+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Worst nightmare ? Warning, Graphic x-Ray  (Read 8833 times)

B.I.L.L.

Worst nightmare ? Warning, Graphic x-Ray
« on: May 30, 2013, 01:34:08 AM »
I have a friend who had a metal on metal thr about 3 years ago. He was having high ion, pain and rom issues and had to have it revised. He was doing great then this happened last sunday...

Thought I'd post this just to show how much better a re-surface would be in a bad crash scenario. I'm sure the femur would have broke regardless, but in his case I think the stem down the femur made it much worse. He had surgery today, when I talked to him yesterday he said the plan was plates and screws. Hope they get him back walking  :(
Be carefull out there Hippy Bikers...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 01:36:48 AM by B.I.L.L. »

evant

Re: Worst nightmare ? Warning, Graphic x-Ray
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 03:47:21 AM »
Oh boy that's an unpleasant x-ray.

I'm amazed, but so glad for him, that they think it can be fixed with plates and screws.

I can only wish him good luck with yet another recovery he'll have to go through.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 04:59:39 AM »
Ouch! Hope he recovers soon!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 07:23:14 AM »
Damn Bill!

You're right, the femur would have gone, one plus is not taking the implant along with it with HR.

Reminds me of sroberts' picture. He got through it, good luck to your buddy.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 10:24:52 AM »
Yeah I thought that looked a real good add for resurfacing, could have been a clean break ? Know way to know but that sure looks like it shattered around the stem to me. I'll post the after x-rays if he puts them up. (I took these of a motocross site) I think it's time for him to hang up the mx boots and just hope he can stand upright and walk again. He's a surfer too, I'm gyuessing that will have to be the new passion. Maybe he'll risk it and keep riding, I don't think I would, trail riding maybe, racing ? probably not. Bummer part is he said he slid out in a slick corner and wasn't hurt, but 3 guys ran him over, :o said he felt the frame rails blow right through his leg, and that he knew instantly what had happened. It was the second turn in a race, he got the holeshot in a field of about 30 guys, slid out and wham. Had he fallen 2 laps later he probably would have been fine, hindsights 20/20.       

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 11:36:21 AM »
Just bad luck. Hopefully the break is clean enough and the plates do their stuff.

Thinking good thoughts, at least with surfing, those guys won't be there.

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 01:54:09 AM »
Update. He sent the after x-rays to my phone but I haven't tried to get them on the computer. No plates or screws due to not being able to screw through the post so it looked like they basicly zip tied around it. They used some kind of wire or cable wrapped around the outside. It's been a couple months and he's off crutches and riding his bike around. He's one lucky dude !  (Well not crashing and getting run over would have been luckier) But all things considered he's pretty stoked.

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 12:24:51 AM »
Happy to report he is doing well. He's back on a surfboard, riding his bike etc. I don't believe he has any immediate plans to race motocross again, although he has started riding his dirt bike again, he's not the brightest bulb on the string hahhahahaha. I don't know who his doctor is but he must be one amazing surgeon.  8)

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 09:25:29 AM »
Good stuff, Bill, congrats to him, we all have different number of lumens at different times in our lives, depending on what we're doing. I've sometimes lit up a room, other times, stumbled in the darkness.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal