+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Most difficult exercise?  (Read 6844 times)

packman

Most difficult exercise?
« on: May 10, 2013, 08:32:08 AM »
Recently just started more advanced leg/hip strengthening and now 7 weeks post-op
Curious what other HR people found their most difficult exercise.
For me it is lying on my back and lifting my leg 2 feeet off ground and holding for a 10 count - working my way up to 30 reps then later 1 LB ankle weight and 2 lb ankle weight - supposedly when I can do 30 reps with 2lbs leg strength will be normal - recommended 3 times a day and this exercise I dread
It seems like it will be a long way off (FYI - so easy with my non-op leg, my gait is normal with no limp, other exercises side lifts, quad stretches, pulling knee to chest etc. not as difficult)
Wondering if others found this normal?
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Dee Dee

Re: Most difficult exercise?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »
That is the tough one for me too!  Keep at it and it will get easier
Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 11:47:50 AM »
That was tough when I started outpatient PT. My toughest at seven weeks was the same move but sideways.

At three months (when I stopped outpatient PT), I was doing 3 sets of ten reps with a five pound weight - I could feel it when I stopped but it was doable. It's normal to feel challenged now, but you will make good progress.

Each time you challenge the hip, it will have trouble at first, then come through quickly. You'll be surprised how you take things for granted in a few weeks that were kicking your behind.

Keep it up, you're on your way.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

chuckm

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 01:11:41 PM »
Packman, be very careful with that exercise so you don't over do it. The psoas tendon usually runs over the hip capsule and there is a bursa there too help ease the friction. During hip resurfacing the capsule is cut and the tendon drops down along the metal device. There is lots of healing needed there.

I'd say follow your surgeon's recommended exercises.

I chose to completely abandon those exercises involving straight leg lifts. I've read on this site where Dr. Su says to avoid straight leg lifts for some time just so you don't aggravate the psoas tendon.

At about three months my strength came back in that area without specific exercise.

Chuckm

Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

lycraman

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 06:17:25 PM »
That is a nightmare of an exercise!  Even now, at 9 months post op, when I am fitter in many ways than I have ever been, I still find that lifting my operated leg to fasten shoe laces is weaker than I ever expected.  Straight leg raises, as you describe are now ok but it took quite a few months to be able to do that.  Take it slow and gentle but you'll get there.
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat