+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Thanks to Dr. Gross  (Read 2641 times)

kleinink

Thanks to Dr. Gross
« on: June 05, 2013, 05:03:44 PM »
One week out.  About to toss my very cool and blinged out Mobilegs crutches as I don't really need them.   The only trouble is the killer migraine from trying to kick the Nucynta.   I tried to stop it at day 3, but the nights can be challenging.   I am so glad I made the 3000 mile trip out to SC for Dr. Gross.  The scar is small, the bruising: minimal, and best result of all,  I am almost walking normally in only 7 days.   I didn't expect a result this good.  Wow.  I am thankful. :)

obxpelican

Re: Thanks to Dr. Gross
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:23:57 PM »
It's difficult to beat the experience that you get from Dr. Gross and his staff.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:29:30 PM »
Congrats on the great outcome, enjoy it!

The one thing I'd suggest is to not rush to get off the crutches, you want to get back to a good gait, walking well. You don't want to develop habits that you'll need to unlearn due to going off too early.

You are the best judge of that, but patience with everything is the key.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

JEFF A.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 01:03:33 PM »
Congrats on your successful procedure.  Please don't rush to get off the pain meds, crutches and cane.  You've got at least 6 months to fully recover, and you are not going to get addicted to the pain meds in 3 days or 3 weeks.  You'll find yourself feeling good and that's when you'll do something to remind you you are just out of surgery, or possibly set you back.  Take time for yourself and enjoy the ride!  Jeff

kleinink

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 09:18:25 PM »
Thanks for the great advice.   The main reason I am in a rush to get off the pain meds is the killer migraines they give me.       When did you all decide to transition to the cane?  I think it would help normalize my gait.

packman

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 10:25:19 PM »
Everyone can be different on the migration from crutches to cane. I believe Dr Gross and Lee Webb suggest in their documents that after week 2 post-op, that the cane can be used on your operative side. I know I was very heavy on the cane (i.e. a lot of weight / force) such that my right arm got a little sore and stronger in the process, and I felt a bit of muscle pain during walking in week 3. You will put more weight on the hip in the transition to the cane. However for certain movements around the house like steps up to our shower, I kept the confidence by using crutches for balance
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

podgornymd

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »
I am 7 weeks out and i tried to rush the transition i think too early and developed a limp which was tough to resolve. i finally got off the cane at 6 weeks. I would tell you from personal experience not to go to a cane until can walk a few steps without limping or having significant pain,but also remember that everyone heals differently and you may be ready alot sooner. The main thing is dont rush it, your body will let you know. Good luck!

eman

JEFF A.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »
Kleinink, I went to the cane at 2 weeks per Dr. Gross' instructions.  I found myself a little wobbly with the cane for the first day or two after the crutches, but adjusted well after that.  I am now just over 4 weeks and am starting to walk without the cane, and have also found myself a little wobbly for the first day or two, so I take the cane with with me when I am not "just walking" and may find myself off balance.  Best of luck - I know it will go well for you!  Jeff

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat