+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Hip Story  (Read 4632 times)

brianebanta

New Hip Story
« on: May 15, 2013, 02:57:31 PM »
Hey there,

I have been lurking here a bit and wanted to introduce myself.  I am scheduled to have a R BHR with Dr. Callander on 5/21.

A bit of my story...  I started running when I was still in elementary school, and loved competing in fun runs, 5ks etc. up till HS when I ran Cross Country and Track.  In my senior year I started to be plagued by "leg problems".  Through college I played Ultimate frisbee at a fairly competitive level and continued for 5 years after.  I was also active with hiking, backpacking, surfing, mountain biking, skateboarding, yoga etc. 

I first started noticing something was wrong probably at 25 when I would have a weird clicking in my hip sometimes.  By 28 I noticed that my range of motion was starting to be different on my right side during yoga and would sometimes notice pain after a backpacking trip.  By 30 I was aware that something was wrong and sometimes experienced pain after activity. By 33 pain was a more normal experience (I almost completely gave up running) and I started sleeping with a pillow between my legs. By 35 pain was a daily experience and I started restricting my activities no more running but still active in other ways. Here I am at 38 deal with a constant low level of pain and walk with a prominent limp and if I do anything active it requires tons of Ibuprofen before and after to even get around.

I am excited and a little (ok a lot) nervous to get a new hip, and get back to being the active (and pain free) person I want to be.

-Brian

kimberly52

Re: New Hip Story
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
Hi Brian,

Your story is a familiar one where it progressively gets worse and your activity is severely modified/limited due to pain.

I took a ski trip to Telluride in January and had to load up on the ibuprofen just to enjoy a couple of ski days.  Still could hardly walk after each ski day. Ugh!  Same for all other physical activities.  If I didn't do anything other than sit around I would be fine.  However,  the thought of giving up such enjoyable moments of our lives just is unacceptable.

I was very apprehensive about the procedure but found that everyone at the hospital does their best to ease your stress and they are very effective doing so.

I can say from my limited experience at only 5-weeks out that it goes very quickly.

Possibly you can use your free time the week before surgery focusing on relaxation and enjoyable activities with friends and family to ease any anxiety you may have. 

Best wishes for success.  I will be interested to hear how your recovery goes.

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 04:49:09 PM »
Hey Brian, welcome to the site - it's coming up fast! Keep us posted, you're going to love not being in OA pain (I know I did).

The recovery is not easy, but compared to the old pain, it's worth it from the time you wake up. Good luck!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 06:22:26 PM »
Hay Brian and welcome! The road to recovery can be bumpy times buy big it's worth it!

Well done on taking your first steps in the right direction!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

evant

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 05:21:50 AM »
Good first post.

Very sad that you've suffered so long.

I honestly didn't feel afraid / nervous having my surgery - I just felt total confidence in my surgeon. I'm sure Dr Callander and his medical team will make you feel you're in very safe hands.

Very best of luck.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

packman

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 04:39:26 PM »
I echo the best of luck, your courage and your research into finding IMO what is an excellent solution to conventional replacement for younger people.
Lurk away and get all the advice you can from the newbies like myself and some of the veterans - it is invaluable to your mental well being and comfort
Your future euphoria is imminet - just be patient with the process (no pun intended)
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Arrojo

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 11:25:26 AM »
Good luck tomorrow.  We are all here for you, this is a great site with a lot of good people and a lot of good info.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

brianebanta

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 04:12:58 AM »
Hi,

Thank you all for your support.

Got my BHR earlier today, and everything seems to have gone smoothly.  Had sedation plus a spinal but I was out, like way out.  Took a little over 1.5 hours for feeling in legs to come back.  Surgery was at 12 and I was in my room by 4.  They have some automatic foot pumpers which I think helps with the swelling.  I have been dozing lightly since 7 thanks to the dilaudid. So far so good.   :)

Will start Occupational and physical therapy tomorrow, and hopefully be out of here sometime Thursday. 

-B

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 04:19:49 AM »
Good luck with your rehab and congrats on joining the Hippy club.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

evant

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 07:12:51 AM »
Great news - well done.

You'll soon be on your way home.

Best of luck with your recovery.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 07:55:30 AM »
Brian
Congratulations on the new hip.  Sounds like things are going well for you.  Take it easy and you will be on the road to recovery.  Keep us posted when you can.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 09:34:22 AM »
Hi,

Thank you all for your support.

Got my BHR earlier today, and everything seems to have gone smoothly.  Had sedation plus a spinal but I was out, like way out.  Took a little over 1.5 hours for feeling in legs to come back.  Surgery was at 12 and I was in my room by 4.  They have some automatic foot pumpers which I think helps with the swelling.  I have been dozing lightly since 7 thanks to the dilaudid. So far so good.   :)

Will start Occupational and physical therapy tomorrow, and hopefully be out of here sometime Thursday. 

-B

Congrats and welcome to the other side!

I loved those leg things, I know some folks didn't, but for me it was like having a massage for hours on end. LOVED 'EM...

It was explained to me that it was for several purposes, but mostly to keep blood flowing and help blood clots from forming early on.

brianebanta

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 05:00:20 PM »
Thank you all for your posts of support. Here's an update from 2 days post op. 

Struggled yesterday with fogginess from all the drugs in my system.   A huge milestone was getting the catheter out. Slept much better last night. Today has been better, and able to make some progress with occupational and physical therapy. The pain level is really manageable on 1 10mg percocet every six hours but even that has me foggy.  The foggieness is probably a blessing in reminding me to slow down.  Will probably spend one more night here depending on PT outcomes later today.  I have accepted that this is a marathon not a sprint.  Already amazed at how little pain I am in. Have taken a couple short trips using the walker and crutches mostly for balance.  Depending on how I feel I may even taper that off altogether or only use at night.  Looks like I will be discharged with buffered asprin for blood clot prevention.

Is it possible to be excited and humbled by the road ahead.

-brian

Frs

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 10:03:31 PM »
Hello all I'm 43 year old male I'm from Perth in Australia . About two years ago I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left hip . Over the last two years I have had many injections spend thousands dollars on medication . Spent thousand dollars on pyhso but could never feel right it started to interfere with my work and my life . One thing I know about arthritis of the hip you can never get rid of the nagging pain . Anyway over a year ago I started to do my research and I came across hip resurfacing never heard of it . I always thought hip replacement was the only way to rid of this decease , any way I started to talk with vicky a little regarding hip resurfacing she ask me to send her my X-rays so I did . With in a few days I heard back from a few doctors who looked at my X-rays and they all said I was a perfected candidate . So in knowing that I emailed overseas medical and a guy mark got me a price for going to India to have my surgery with doctor boss . Anyway I started to research on all the devices see what's the best and also started to look at home . Perth Western Australia I was surprised as not many doctors In Australia . Most of them was in Sydney and Brisbane 2000 miles from me . Any how I started to look around Perth and came across a doctor here the name professor piers yates . I started to read his profile and I notice he learnt from the best resurfacing doctors in the world . I also notice he had only done 300 plus .its not many but I see all theses doctors doing 1000 3000 they had to start from zero . So any way I made appointment with him . Wow he was great very nice and professional . He explained he only does curtain candidates special criteria . After looking at my X-rays he sat down next to me with resurfacing devices and said David you fit my criteria . Wow all that weight gone of my shoulders . I'd found a surgeon who I trusted and believed in . After searching for a year or so and the many appointments with other doctors who said sorry we only do full hip replacements . I'd found my doctor . So we sat and signed my surgery date and I left feeling so happy and relieved . So today is six days after surgery and wow I'm feeling a million bucks . No nagging pain all gone . I'm on crutches walking around two hours after surgery and every day is getting better . Now I've been told six weeks on crutches then open road to full recovery .. I can't wait to see my doctor again just to say thks . What a great surgeon professor piers yates ,, 21/5/2013 adept device

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 11:08:14 PM »
Great story, Frs - what did they tell you about recovery after the crutches are gone?

evant

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 02:24:41 AM »
Frs - interesting to hear a story from Perth.

Glad you managed to find a surgeon who you felt fully confident with.

Best of luck with your recovery.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy

brianebanta

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 10:47:26 AM »
Update from Day 8!

I am so glad I had the procedure done.

I feel like I am healing quickly.  I would say the biggest challenge is slowing down and following the restrictions and just resting.  Never thought of myself as type A, but it seems very difficult to not be productive, or moving very much.  I have to remind myself that my "job" is to rest up and heal.

Looking back on the last week, I would say the greatest initial challenges were related to the surgery and drugs, getting the catheter out and coming off the strong medication and getting my digestive system normal again really helped.  Now the pain is manageable with ice, advil, and only a painkiller at night. 

Because of the holiday weekend I haven't seen my in home Physical Therapist yet, but I have been walking a little each day. I tried to do 1/2 mi one day but it completely drained me.  I take at least one nap a day.

A little bit about my Post Op situation:
I had internal sutures, glue, and steri strips.  The incision looks good, no draining, swelling or weirdness.
I am on 2 weeks 90 deg restriction, and 3 weeks crutches, no driving for 3 weeks.  Hope to return to my job on week 4. Follow-up with Dr. Callander @ 3 weeks.  After that I can get into the pool.  : )

Just taking it day by day, and enjoying the little successes.

-Brian

brianebanta

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 02:45:43 PM »
Hey guys,

Just a quick update from the city by the bay

Coming up on 3 weeks, and feeling much stronger, had a bit of a setback when I was hit by a stomach bug. The incision site looks awesome and I was lucky to be spared the swelling most people seem to be hit by.  Still on the crutches and no driving till I see the doc next week.  Finally weaning off the pain meds and feel more myself on Tylenol, Advil etc.

Able to walk up to 1/2 to a mile or so on crutches, of course then I need a 2 hr nap. Seem to have a few good days, then a day when I have no energy.

Looking forward to getting clearance to get in the pool and do some stretching.

-brian

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 04:00:27 PM »
all sounds good, brian - keep it up and you'll be wondering where any pain went.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat