+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How long out of work?  (Read 3419 times)

Renee P

How long out of work?
« on: May 19, 2008, 06:35:07 PM »
I'm wondering about how long people are out of work after resurfacing.  I work in a school and would prefer to be resurfaced in the summer so I don't miss any work (it's a new job).  I have an appointment on July 3rd and chances are if my hip is ready for the surgery, the surgeon might not have available dates until the fall.  So, I could wait until next summer, but I don't want to miss the window of opportunity if it's now.

My job is about 50% sitting and 50% on my feet.

Tarhoo2

Re: How long out of work?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 10:23:40 PM »
Renee,

I've had two BHR's in the last 5 months.  I have an office job, but am up and around and out and about alot.  I was out of the office 4-5 weeks both times, but probably could have been back in the office at 3-4 weeks.  For me, the big issue was being ready to drive, especially with the right side.  There seems to be a wide variation in how long people are restricted in their activities, depending upon the doctor and the individual, but I think 4-5 weeks on average seems reasonable, at least from my experience.  BTW, I'm 48 and in reasonably decent shape.  I would add that, while I have some stiffness (I'm 6 weeks post-op on my secod BHR), I have no pain and expect to be pretty much back to my "old self," including playing golf, by late summer or so.  Having been in pain from OA for the last 5-7 years, this is quite a relief.  Hope you're able to work things out.

Jim

xocy

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 07:12:46 AM »
I have an option of doing some of my work from home. What would prevent me from office work, calling clients on the phone, etc. from home directly after the surgery. Is the post op pain so bad that I will not want to do this? If you have a driver, can you travel by car immediately after the surgery?
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Clarkefan

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:23:33 AM »
I was back at my desk 12 days after surgery. My wife had to drive for the first week, but I was mostly sitting throughout the day (I took regular breaks to walk around the office building).

Elaine Y.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 03:48:36 PM »
Hi All,

I work out of my house, and I took off 3 weeks. The problem I would say is the swelling in the ankles/feet from sitting for a long period of time. After 3 weeks that was not an issue. I didn't drive for 6 weeks, as I had a right resurfacing. The fact that I couldn't drive for 6 weeks was not a bother, and I am glad I waited, as I would not want to get in a car accident because I wasn't able to push on the brake or gas.

Good Luck

Elaine Y.
RBHR -- Dr. Eugene Lopez, 1/22/08

rlm869

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 07:33:51 PM »
i was out of work for 3 weeks and part time the 4th week. this was my choosing...i really didn't want to go back to work but could have. i sit at my job. at first there was some problem with stiffness and a little swelling, but it was nothing unbearable. i also took breaks getting up to walk around, stretch a little and do some standing exercises. i had my right hip done as well, but i was driving in my 4th week.

also, in those first weeks i tried to get out of the house as much as possible. i had my mom here to drive me around. i want to stress that the pain may be what some would consider bad the day or two after surgery, but after that it is really more of a soreness and you are tired.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 07:36:28 PM by rlm869 »
rebecca
dr. john evans
3/24/08 rbhr

john

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 09:15:23 PM »
no problem with working from home once your head is clear of pain meds so you don't say stupid stuff
you can be driven around by 2 weeks or less, just a bit uncomfortable getting in and out of car but it helps to sit on an ice pack for the ride

takilasunrise

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 10:29:55 AM »
I took 4 weeks off from work.  I returned to work the beginning of the 5th week.  I have a desk job, so I'm only getting up to go get mail, go to the printer, take breaks, etc.  I used my cane to walk into work, but not around the office, for about 2 weeks maybe.  I don't know if I would have been able to handle being on my feet for long periods of time right in the beginning, but I've been able to do that for about 6-8 weeks now. 

marathonhippo

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 02:03:45 PM »
Renee,

I've also had both hips done within the last 4 months.  The first was the right hip, and I was back to work (office job) and driving after 3 weeks, but 4 weeks on the second, mainly because I decided 3 weeks was a bit early the first time.  At first it was not comfortable sitting for long periods, so I would walk around at least once an hour, but now (10 weeks post-op on the 2nd one), it isn't a problem, but I still get up several times a day to make sure I walk enough.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Alan
RBHR  2/4/2008 - LBHR 3/10/2008 Dr. Hickman

Annatrk

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 07:55:14 PM »
I am 4 weeks post-op RBHR tomorrow.  I am 51 and was pretty active prior to surgery.  I was given the go ahead to resume driving last weekend.  It is my right leg and I have been driving for the past few days locally with no problem.  I started returning a few calls/ emails from home after 1 week and plan to go back to the office next Monday which will be almost 5 weeks post-op. I cannot start outpatient PT until 6 weeks but I have been walking and doing simple home exercises since surgery.  All is well. 
Anna
RBHR: Dr. James Kudrna 4/30/08

Clydascope

• THe Inyo Belly Project
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 04:24:25 PM »
Once I got off the pain meds during the day I was able to do some work at home on the computer and phone, took less than 2 weeks.  The meds made me nauseous and dizzy whenever I put on my glasses.

I am planning to visit the office in a couple days - 3 weeks post surgery.   Not sure how much work I will get done but it should feel good to get back.

Dev

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 07:17:18 PM »
I had my surgery on May 7th and returned to work and driving on the May 19th.  I went back a little early, but I felt OK.  I was on one crutch and now I use a cane.  I am 34 and pretty active.  I actually started hip strengthing excercises about 45 days prior to surgery.  Not sure if that helps or not, but I kind of went into training mode before my surgery.  Just keep in mind everyone recovers differently.  Good luck! 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat