+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Mayman HSS 2013  (Read 2836 times)

don_markos

Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Mayman HSS 2013
« on: June 08, 2013, 10:21:24 PM »
Im 42, 6', 185 lbs and I'm lying in the hospital bed 24 hours after my left BHR (Mayman, HSS in NY)... The soreness and pain have gone away for the most part, only putting direct pressure to get up or move do I feel discomfort. 3 times today I walked around the hospital with my physical therapist, each time got better. The first time I got up and put pressure on my hip I thought I was overdoing it but it's a matter of trust... After about my first 20-25 ginger steps I felt the hip being able take my full weight.

The recovery is happening faster than I can report this. I'm amazed! As I walked today I noticed how free my hip moved, I'm only restricted by soreness otherwise I have a normal stride and my gait is free and natural. I can feel the range of motion and I can't even use it yet!!!

Can't believe I waited so long to do this... I hope this helps the next person, who may be on the fence about doing this, move forward confidently... It's a true game changer!

More to come...

MarK M, NYC

PS it was this site and all the info and support I got that convinced me to do it... Best thing that ever happened to my regarding my health and physical state.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:23:22 AM by Pat Walter »

Lauren Lee

Re: Thinking about it?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 11:36:39 PM »
Thank you Don. I am having my surgery on June 17th and appreciate all the encouragement I have received here. We got a treadmill that we can put on the first floor because the one in the basement is huge. I am looking forward to using it everyday!! Best wishes on your continued great recovery!!
RBHR on June 17, 2013

don_markos

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 01:49:05 AM »
Awesome! Thanks Lauren, you'll be lapping the treadmill quickly and best wishes of the 17th!!!

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »
Congrats Mark! It's great to feel that OA pain gone, isn't it?

Keep it up, follow your instructions and it just gets better.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

don_markos

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:40:31 PM »
5 days post op...

Most major pains have become little pains, can move with confidence, lift my leg, walk to the store, get around pretty well. Felt some stiffness and groin pulling but started stretching which dramatically improved that, (my pain and flexibility were pretty bad prior to the procedure). Ice packs are my new best friends and applying them all over the hip area and especially to the wound also helps with pain and overall comfort.

Home PT and Nurse discharged me at day 3 but they also explained I'm recovering faster than normal, so adjust accordingly. I think my biggest hurdle now is the swelling, which isn't bad but prevents me from going full throttle with PT and stretching. Laying or sitting for long periods can be a pain maker so I try to move around every 30-45 minutes.

Havent slept through an entire night yet but getting closer. Probably stop the pain killers by day 7. Starting outpatient PT on day 7... lets see if I need the meds after that?

Will update but my two cents = if you are hesitating to get it done, you will most likely be delaying for nothing and will also have great results. Could have/ should have done this a year or two ago.

Mark :D

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 07:39:23 AM »
All good, Mark - you sound like you're doing great.

Here's the hardest part of this, especially if you feel this good and are making progress. Keep to your doctor's regimen, no matter how good you feel. This is not just a muscular healing, but a structural healing first.

Your bones need the time without extra pressure to grow into the implant and become as strong as you need them to be. The six months (at least) time until impact is usual with most doctors (I had a full year before martial arts).

So enjoy the great progress, but keep your restrictions in mind and feed your patience. Six months seems forever (if that's what your doctor said) but it pays off for (forever hopefully) a long time.

Really great results, keep it up.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:40:01 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

packman

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 08:20:27 AM »
Don - I could not agree more with Hern. Careful on the stretching - IMO this seems quite an aggressive early treatment so early in the process. You have a euphoria on the degree of change now compared to your previous state, that will acclerate your expectations that you are "cured"
I implore you to be a turtle on this!
You have plenty of time on your side at 42. I found the athlete in me and male ego/pride to fight thru pain the most significant challenge in the first 6 weeks of implant "seating". Once your get the post-6 week xray clearance from your Doc, that's the time to ramp up further with a PT
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

chuckm

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 08:54:46 AM »
Yeah, lay off the throttle. I recovered incredibly fast and went back to soccer in less than six months and I'm 46. But I babied my hip for the first three months. The only pushing I did was to regain my range of motion. I gave it a tiny bit of gas at seven weeks just to make me smile and then right back to idle for another five weeks. I concentrated so hard to be careful just getting around the house even when I felt 100%. My fear was getting too careless, tripping and trying to catch my balance awkwardly on the new hip.

I also had a fear of doing just a little too much every day in the first few months. I envisioned that as the bone was constantly trying to remodel itself to accommodate the daily stress I put on it, I wondered if each night it was enough time for it to react. What if it really needed two or three days and now every day was contributing to an eventual fracture. Yikes!

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Mayman HSS 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 11:24:30 AM »
Hi Mark
Congratulations on the new hip resurfacing.  Sounds like you are doing well.  I put your story in the Hip Stories section and mentioned your surgeon in the title so others can easily see who you used.

Take it easy and keep in touch when you can.

Good Luck.

Pat
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:25:33 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

don_markos

Re: Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Mayman HSS 2013
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 05:55:55 PM »
Hey guys,

3 weeks today and it's all going great. All your advice is right on spot, I've kept the turtle pace for sure and I'm always thinking about the long, big picture. Keeping in the Dr's plan has been key.

I just about stopped the pain meds at 2 weeks. I felt the soreness and wound but it wasn't bad (1-10... pain was 2) and I knew I was close to not needing them.

I feel some "skidding" or "catching" in the new hip but it's not painful and I know that it's settling. i'm pain free and can really see the increased range of motion during PT. Easy stretching (within the program), during the last 3 weeks has really helped relieve stiffness and pain and has helped the leg and hip re-bond.

I'm super stoked on the progression, hope the other newbies are too!

Mark

P.S. Thanks Pat

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat