+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scheduled for July -- Thank you all  (Read 2476 times)

Juno

Scheduled for July -- Thank you all
« on: May 11, 2013, 09:52:56 PM »
Hi, I am new to this site and wanted to send a Thank YOU to everyone who has posted before me -- the information on this site is invaluable. What a Godsend.

I am a 48 yr. old woman who has been active all my life. Up until 9 weeks ago I've taught high impact aerobics since college. I have run several 1/2 marathons (the most recent in Nov 2012); I cycle, I hike, I love to weight train and do power yoga flow. I'm also a Registered Nurse and a Personal Trainer. I've had "hip flexor" pain off and on for 5-6 years. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I might actually have issues with my hip joints! (since none of you did either, I guess I should just join the group!) :)

This past year I have had significant pain in my hip flexor, gluteals and radiating knee pain. I could tell my ROM was diminishing.  Sleeping became difficult and getting comfortable sitting for any length of time became painful. I would get thru teaching my aerobic class on pure adrenaline and then suffer afterwards -- sometimes not being able to get out of the car after driving home. I was limping all the time. I've tried weekly massage, ART and even saw a Chiropractor. What really pushed me to finally make an appt with an orthopaedic doctor was two-fold -- My husband and I went to Disney World (sans kids -- my children are college age) and I could barely walk more than 1/4 mile without having to stop and stretch or sit -- the limping got so intense. Several weeks after that we were flying on a 2 hour flight to visit our son at college and the plane ride just about did me in -- the pain in my back and glutes was so intense.

So, off to the big Atlanta based ortho office I go! The xray showed bilateral hip degeneration -- severe osteoarthritis of bone-on-bone. Of course, being female I have dysplasia as well. The ortho doc gave me instructions to stop all impact activity, 6 weeks of PT and prescription anti-inflammatories. I was flabbergasted! I'm a RN and couldn't even think of the right questions to ask. Total shock. He told me to try to do the best I could to try to prolong surgery (of course he recommended a THR). To say my life came to a screeching halt was an understatement.

Well, here I am 9 weeks after that day I sat in the Atlanta ortho office. I saw 2 more surgeons in Atlanta and one of them did recommend HR -- he was a wealth of knowledge and if I didn't know better I probably would have let him do my surgery.  But,  I am happy to report I was able to be seen by Dr. Gross last week (3 hour drive from my home) and have surgery scheduled on my right hip for July! My left hip will require surgery sometime in the future -- for now the left causes me no pain and I haven't lost ROM in it yet.  I'm sure that will probably change within the year -- Dr. Gross was really surprised that my left was bothering me as it actually looks a little worse on the xray. My right is more dysplastic though.

Sometimes I worry that I am rushing into the surgery. I am in less pain now than previously, but of course I am no longer doing all the activities I love. I just want to get my life back. I am hopeful that with a smart recovery I will be back to my old self in a years time.

So, Thank you! Without this site I may not have known I had options.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

obxpelican

Re: Scheduled for July -- Thank you all
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 10:13:22 PM »
Good choice, you'll do fine.  Dr. Gross is arguably one of the best in this country, I'm glad I made the drive, I got my life back and I can play basketball, racquetball, water ski and golf.

I am going on 5 years of hip health this August.

Soon you will be back to normal.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

evant

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:31:40 AM »
Good first post.

Great choice of surgeon.

Your body (and your mind) will thank you for acting rapidly and getting on with the surgery.

Good luck.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

packman

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »
Welcome Juno from a recent newbie too
+1 or total agreement on Pelican Chuck's post - Dr. Gross's entire team displays the utmost professionalism and experience
Expect to go thru some continued pre-op anxiety but I found the stories and assurances on this site invaluable to convince me of the right decision.
I expect a woman of your drive and accomplishments (someone posted earlier said there are quite a few Type A's here...), will be seriously challenged to rein back early expectations- glad to see you recognize this with the term "smart recovery" and "one year". I know I am at just over 7 weeks but my bone on bone pain disappeared immediately and I feel the muscle stretch challenges.
His team will give you a good ice machine and packs for the drive home - hope your car has a good reclining passenger seat, and that you are short - swinging/bending your legs to clear the door frame (I am tall) and inching your butt back on the seat was a challenge for me then
Best wishes
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

claudia

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »
Hi Juno,
Welcome!  Great that you found this site. 
I'll be having right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on June 19th.  After 2 arthroscopic surgeries and 5 years of putting up with the pain after activity, I'm finally getting it resolved. 
You are very fortunate that an ortho actually recommended hip resurfacing.  Many of us had to research the options because that was not offered by traditional orthopedists.

If you have questions, this is THE place to be.  There is rarely a question that someone can't answer for you on this board.  It's amazing.

Keep us in the loop as you progress on your journey.

Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

keepmovin

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 11:07:13 AM »
Welcome Juno!
It's so nice to hear from women who are having the resurfacing!  I find it's so difficult to receive the proper support and guidance when it comes to making that final decision.  I too was diagnosed with mild dysplasia late in life (52) and it took about a year of research and aggravation before I finally made the decision to have my resurfacing on my left hip.  A Dr. friend had a bilateral and referred me over to the surgeon who did his in NYC - Dr. Su.  He then referred me to this site and what a help it's been!  That was two years ago.  My right is coming due but I'm boarder line.  I'm not quite bone on bone but MRI shows a lot of degeneration, I have a labral tear with cysts and other things going on an the hip ortho I saw will not do surgery because of all the damage in there.  He did give me a hip shot which has helped tremendously but I'm only putting off the inevitable. 

I have back issues (had all my life) which I'm convinced came about because of my deformed hips! ::)  I am/was very active, was a runner but always thought something wasn't right.  I got tired easily and really couldn't run long distance without loosing stamina.  I now contribute that to my misaligned hips and a fast degenerating back.  So far, I have a great left resurfaced hip - perfectly positioned and no metal issues (had my blood checked recently).  However, it's not as strong as it should be because my back isn't strong enough to tolerate the strengthening exercise I want to do.  I'm working on this and would like to get this resolved before I have the right hip done - right now, I scheduled myself for the right hip July 2.

I was off the site for about a year and just recently came back on.  After reading all the back post, I came across a thread started by a group of women who also had the dysplasia.  I would love to resume that discussion and may look into contacting them.

Keep us posted!  I thought about talking to Dr. Gross as well so I'm anxious to see how you make out. 

Cheers!
Keepmovin :)   
LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

Dee Dee

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 12:43:42 PM »
Hi Juno,

Welcome.  The time until July will fly by.  Enjoy your summer since the rest and anti- inflammatories have helped ease your symptoms(but not healed the cause). I worked my hips like crazy getting things done around the house and yard before my 1st surgery.  I survived with pain meds and ice but felt like I accomplished alot.   I had great help with post surgery care from my husband and 3 weeks of meals from my Sunday School class.

Great Surgeon. Hope all goes well!

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 03:27:07 PM »
Hi Juno

Welcome and I am glad the site was helpful.  Dr. Gross is one of the best hip resurfacing surgeons  in the US. 

Good Luck and keep us updated when you can.  There's a great group of very supportive people here willing to help and answer questions.

Pat
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 03:28:52 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Juno

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 03:41:32 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the support! To all of you who are having surgery soon --- I am so hopeful you have great recovery and are pain free ASAP! We will all be in the same boat, at about the same time.  :)

For the last 2 days I have tried not to take the diclofenac. I just hate putting all these meds in my body. Well, big fail! Today after yoga and doing some shopping I am limping and really hurting. Just took the diclofenac and am sitting icing my hip/butt now. I guess my little experiment was unsuccessful -- it's almost like I had to do it though to prove that the more intense pain was real. Just this past week and I starting to get little twinges in my left hip -- a sign of things to come. I told my husband that if after the right gets done I am pain free, then we are just going to schedule the left for December!

I am going in  too see my nurse practitioner on Thursday for my complete physical and blood work. All that will be left will be to get that information to dr. Gross's office and wait for pre-op day. We are heading to Hawaii for 10 days on May31st and also have trip to the Naples, Florida the first week of July...so I would be well rested before surgery.

Here's a quick question --- I work as a RN in the school system. I am in administration and have 7 schools that I liaison with -- I oversee their schools clinics and support the clinic aide, work with medically fragile students and do all the school training a. It's a busy job that keeps me walking, in and out of my car several times a day and on the phone a lot. I do not work summers....this is awesome! But work begins back up on August 5th --- this is 3 1/2 weeks after surgery. What are your thoughts on me being able to return to work at that time --- I could conceivably work from my office for at least a week.

Sorry so long! Thanks!

obxpelican

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 09:32:10 PM »
IMHO I think 3 1/2 weeks is pushing it, not that it's not been done but at 3 1/2 weeks is just the point where you start making the turn towards feeling really good but you are still not nearly as strong as you were pre-op.

Push for 5 weeks, do your work from the office.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Marco Polo

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 07:25:20 AM »
Juno:  I agree with Chuck.  Going back too early will slow down the recovery process.  I returned to work part-time after 3 weeks, which allowed me to continue my physical therapy for another couple weeks.  I then returned to full time at five weeks, which worked well for me. 

Everyone heals differently, and you may be ready at 3 weeks, but it is on the aggressive side.  I would work from home another week if you have the option.
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

PattyM

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 10:40:02 AM »
Juno,
I agree with Mark and Chuck. I returned to work at 3 wks part time . I am feeling exhausted most days and I am 8 wks out today!
The first time I took off 6 weeks and was feeling like a champ!
It could make a big difference in your recovery. If you are able to work from home
do it!!
Good luck.
patty
Right BHR Della Valle 8/20/12
Left  BHR Della Valle 3/18/13

podgornymd

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 08:40:29 AM »
Juno,

I am only 3.5 weeks out form LBHR and i work in an emergency room so alot of walking and bending and lifting . After reading stories on this website before surgery i thought being young and healthy and very active, I would recover quickly like some on this website but unfortunately i am what they call a turtle. I still have a slight limp and thigh pain.It is improving quickly but there was no way i could have gone back to work in 4 weeks like i had planned. I am going back in 5 weeks. What i have learned fromthis  site is everyone heals at different speeds and you cant predict who will be a rabbit or a turtle. If i were you i would try and get as much time as you can to recover b/c you dont want to jeopardize your rehab and have a setback. I was feeling pressured to get back to walking because i had to be back at work and it caused a setback in my rehab.

I think you made the right decision and good luck.

obxpelican

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 09:01:43 AM »
Some very smart points about when you should go back and the fact that everyone heals differently.

If you listen to your body and your doctor you're going to be fine, the people who play the rabbit and not listen to their doctor are idiots, we've seen a number of idiots on this forum who push it only to cause themselves a revision, yes some have good outcomes but many will have problems.

Pick a good doctor with experience and good numbers and you will be fine.

Chuck

Chuck
8-6-08

Juno

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 07:59:06 AM »
Thanks for the replies regarding returning to work. I promise not to try to be superwoman :)
I'm a RN, so logistically I understand what is about to happen to me -- separating the emotional side is hard, isn't it?

I have always had a high pain tolerance. I am ever the optimist and generally a happy person.  I now understand how completely constant pain can cause you to become an emotional mess. After gardening 1/2 day Monday and most if the day Tuesday, I was totally debilitated Tuesday night and Wednesday. 6 months ago I was in pain but still teaching my anaerobic classes, running 3 miles 3x a week and generally getting thru the day on Advil. Now, I can't imagine doing all of that. In fact, I've basically reduced my exercise to the elliptical 30 minutes a few times a week. I'm in a rut and just hope and pray I can get my physical and emotional life back.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy! I'm just so tired of this pain and limited ability to do things.

Husband and I are headed for Hawaii tomorrow --- some much needed relaxation and reflection is needed. We were going to go hiking in Lanai, but now I am not so sure I will be able to do it. last week in June we head to The Florida coast and then 4 days in Disney -- I fear he might have to push me thru the parks in a wheelchair. July 10th surgery can't get her soon enough.

Thanks for letting me vent and your ever present support. This is quite a journey.

Juno
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 08:00:55 AM by Juno »

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 11:43:12 AM »
Juno, the emotional recuperation is just as important as the physical. I hadn't understood how much it had impacted me, until afterwards people remarked on it.

It is very hard to be positive like normal under unrelenting pain. Even if I was, my loved ones were always worried about me, always looking for when I took a misstep. That is now history.

One thing you can focus on mentally is the improvement that you will have. The pain is there now, but you have taken a concrete step to gather your life back to you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat