+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2.5yrs post op, pain in my left hip after playing  (Read 7751 times)

Nosajxl

2.5yrs post op, pain in my left hip after playing
« on: May 13, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »
Hi All,

I was really pleased to find this site and to discover the quality of life after hip replacements, I had both hips replaced in a bilateral operation in Jan 2011 and have not looked back since. I play competative soccer (football) here in Australia and last season experienced a lot of psoas pain that would die down after a stretch and heat pad etc. This year however, I have been experiencing acute pain in my left hip when i run, it doesnt feel muscle related but rather is right in the joint itself. This seems to be a common issue with over training and I am wondering if there is anything (other than not training as much) that i can do to prevent it. I have started taking triple strength fish oil and a supplement called tri-flex but with no effect.

I have booked back in with my Dr but can already hear what he is going to say, please let me know your experiences, I am really enjoying being fit again and mostly pain free, the last thing i want to do is stop/cut back but i will be sensible...mostly :-)

thank you

chuckm

Re: 2.5yrs post op, pain in my left hip after playing
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 08:10:48 PM »
You said you had bilateral hip replacement - not hip resurfacing correct? I'm sure there are some hip replacement folks out there that can help if that is the case.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Nosajxl

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:44:56 PM »
Sorry, I meant bi-lateral hip resurfacing. I'm a newb at this...

chuckm

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 05:46:21 AM »
You might have to go back to some basic strengthening exercises for the hip area and core. Despite playing soccer you could have some muscle atrophy that is now causing some imbalance when you train.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 10:50:18 AM »
Hi All,

I was really pleased to find this site and to discover the quality of life after hip replacements, I had both hips replaced in a bilateral operation in Jan 2011 and have not looked back since. I play competative soccer (football) here in Australia and last season experienced a lot of psoas pain that would die down after a stretch and heat pad etc. This year however, I have been experiencing acute pain in my left hip when i run, it doesnt feel muscle related but rather is right in the joint itself. This seems to be a common issue with over training and I am wondering if there is anything (other than not training as much) that i can do to prevent it. I have started taking triple strength fish oil and a supplement called tri-flex but with no effect.

I have booked back in with my Dr but can already hear what he is going to say, please let me know your experiences, I am really enjoying being fit again and mostly pain free, the last thing i want to do is stop/cut back but i will be sensible...mostly :-)

thank you

Hi, there are many possible sources for that pain, most likely related to muscle or maybe scar tissue that hasn't resolved itself.

However, you want to get the serious questions looked at first, to clear your mind. I'd go to the doctor, tell them what you're feeling. An XRay or an MRI would clear the air about the structure of the HRs and any muscular issues.

After those are hopefully resolved, your mind can be clear to rehabilitate the muscles. It may be that as chuck mentioned, you need some more work on the smaller supporting muscles, especially if you've ramped up your workouts lately.

Good luck, probably just muscular issues, but it's good to be as sure as possible.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Nosajxl

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:21 PM »
Thanks Guy's

I really appreciate the suggestions and 4 days after playing the pain has died down to the point of non-existence...nearly. I did think it was muscular as well and initially the psoas pain was releived through stretching, rolling on a foam roller and general strengthening excersises. I work with a PT once a week on a number of core excersises and lateral excersises including ladder etc so beleive that the smaller muscles are infact in a fairly good shape, I also swim once a week which helps. The pain I was feeling at the weekend though felt unlike the PSOAS pain I had last year and also unlike any muscular pain that have had which led to the concern. It felt as if my bone had been bruised if that is at all possible....

I am booked into see my doctor in a couple of weeks and will see what he suggests, in the meantime I will see how it feels after this weekends game and go from there.

Do either of you use fish oil or any other joint mobility supplements?

Thanks guys

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 02:42:14 PM »
Fish oil pills every day (the ones that don't make you burp  :o  )

Plus I've taken up yoga once a week, which seems to help with overall muscle fitness.

One other thing - are you making sure you're fully hydrated? The synovial fluid that lubricates the HR can be affected if you're not hydrated enough. Having played soccer, I know I get dehydraded, so it may help if you load up on fluids before working out.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 02:44:32 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Nosajxl

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 08:20:42 PM »
Thanks for this, I hadnt considered hydration as being a factor and am generally pretty slack when it comes to drinking enough water. I did take up pilates for a while last year which helped a lot initially but then the pain in my psoas became so bad during leg raises etc that i gave it up and took up swimming instead. I should proably think about taking something like that back up again though...

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat