+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fat Burners - Bike and Elliptical - others?  (Read 6552 times)

packman

Fat Burners - Bike and Elliptical - others?
« on: May 17, 2013, 07:55:26 PM »
I have a hard time cutting the food intake and have targetted 15 lbs of weight loss now that I am post-op cleared for stationary bike (getting the seat right for the knee height) and elliptical both of which get my heart rate up. (yes @55 I do use a heart monitor)
Any warnings from anyone - did my first session tonight and felt great, and will it help in muscle strengthening?
Any other ideas for alternatives that don't pound the joint like running, which also get the heart rate up?
Thank you in advance
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

sdunn4

Re: Fat Burners - Bike and Elliptical - others?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 08:53:32 PM »
Packman,

Yes, I used a Concept 2 Rower once the restrictions were lifted (Dr. Gross was longer than I expected at 6 months for rowing).  I also used my bike on the fluid trainer starting indoors at 6 weeks.  Good luck- I am at around 18 months and finally getting back to my "normal" weight!  I think the sooner you deal with it the quicker you will get back to your desired spot.

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

maxx6789

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 10:28:15 AM »
they say ... "abs are made or lost in the kitchen". although i think (and use myself) the spin bike, elliptical, and at times the rower (the rower is a great workout), your results will improve with a better diet. you probably can replace a few "not so good things" in your current diet with a few other "not as bad things". my short story ... after 13 months of hip surgery, i have lost over 15 pounds and i am less than my pre-OA weight. i eat a lot less bread and chips and eat a lot more yogurt, carrots, and nuts but still have pizza at least once a week!!
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 01:38:19 PM »
I dropped a good amount (40 pounds) that were not going away with exercise. I used Dr. Gundry's diet, which I found out about here.

It uses a diet free of any grains and sugars, which really worked for me. It is stringent, so you need to be ready for it. I didn't cut down on portion size, but changed radically (to my south american eyes) what I ate.

I eat bread rarely to not at all now. The same with some great favorites like pasta, rice and beans. I eat mostly leafy vegetables and any kind of protein. No fruits, but do take vitamins to make sure that I'm nutritionally covered. No soda of any type (diet or hi octane) and mostly drink water, tea or some coffee.

I will periodically go off the reservation, but it is the exception and have mostly switched from beer to clear spirits for when I do drink. Overall it's worked well, but as I mentioned, you do need to be ready to make the transition not as a diet, but as the way you eat.

Just my 2 cents, that is what worked for me.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

packman

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:56:49 PM »
Just thought I would share, that in 3 weeks of gym exercise and diet, I was able to trim 5+ pounds. The next 10 will not be as easy as I transform my body from sedentary fat to active muscle (ok a little exaggeration but you get the point). Eating - staying with loads of salad and lean meats (no breads, no juices but water / some G2 sport drinks) plus my vitamins.
I continue to follow the Doctor's advice - no running, no lifting of more than 50 lbs. In fact I do not do any squats, lunges, dead lifts or any lifting from a standing position. Only doing bench / shoulder / inclines from a seated position with machines.
I focus on cardio - the elliptical striders are great for loosening up the hip joint, then after 20 minutes there I do my "lifting", then it is back to the stationary bike for 20 minutes. I started with no resistance and am keeping a low resistance - I do not care if others watch or wonder why the resistance is low. I have found this has really helped my leg strength and comfort in walking.
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat