHR's at the Cleveland Clinic
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 10:58:46 AM »
Because of the need to avoid bending more than 90 degrees, I rode home in a semi-reclined position. Bring pillows and figure on stopping to move around every 90 minutes or so.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

fenceman

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »
Make sure your seat goes back far enough so you can straighten your leg and a reclining seat is helpful.  I did get one reusable ice bag from the 5th floor nurses and the Clinic PT department has big ones that they will happily add to your bill.  Pillows and stoping to move around is great advice. 

Make sure you ask for a "Lake View Room".  Lake Erie is pretty in May.   Also don't forget the snacks and a cooler with bottled water or drinks.  You can use the bottled water as an ice pack in a pinch. 

Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 04:05:37 PM »
Yes, pillows, reclineable, frequent stops, and ice.  I like the idea of prepping the van and practicing getting in an and out with a bum leg, before you have a real bum leg.  Even with all of that, you'll probabaly still be a little uncomfortable and you'll be happy to get home. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

bluedevilsadvocate

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 05:47:10 PM »
Dr. Brooks did my LBHR two and a half years ago.  My drive home was about 5 hours, in a minivan, and I don't recall any problems at all.  My wife drove and I sat in the front passenger seat.  We stopped a couple of times so that I could get out and walk around a bit (with crutches, of course), but I didn't need any particular advance preparations, pillows, reclining seat (although mine would recline).  Frankly, I was surprised that the 5-hour ride was no big deal.  You'll do just fine!
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 06:33:52 PM »
Welcome,

In addition to the above, the musle relaxants helped me on the short ride home, and some longer rides the first couple of weeks.

If we still had our van, I may have had the seats in the back out or folded down, to have the option to lay down in the back for a 5 hour ride.  Pillows and a pad to lay on etc.   Getting a couple large icepacks when going out the door would be a good idea as well.

Best regards, you are in very good hands.  Follow the program, do the exercises religiously, stay ahead of the pain, ice as much as possible and you'll be in great shape shape soon after.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Dee Dee

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 08:35:49 AM »
I had a 7+ hour drive home on Friday after surgery on Wednesday for both surgeries.  I rode in the front seat of a sedan.  I use the ice machine and pillows.  It was not a big deal. I got out 2 times to walk, use the restroom and have a small meal.  I was on the pain meds and slept lightly much of the time.

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

RobinK

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 04:27:25 PM »
Pre-medicate!
I was asked if I wanted pain meds, but since I wasn't feeling too bad, I declined. I should have taken pain meds/muscle relaxers in preparation for the ride home.
Ice is a great idea, too.
R-BHR - Feb 2013 - Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat