+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: mr mcminn vs mr treacy  (Read 2732 times)

jaeger

mr mcminn vs mr treacy
« on: April 18, 2013, 02:47:59 PM »
hello, i am new to the site, not sure what the protocol is so i 'll just fire away.  I live in europe and am considering a resurfacing in Birmingham in the UK as the two most experienced surgeons, Mr Mc Minn and Mr Treaacy,  are based there.    Both Mr McMinn and Mr Tracey are frequently referred as the standard by which all others are measured.  Mr McMinn s performed 3500 HR, Mr Treacy 5000.     Does anyone have any thoughts as to how to chose between them?  are there differences in technique? revision rates?  certainly mr McMinn seems to put more effort into his website, whereas getting the same level of info on Mr Treacy is harder - that 's the only difference i ve noticed. 
thanks very much

Dannywayoflife

Re: mr mcminn vs mr treacy
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 03:08:13 PM »
Hi and welcome. In all honesty there is little difference between the 2. Mr Treacy works a lot on the NHS hence why his web page is not as good as McMinns. McMinn exclusively works privately now and so all his surgery is done through the McMinn centre. Treacy has done a lot more than 5000 now that figure is about 5 years ago and he averages 500 a year so I think he's around the 7000 mark now.
Personally I had to go with Mr Yreacy as I saw him on our NHS however he was my number 1 choice no matter what. I spoke to 3 family friends all who are hip surgeons and when asked who they would choose as a resurfacing surgeon they all said the same Mr Treacy. Until Mr Treacy finishes working for the NHS I suspect his website will lag behind as he's just so busy. However if you were to choose him he really is fantastic. Also Mr McMinn well what can be said about him!?? He's also a world leader! Your in a very enviable position being able to choose 1 of the 2 BEST in the world!

Please feel free to pm me if you want a chat
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 05:35:56 PM »
Thought Danny would adamantly say Treacy  ;)  That's what we hippies do.  Sometimes its a bit like the devotion to one's Alma Mater.  I can't stress enough his point about being in an enviable position to choose between 2 leading surgeons.  They are basically both pioneers of HR and are extremely well-respected as top surgeons in the HR world. 

You can't go wrong with either.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 02:37:46 AM »
Yep you really are in a great position! Have you been in contact with either of them yet?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Granton

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 03:18:05 AM »
. McMinn exclusively works privately now and so all his surgery is done through the McMinn centre.

Interesting. Mr McMinn resurfaced my right hip in 1999 - it still seems fine. Now my left needs doing and I don't have medical insurance these days. My GP has just written to him asking whether he will see me under NHS. Does not sound promising from what you say.
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 06:39:36 AM »
Just go see Mr Ronan Treacy then mate! He works a lot on the NHS. He also co developed the bhr and the surgical technique with McMinn. He works out of the royal orthopaedic in Birmingham.
Pm me if you need any info mate
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 10:16:46 AM »
Like Danny says, Mr. Treacy is a great alternative. It's like talking about 1a and 1b. You're still dealing with one of the best in the world.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

happyhopper

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 12:03:15 PM »
HI
Just wondered which country you live in?  Are you male or female?
Rudyred has recently had a resurfacing with Treacy and you could ask her what she thinks!!
I believe Treacy works very quickly whilst I think Mr Mcminn takes his time more.
You could ask Treacy for his success/complication figures.  I believe the advice on another hip site is to get figures in writing before proceeding and if they are not willing to provide them, question why.  I would also obtain detailed recommendations from people a similar sex, size, age and activity level as yourself. 
If you are female or very small boned please be cautious as a high degree of accuracy is required in placing the cup. 

Granton

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 12:30:13 PM »
I am in the UK (you have to be to use the NHS). Male, and reasonably knowledgeable about resurfacing having had one over 13 years ago. Obviously I would feel most comfortable with the surgeon who was so successful last time, but I am aware that Mr Treacy is also a safe option.

I am also well aware of the importance of surgeon skill and experience - my sister had a BHR at her local hospital and it has been catastrophic - revision to THR and a lot of bone grafting.

Thanks for the input. I am looking forward to having had the op!

David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 04:16:33 AM »
I couldn't possibly say which is best but in my totally unbiased opinion with no experience of Mr Treacy I would go with McMinn any day. He did me in 2011 and my brother in 2000. Brother is still doing Karate and a year ago got his 3rd Dan.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

happyhopper

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »
Hi Granton
Good luck with your second op.
You mentioned that your sisiter had  a BHR revised and I wonder why.  Was it poor placement by the surgeon or other reasons and what were the symptoms?  Which hospital and which surgeon did the original op and who sorted out the problems?  Did she have a ceramic large or small ball THR?  Any other information would be most welcome as I am looking at a revisal of my HR.  How is she now?

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat