+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 mos Post Op by the numbers  (Read 3196 times)

Manofword

6 mos Post Op by the numbers
« on: June 11, 2013, 09:54:25 PM »
I am just past 6 mos Post Op and wanted to post what I've been able to do since I started training again. NOTE: This is not recommended for anyone to go at the pace I've gone. I'm just chronicling my recovery and what I've done. Follow your recovery protocol.

I run 53 mi.
I've biked 500 mi.
I've swam 25 mi.

None of it aggressive. Running is 10 min/mi or just a little under at 9:30/mi.
I am up 20 mph avg on my bike.
Swimming is 2:00/100m

Pain is gone. Limp is gone. No noise. Internal scar tissue is greatly minimized through massaging it. My quick step has returned and I can take long & strong strides w/o any discomfort! I am truly blessed!
Phil. 4:13  -  RBHR Dr. Brooks 11-28-12 Euclid Hospital/Cleve. Clinic (48/56) (no more pain!)

evant

Re: 6 mos Post Op by the numbers
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 03:56:58 AM »
Great 6 month update.

You've put in a lot of work so long may you enjoy every minute of it.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 10:03:12 AM »
Good work.

No pain, getting back to your life is the goal. You'll still recover and strengthen for the next couple of years, so all good.

Congrats.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

chuckm

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:29:01 AM »
That's amazing. How soon after surgery did you "start training again". I began to introduce very light impact once per week at 4-1/2 months and then heavy at about 5-1/2 months...much to the chagrin of many on this site I'm sure.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

podgornymd

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 08:22:54 PM »
Thanks for the post. It sounds like you are back on track and hopefully be back to baseline soon. I am 8 weeks out and was wondering where i might  be in 6 months. I am a ultraendurance mtn biker who also is a big telemarker in winter living up in the rockies. My goal is to get back into the ultraendurance mtn bike scene by next yr. It gives me some hope after your post that i can get back to it. I have been swimming a mile 2-3 times a week and riding the spin bike with some resistance 4x/wk along with walking as much as possible. i turned the corner at about 6.5 weeks in terms of pushing a little harder on the bike,etc.

I cant wait to get on my bike outside. When did you start getting outside? How do you knwo when you are ready to start climbing? Thanks again for your progress. Cant wait to hear where you are in 3 months .

eman

Manofword

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »
That's amazing. How soon after surgery did you "start training again". I began to introduce very light impact once per week at 4-1/2 months and then heavy at about 5-1/2 months...much to the chagrin of many on this site I'm sure.

Chuckm

Actually, I started training at 6wks post op. Swimming & biking outside. I don't like biking indoors but I did just a little for ROM exercise. I was outside every opportunity the weather gave though. Swimming very easy at first, then built up to my normal 1mi regimen about 1 month after that. Biking was very easy as well. No hills and kept to about 20mi at a time. Since biking is non-impact, I was a little more aggressive, but still didn't get out of the saddle for about 3.5 months. Now, I'm out of the saddle w/o any problem. Running was much less aggressive and I only ran with a true front strike so as to cushion my stride instead of jarring my new pieces/parts. I ran 4mi two days ago and can still feel it a bit in the muscles but I just rest a couple days and take it easy and it gets stronger. I usually don't run any less than 5K when I run. Running pace started out at 11 and now I'm at 9:30 - 8:30/mi. I try to listen to my body and back off rather than push through at this point.

Although, now that I'm at the 6 month mark, I'm picking it up a little. I'm aware that healing is still taking place, so I'm not moving ahead with fear, just trying to move ahead with wisdom. I am in the gym lifting weights, but I don't do any leg presses. I did in the beginning 6-12 weeks with an empty sled just to get the ROM of my knee to my shoulder. Worked out fine. Hope this helps.
Phil. 4:13  -  RBHR Dr. Brooks 11-28-12 Euclid Hospital/Cleve. Clinic (48/56) (no more pain!)

podgornymd

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »
Hope your training is still on track. I started to pick up my training at 3 months and kind of overdid it i think about a week ago.I increased my riding with some climbing and next dy had the same psoas tendon flare up. It kind of incapacitates me. It causes pain and makes my leg feel shorter than good leg. Did you get any of that and if so how did you alleviate it. I am getting frustrated witht he starts and stops of my recovery. I was really doing well with swimming and biking and working. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »
Hope your training is still on track. I started to pick up my training at 3 months and kind of overdid it i think about a week ago.I increased my riding with some climbing and next dy had the same psoas tendon flare up. It kind of incapacitates me. It causes pain and makes my leg feel shorter than good leg. Did you get any of that and if so how did you alleviate it. I am getting frustrated witht he starts and stops of my recovery. I was really doing well with swimming and biking and working. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks

I had some psoas issues, they were helped and then resolved by using the amazing and tortuous foam roller. It takes a bit, but I found the relief fairly quick. still use it.

John C

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 03:49:55 PM »
Hi podgornymd,
I never had any psoas issues (not knowing any better, I started doing long sets of leg lifts to entertain myself during the first night after surgery; must of done hundreds to the dismay of the PT the next morning :o )
My issue was with the trochanteric bursa relating to the IT band. It was a problem from day one, thought it got better by six weeks. When I was where you are at 3 months, it was easy to get it flared up if I pushed too hard. It continued to flare up in response to big changes in activity for 1-2 years. Since then, no problems.
My docs advice back then, which I will pass on, was to move very gradually into any new levels of activity for at least the first year, and to be prepared to back off if things flare up.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Manofword

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 09:17:06 PM »
I don't think I had any PSOAS problems. Not even sure I know what that is. I have over 110mi running on my new hip so far now and have picked up the volume and the pace. Ran 10mi today at about 8-8:30 pace. Rode 60mi 2 weeks ago at 19mph avg. I couldn't be happier! Will be doing my first triathlon, a Sprint on Sept 7th then a half iron distance aqua bike the day after.

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 08:03:09 AM »
Excellent results, manofword, glad you're doing well.

Psoas is pain through the psoas muscles outside of the thigh, through the groin and up into you lower back. It's something most of us deal with at one point or another, glad you never encountered it.

Keep it up, sounds like you're really back into your routine.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat