+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 Weeks Post-Surgery with Dr. Gross  (Read 2908 times)

JEFF A.

3 Weeks Post-Surgery with Dr. Gross
« on: May 30, 2013, 02:58:47 PM »
I am currently 3 weeks post surgery with Dr. Gross and I wanted to share my story, progress and comments with the Group.  I am a 60 year old avid softball player in the Boston, MA. area, and I found and selected Dr. Gross in large part due to this group so thank you all for taking the time to provide your stories. 

First I am amazed at my progress at this point; after 3 weeks I can walk 20 minutes with a cane and no pain - 4 weeks ago I couldn’t walk to the end of the block. 

For those of you who have or might have swelling in the future, I did also my first week - the leg swelled from top to bottom almost 2 to 3 times its size, but Dr. Gross’ team assured me that would resolve and in fact it did as soon as I was up and walking on a regular basis in week 2.

I had a lot of pain the first week and made good use of the pain meds to be comfortable.  As of this week I am now completely off the meds and good to go.  I am amazed at those in the group who went without meds, but I would say to those approaching surgery; don’t plan on being a hero - take the meds that are prescribed to you and be comfortable.

After the surgery I came down with a Urinary Tract Infection that is not uncommon with a catheter.  I also had an “in and out” catheter while I was still in the hospital that probably added to that likelihood (if you can’t go, you can’t go).  In order to address it I went to my Primary Care Doc to get an antibiotic.  For those of you considering this surgery long distance, keep in mind that no local Doc will touch major complications, but you need to have some medical care locally in support for minor complications.  Dr. Gross’ team of Nancy and Lee are always there to help you long distance.

I also had a fluid discharge from a bump in the bottom of the incision for over 2 weeks.  Dr. Gross prescribed antibiotics for that and after 2 weeks it sealed up, but a minor bump is still there (seranoma).  There is no infection.  I have sent pictures to Dr. Gross weekly to monitor its progress and get almost instantaneous feedback from the team. 

Pre-surgery, Dr. Gross‘ team was awesome working with my insurance.  Frankly, I was amazed it was approved, but it took a personal peer-to-peer call from Dr. Gross to the medical evaluation team with my insurance.  How many Docs would make that extra effort, especially one that has patients lined up months in advance?

In terms of overall communication, Dr. Gross‘ office has a secure website where you can get almost instantaneous feedback. However, phone calls tend to get lost in the shuffle, so it is a less effective means of commo.

Sleeping, as is well documented is a nightmare early on.  A side and stomach sleeper that flips and flops like me is in for many long nights.  All I can offer is please be careful, as especially early on when you are on pain meds, your mind will be telling you to move in ways you shouldn’t move post surgery.

If at all possible, have someone with you at the surgery and especially after you get home.  Just doing things like filling the polar care unit with ice can be a major effort and possibly lead to you moving in a way you are not supposed to.  Without my loving wife, I would probably have re-injured myself multiple times in these 3 weeks. 

The stuff I got (purchased) as part of the surgery have all been very useful - the polar care unit is awesome, the cane and crutches have been great and the hip kit (grabber, sock puter-oner, and long shoehorn all come in handy).  Don’t cut yourself short buy them and use them.

I did not find the toilet chair that goes over the toilet to work that well.  I found that sometimes when I urinated it found a space between the chair and the toilet and went all over the floor!  Since I had items around the toilet that I could use for leverage, I abandoned the chair very quickly and haven’t missed it. 

In summary, any inconveniences I mentioned are for your awareness, but the positive of being able to walk without pain, 3 weeks after surgery have made it all well worth it.  I look forward to playing softball once I am fully cleared by Dr. Gross (6 months after surgery).  Thanks again to all of the group and good luck to all of you considering this surgery.       

evant

Re: 3 Weeks Post-Surgery with Dr. Gross
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 03:11:29 PM »
Great detailed post Jeff.

Glad you're doing well.

Best of luck going forward with your recovery.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 03:20:24 PM »
Great first post, Jeff!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 04:00:54 PM »
Jeff

Congratulations on your new hip.  Glad you found your way here  ;)

Sounds like things are well under control and you are doing well.  Take it easy in the beginning, there will be plenty of time to push that hip later this summer.

Good Luck and keep us updated when you can.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Miguelito

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 07:48:42 AM »
Congratulations Jeff! You certainly have the right spirit.

Dr. Gross is The Man!

Expect (some) setbacks. Be patient, which it sure sounds like you already are. I am 13+ months post-surgery and it is really only in the last few weeks that i find myself running up stairs (in my house if I was in a rush, for example, and not for exercise). I wasn't sure that I would ever be doing stuff like that again. My point is just that a really full recovery takes a while. I'm sure I could have done more physical therapy and sped things along, but I'm getting there in the end.

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

podgornymd

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 01:34:18 PM »
Congratulations Jeff!! I am 6 weeks out from LBHR and like so many others i have already had a few setbacks in my rehab by doing too much. It is really difficult to find that balance of too much vs too little but if possible err on the too little side.

I agree with you there were some invaluable devices for me too. the sock device , the game ready ice machine, and i ended up learning about a chair on this site which was incredible the first 3-4 weeks . We dont have a recliner so we bought the lafuma zero gravity chair. It was difficult sitting in a regular chair and this chair took the pressure off the glute area.

Jeff i had to give up the ice machine ,i could have bought it but was too expensive. what ice gadget do you have ? did you buy it.?

Good luck on your recovery.

JEFF A.

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 06:00:38 PM »
Evant, Hernanu, Pat; Thanks for the shout out and support.

Mike, Great advice from someone who's been there at 13 months out.  Even at 3 weeks when I feel no pain it is easy to not pay attention and, for example, try to go upstairs by starting on the operated side (a real bad idea).

Pod, Thanks for the reply.  I bought the Polar Care Unit at appx. $250.  It was not cheap, but it has been invaluable since the surgery.  Honestly, I think going forward I could get by with ice wraps that can be bought at CVS.

Again, appreciate the thoughts and advice.

Jeff

bestbob

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 09:39:07 PM »
Jeff, It was great to read your tips, along with hearing that all is going well. My RBHR is scheduled for June 18 at Euclid General in Ohio, by Dr. Brooks.
RBHR June 18, 2013, Euclid General Ohio, Dr. Brooks

JEFF A.

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
Bestbob, Best of luck on your coming procedure.  Jeff

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat