+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 4.5 weeks post op  (Read 2129 times)

podgornymd

4.5 weeks post op
« on: May 19, 2013, 05:12:34 PM »
Just an update. I am 4.5 weeks LBHR and took alot of your advice from previous posts. It is still trial and error with how much or little to exercise  and rest. I never had to take any pain meds and my ROM has recovered pretty quickly for some things. i was able to put my socks on at 3 weeks but i still cant get off the crutch(s). i still have a slight limp and pain when walikng. In terms of exercising i have been tryng to walk with crutch(s) 2-3x/dy for a total of 1.5 miles/dy and spinning 2x/dy for total of 1 hr.
then started getting in the pool and running with floatation device and swimming 200yards with a pull buoy 3x/wk. I am also doing PT 2x/wk and on my own. I feel sometimes i am doing too much so i have to slow down a little. My quadricep is still very sore ever since surgery but thanks to your advice earlier my groin pain has subsided. Not sure why my quad is till sore almost like lactic acid type pain.

I am wondering how often you recommend PT exercises compared to walking and spinning. It seems like sometimes PT exercises hurt . I am used to powering through pain in my training for mtn biking races but may not be good idea in rehab.

Thanks again for all the support and great advice.

hernanu

Re: 4.5 weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
Sounds to me like you're handling it right. I started inpatient PT pretty quickly, outpatient about four weeks out.

Many folks here didn't use PT, though so whatever exercises benefit you are fine, anything that brings you pain, including more reps than you can handle is ok to step back from. Ultimately, it's up to your body, so let it guide you as you go.

I'd walk as much as possible. Spinning always made my hip(s) feel better, more limber. Don't power through anything, the first six months are for healing the bones, muscles and locking the device into place, muscular gains are great, but take a back seat initially.

It gets inverted later, since after six months you have more and more confidence in the device.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

evant

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 01:21:30 AM »
It sounds like you're doing really well considering you're still relatively early in your recovery.

If I encountered any unpleasant pain I immediately stepped back from what I was doing.

Good luck going forward.

rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Arrojo

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 11:21:27 AM »
Sounds to me like you're handling it right. I started inpatient PT pretty quickly, outpatient about four weeks out.

Many folks here didn't use PT, though so whatever exercises benefit you are fine, anything that brings you pain, including more reps than you can handle is ok to step back from. Ultimately, it's up to your body, so let it guide you as you go.

I'd walk as much as possible. Spinning always made my hip(s) feel better, more limber. Don't power through anything, the first six months are for healing the bones, muscles and locking the device into place, muscular gains are great, but take a back seat initially.

It gets inverted later, since after six months you have more and more confidence in the device.

Good advice, yes walking is the best thing at this point. At 6-8 weeks, consider a deep tissue massage to start getting rid of that scar tissue .
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 04:30:02 AM »
Sounds like you are doing the right things but don't over do it too soon let the bone heal at its own pace. Force it and you weaken it as I found out the hard way. Check out my story as a cautionary tail.

In short I did too much to soon so my bone tried to reform too quick making its structure weak. Then i tripped and fractured the head of my femur. All good now after a much prolonged rehab although lost a CM in height on the BHR side due to the crush fracture.
McMinn told me off but said that the biggest problem with BHR patients recovery is the fact that by nature we try too hard too soon. If we all did exactly as the surgeons say I think there would less revisions.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal