+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Boston  (Read 3088 times)

Arrojo

Boston
« on: April 19, 2013, 11:46:31 PM »
I was already planning on running the Boston Marathon for the 7th time in 2014 to prove a point.  (Namely to those doctors who told me I would never run again).  But now it takes on a whole new meaning.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

kimberly52

Re: Boston
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 06:06:10 AM »
Sure does.  My husband has been running The Boilermaker for about 25 years now.  Not sure if you are familiar with it, but it is ine of A erica's largest 15K road races.  After this horrific week for Boston, I am having reservations about his race this year.  It gives a very uneasy feeling for me having him run it this year.  So sad because it is normally a joyous event for our family and friends.  This year, we will probably be looking over our shoulder.  :'(
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:32:44 AM »
Arrojo why don't you run to raise some money for the survivors? I'm toying with the idea of running the Royal Marines commando challenge later this year to raise money for help for heros a British charity for Service personnel who have been injured in Iraq and Afghan
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Arrojo

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 10:11:23 AM »
Sure does.  My husband has been running The Boilermaker for about 25 years now.  Not sure if you are familiar with it, but it is ine of A erica's largest 15K road races.  After this horrific week for Boston, I am having reservations about his race this year.  It gives a very uneasy feeling for me having him run it this year.  So sad because it is normally a joyous event for our family and friends.  This year, we will probably be looking over our shoulder.  :'(

kimberly, I have heard of the Boilermaker race!  Your fears are understandable, but we can't stop road racing because of a couple of evil knucklehead terrorists.  We can't all become victims.  We need to continue to live our lives to the fullest.  Isn't that why we go our hip resurfacings?  Go and cheer your husband (and yeah, keep looking over your shoulder as well).   :)

Arrojo why don't you run to raise some money for the survivors? I'm toying with the idea of running the Royal Marines commando challenge later this year to raise money for help for heros a British charity for Service personnel who have been injured in Iraq and Afghan

Danny,  my running club (of which I am VP and Track Coach) is doing this.  We are joining with the local football team to have a 5K to raise money and the club is also making its own donation to the One Fund.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 10:33:20 AM »
That's a good cause mate. Good luck with that!

Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 06:41:12 AM »
I know how you feel.  I've run Boston also along with eighteen other marathons.  We want to show these creeps that they can't stop us.  But, there's always a but, I'd say that Boston is one of the last races we should be running with so much downhill in the race.  Do you really want to pound your new hip and the other one for that much downhill.  Then, there is the other marathon you'll have to do to qualify.  That's a lot of long distance racing and training in the next year.  It's up to you but don't forget about your hips when making your plans.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Arrojo

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 03:58:33 PM »
Living in New England, it's pretty much impossible to find a road or trail race without uphils and downhills in it.  In fact, I am hoping to do a couple of mountain races this summer (some of which go up in the first half and are all downhill in the 2nd half).  Anyway,  figure I may retire from marathons after nexy year anyway.  I only wanted to prove a point.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM