+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Now the other side  (Read 3036 times)

steveallan

Now the other side
« on: June 05, 2013, 06:11:40 PM »
Went back today for 12 month check up, all looking great they said but your left side is shot. Next thing I know I'm sent to pre op and have a date for 18th of July.
To say I'm a bit shell shocked is an understatement.
I will have to think long and hard if I'm going ahead this time, I wanted to wait a couple years to get my finances straight after the last op :(
At least the right side is looking good after a year :)

obxpelican

Re: Now the other side
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »
If your hip is not denying you the things that you enjoy to do or it's not causing you issues at work you can wait, or the pain is not bad, don't even think about it, cancel it.

A bad hip is not going to kill you, it's may hurt like heck when it gets bad though.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

John C

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:18:57 PM »
We are certainly not medical people nor qualified to give medical advice, but I have to agree with Chuck. If you were not feeling that your other hip was a problem (which is the impression that I got from your post), and you are scheduling surgery just based on X-rays, I am not sure that having surgery at this time would make sense for me unless the X-rays show something unusual that may cause problems if you wait. While it is true that most resurfacings work out great, complications happen which can sometimes be very serious. If you are not experiencing fairly serious problems in your life from your natural hip, you must take a good look at what justifies taking on the risks of major surgery before you need to. I have few friends who are orthopedic surgeons and who do joint replacements for a living, and even though they limp around on joints that x-rays show are "shot", they continue to postpone surgery on themselves as long as they can still do the things they love with the help of medication; a perpective worth considering.
To me the bottom line is that the X-rays can confirm it, but your personal experience with your hip is what tells you when it "is shot".
Good luck on whatever your decision, but make sure that it is yours, and not something that you were run through while you were "shell shocked".
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:35:43 PM »
I agree with John and Chuck. You run your life, and as much as I love my bi surfaced hips, I knew the time was right for both to be done.

You'll know when the time is right. I know I did - keep an eye on it, but if there's no need right now... You also want to feel in control and fully invested in the decision.

When it is time, though - my second has been great.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

steveallan

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 06:04:56 AM »
Thanks folks, I'm gonna postpone it. If I have it now it will bankrupt me lol. So it's back on the pain meds :)

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 07:32:42 PM »
Celebrex is the only thing that really helped me in the end, I was bone on bone though and could only walk 50 yards at a time without having to sit down.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

steveallan

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 03:29:31 PM »
Thanks all, gonna see how it feels towards end of the year then reassess :) I have a fairly heavy job so it will let me know soon enough lol

steveallan

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 11:19:16 PM »
Hey hernanu
As I'm going to be in your position with a matching set soon I have a question.
Might seem daft but here goes, I
 Work as an electrician so spending a lot of time working kneeling down. At present I get up carefully, just wondered what it's like with two, is it easy to get up

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 10:53:47 AM »
Hey hernanu
As I'm going to be in your position with a matching set soon I have a question.
Might seem daft but here goes, I
 Work as an electrician so spending a lot of time working kneeling down. At present I get up carefully, just wondered what it's like with two, is it easy to get up

Sorry Steve, I missed this - it is easy to get up for me now. It was one ofthe big aha! moments when I got to the point where I was doing all sorts of getting up and not thinking of it.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat