+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 months post OP - swollen knee BHR side no reason  (Read 5385 times)

chuckm

6 months post OP - swollen knee BHR side no reason
« on: May 21, 2013, 10:28:39 AM »
I've had an absolutely spectacular recovery and am just passing 6 months post OP.
Been playing soccer Tuesdays and Sundays. And walking/jogging Mondays and Thursdays.

My LBHR has been flawless. But, this Saturday, my left knee below my LBHR swelled up and remains that way today (Tuesday). I exercised the Thursday before and I was perfectly fine the next day. Then Saturday swelling. It's not a grapefruit but it does have fluid and is a bit sore to the touch and causes me to limp just a bit. It's tight in the back of the knee especially. I've never had a problem with me knee before and I didn't do anything that I can remember to cause this.

I wonder if fluid from the hip can settle in the knee. I'm confused because icing the knee did nothing. Anyone have this before?

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

hernanu

Re: 6 months post OP - swollen knee BHR side no reason
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 10:52:26 AM »
Sometimes it's tied to overuse, chuck. There are several reasons why you could have it, but one is if your muscles supporting the knee are not strong enough for what you're asking.

The best thing is probably to see your doctor to eliminate some possibilites - infection is one that you want to clear your mind about.

Since you're very active (as many of us are, and remember I'm not a medical person), then you're pushing muscles that are not totally used to it. Did you ice it?

Try rest and ice, but if that doesn't respond, I'd get your doctor involved. Doesn't sound like something with the hip, other than the OA weakened your muscles.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

evant

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 11:39:32 AM »
I had fluid around my knee for @ 3 - 4 months post-op.

Initially it was painful and significantly hindered movement of the knee. In it's own time it simply got better for me, but it took a long time. I found that icing did not help it.

At my 6 week check-up I made a point of asking about it - there was no concern, only to inform that it was a by-product of the hip surgery during the healing / recovery process.

You've been incredibly active post-op - I'm sure you're still going through healing / recovery and will naturally encounter episodes like this.

For your peace of mind, call or visit your Doctor or Surgeon.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

chuckm

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 12:18:47 PM »
Thanks Hernanu and Evant,  I had that swelling down the leg and at the knee for about four to six weeks too, but once it was gone It never came back.

My guess is two days before I had the swelling appear in my knee is that I may have over done it for the first time. For six weeks now during my three-mile walks I had been mixing in a jog for the second mile and back to walk the third. But instead of a slow 10 minute mile I dropped it to 8 minutes and that probably set off the knee. The fluid could have started right away but I didn't begin to notice it for a couple of days.

Sure did catch me by surprise though because the BHR side of my body felt better than the other both during and after.

Chuckm

Left BHR 11/30/12
46 years old

evant

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 01:05:58 PM »
Glad you can see a logical possible / probable cause for the swelling.

So, can I eliminate you from the list of soccer retirees this week:

David Beckham
Michael Owen
Paul Scholes
Jamie Carragher
Chuck M
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy

chuckm

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 01:19:34 PM »
That is correct. Chuckm NOT retiring - yet. It'll take more than a knock on the knee for that.

Who are those other wannabes?  ::)
Left BHR 11/30/12
46 years old

evant

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 01:36:50 PM »
Exactly - who are they?

Good fighting talk - you're good to go for another 5 years.

Suggest compulsory recovery period Sat 25 May Borussia Dortmund v Bayern Munich.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy

chuckm

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 03:03:26 PM »
I'm sure my club would be willing to sign Jamie Carragher in a heartbeat to keep him out of retirement...of course for no pay and no signing bonus either...no car, house, masseuse, etc. and so on and so forth.

I'll be rooting for underdog Dortmond during my recovery period. Thanks!

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
46 years old

hippy hippy shake

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 04:20:04 PM »
I have no medical background, so I am speaking from the experience of 1 person.
But, when you mentioned the back of your knee, it made me think of the Baker's Cyst that I had, stemming from a torn meniscus in my knee.  It in itself is not a problem, the excess synovial fluid being produced is the symptom of the injury to the knee. 

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bakers-cyst/DS00448

I never did anything with that meniscus tear, and right now, knock-on-wood, it has been fine.
Hope yours is something small.
Bilateral BHR 4/18/2013
Dr. Su

chuckm

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 04:59:39 PM »
Hippy Hippy Shake - I think you are right on with the Baker's Cyst. You should apply to medical school right away.

Looks like osteoarthritis has found its way to my knee >:(

What's the world record for total number of joints replaced. I'm only 46 and right knee has severe OA, right hip is on its way to severe, right shoulder moderate, right big toe severe.

And of course my left hip was severe but good now :D

Chuckm

Left BHR 11/30/12
46 years old

hippy hippy shake

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 05:17:46 PM »
I'm sorry to hear I might be correct on that one.  Of course it would be better if it was just muscle tightness.   Good news is that I have not had to have surgery on my knee, (and will attempt to avoid it the best I can).  I believe that the injections have been quite successful for the knee - might be a path worth considering first.  But I would recommend have a OS look at it to survey what damage is causing the Baker's Cyst. 

BTW,  I only realized I had mine, when it ruptured.  My entire leg was swollen and the doctor first had to make sure it was not a blood clot (simple ultrasound).  Then I had an MRI.  The OS at the time said I could put it on hold.  It was better for 5 years, then swelled again.  After recommendation for arthroscopic surgery, I waited a little  while (as I had a vacation coming up, an I didn't want to be rehabbing through it).  Then it cleared up.  It's been fine since.

Good luck with your knee - and stay informed.

Bilateral BHR 4/18/2013
Dr. Su

chuckm

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 07:46:05 AM »
Guys I went to the orthopedic Wednesday - 11 days after my knee swelled for no reason. No baker's cyst. Tightness in back of knee was from fluid but not any that pushed its way out.
X-rays showed a perfectly normal knee. They did the test where they physically manipulate the knee to check the menisci and no problem. Theory is that I aggravated ligaments but not enough to notice they were injured; however, they did aspirate my knee and a sample of fluid is being sent to check for Lyme disease (tick bite) which is prevalent around here and could cause local swelling of the knee.

Hernanu, you are most likely correct (again) with overuse. The knee, although perfectly normal, has not run a full mile in many years and with the new ROM in the hip it is like new territory for the knee below.

The good news is that a lot of fluid was removed and has not returned. The knee is feeling pretty good now.

Thanks guys.

Chuckm

Left BHR 11/30/12
46 years old

hippy hippy shake

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 08:45:57 AM »
Chuckm,

Sounds like the best of possibilities.  Take it slow and build back into it.  Thanks for letting us know.
Bilateral BHR 4/18/2013
Dr. Su

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM