+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Kicks - 1 yr post op 2nd BHR  (Read 6553 times)

Dozer26

New Kicks - 1 yr post op 2nd BHR
« on: May 12, 2013, 08:26:15 PM »

Here's a note from the future for those of you thinking of going down the path of having more than one of these mysterious devices fused with the rest of your musculoskeletal system. I was just like you two years ago, stumbling onto this site, looking for information. Bottom line up front (BLUF): Do your homework, make your decision, then press on with the recommendations of your surgeon. If you're at this point, the only other option is a hoveround and that just sucks. So man/woman up and get in the fight!

First the relevant details on me. I was diagnosed 12 years ago with osteoarthritis, both hips, and the only option presented was an eventual twin total hip. At that point I was late 40's, with a new job, a new house, and a new baby. I'm also in the military (reserve side) so this was a career ender. I'm also a runner, a hockey player, and most importantly, a husband and a dad. This was bad news on all fronts.

Ray of hope - my wife heard of some radical new (then) procedure that avoided lopping off the top of your femur and increased the probability that you could return to the life you knew before. Unfortunately the nearest doc doing this at the time was in the UK or New York City (New York City?). That was enough to push me to decide to delay the inevitable, at least until I returned from what I was certain would be my last deployment.

Yada yada, time passing... found a doc (Peter Brooks, Cleveland Clinic), got lined up and had 'em done, roughly four months apart. Followed the post op recovery, rest and rehab steps (lots of pretty lame at first seeming exercises), and most importantly, the restrictions on lifting (40#), running (no) and jumping/impact (again no). It was dull, boring, frustrating, well aside from getting out of yard work that is, and generally a year plus pain in the ass. All I had was a hope that doing so would up my chances. Given the cost (high but I had good insurance), alternative (see above), and strong desire to return to being a full go hockey playing running military dad and husband, I was highly motivated to follow the orders of the good doctor.

Ok, so I've kept ya in suspense long enough. Last thursday was my 1yr ann on hip two. Dr. Brooks saw me, read the x-rays and the tea leaves and said I'm good to go. Shook his hand and told him I hope I never have to see him again (for surgery) - but he told me I will at the 2, 5, 10, etc. yr. mark - and headed off to see what I could do. In short, everything I want to do.

First go was a short run that for most folks would be glacially slow. I was just happy to see that my stride was still there and that after going the distance (short) nothing had fallen, cracked or snapped off. Slept well that night and woke up to an unfamiliar pain of well worked muscles - not the hip pain I'd known or feared. Victory! Followed that up yesterday with a romp through the woods with my son and a couple other scouts on an orienteering course. What fun! I was literally running over highly varied terrain, jumping over creeks and logs, and laughing at my good fortune and lack of pain. No doubt I enjoyed it more than any of the kids on the course.

So that's it for now. I'm pain free, can tie my shoes without gymnastics, can cross my legs, have sex, sleep, cut the grass, wrassle with my boy, in short whatever I want to do. I'll post again after I hit a few more milestones (1st 5k, 1st time on the ice, 1st truckload of mulch moved, etc.). Let me just end with a strong note of encouragement - you've suffered long enough. Do something positive and do your research, find a doc, make an appointment, and talk honestly about your expectations and fears. This may be the best course of action for you. From day three of my new life I can tell you it was the best one  for me and I'm glad I made the decision I did.

If I can assist, please post your questions and I'll do my best to answer. Lots of real pros on this board who are willing to do the same, so ask away and best of luck! 

Courage!

Shelby

Bilat BHR Dr. Brooks, Cleveland Clinic
Jan/May 2012

evant

Re: New Kicks - 1 yr post op 2nd BHR
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 03:37:44 AM »
Great post.

Have read many good reports about your surgeon Dr Brooks so good choice.

Glad you've got your high quality life back.

I like the description of your first short run - at my first year anniversary I look forward to doing the same.

Good luck.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 12:12:55 PM »
Great post, Dozer - glad to see you're doing well. Happy times to have all restrictions lifted. You've still got some improvements to go, I felt significant improvements until two years, still have minor ones now.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 06:10:28 PM »
Dozer,

Thanks for the sit rep, very good to hear from you, and that you are doing so well.  I keep telling anyone who will listen that the HR's are magic.

Hern is right, you will continue to improve over time, and your muscles will bark at you from time to time as they continue to heal.

I have a truckload of mulch inbound next weekend, and have exceeded all the restrictions since my 1 yr, and aside from expected muscle soreness, contine to improve.

Best regards,

Dn
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Dozer26

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 05:53:12 AM »
1st Run without stopping/walking. Just down and back (1.8 mi.) but it was a long held goal that's finally been achieved. More importantly, the hips were not a factor. Rather, they were not a limiting factor - not a peep out of 'em. Tip of the hat to Dr. Brooks and his team for making today possible. Bummer, now I have no excuse about that pile of mulch the DW wants moved...
Jan/May 2012

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 12:32:23 PM »
Good stuff, the only drawback with the removal of limits is the removal of excuses to do what the DW requires.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dozer26

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 05:50:35 PM »
You know it! But hey, I've had enough time off and I'm looking forward to answering the call. Who knew cutting the grass could be fun? Seriously though, ran 2.5 miles this morning before work then on the way home I moved helped a friend move some furniture. Oh, and I spent a week in the field with my son at scout camp, making the rounds on my two foot taxi. Lots of over hill over day type ambulations. Bottom line, the new hips continue to exceed expectations. And to think just a couple years back I was watching those hoverround commercials with a mixture of keen interest and resignation... Onward!
Jan/May 2012

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat