+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Preventing Thrombosis injection post surgery  (Read 1415 times)

sharleen

Preventing Thrombosis injection post surgery
« on: June 14, 2013, 06:11:48 PM »
hi everyone - I haven't been on this site since my first BHR 3 years ago which has been a huge success! Sadly (. As warned) my other hip has gone and I will be receiving another BHR by Mr Treacey who visits Bermuda ( where I live) 3 times a year. I know that I am lucky! What I want to know is, I have been told by my local surgeon that I will need to inject myself daily for 4 weeks with innohep to prevent Thrombosis. With my last hip I did not have to do this. I am a TOTAL needle phobic! I talked today with someone from Canada (same age) who had recently had the same procedure done and she said that the " needle thing" is really old fashioned. There is something that you take orally nowadays. Can anyone tell me what the situation is regarding this. I had mentioned my phobia a while ago to my Local Dr and he said that if you did this you would continually have your blood tested to make sure that this medication was working - this obviously defeats the purpose. Please someone put me out of my misery!
Sharleen

podgornymd

Re: Preventing Thrombosis injection post surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 07:30:31 PM »
Hey Sharleen,

There are newer medicines out there other than lovenox which you have to inject.The one that is being used most commonly by ortohpedist is called xarelto. It is a pill . There are pros and cons to either one. HOpe that helps. good luck with your surgery and i couldnt think of a better place to rehab from the surgery.

eman

evant

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 02:56:57 AM »
Post-op I had to do 4 weeks of self injecting.

I also was not looking forward to this as I too am not so keen on injections.

However, the individual injection kit is so easy to use.

It looks child friendly and non-threatening.

The actual needle is very small. It enters at 90 degrees to the surface of your skin and no skill is needed to do this.

Your thumb and finger on your free hand pinches together a chunk of skin @ 2 inches either side of your belly button. (Swap sides each day).

Your other hand 'plops' the child friendly kit containing the very small needle into your skin, and then you easily and simply press down the small plunger to administer the injection.

It is easy and you can do it.

Best of luck with your operation.

rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 10:22:16 AM »
Hi Sharleen, I didn't have to use the injections for either of mine, just used the TEDs socks and daily doses of aspirin.

I think it depends on the surgeon, but as evant pointed out, it's manageable if needed. Is Mr. Treacy doing the operation, and what is his protocol?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

sharleen

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 02:44:49 PM »
Thank you so much for the input! Yes, Mr Treacy is doing the surgery which he does with one of our local orthopedic surgeons in attendance. Not sure how they work it but the only time that you ever see Mr Treacy is for about 10 seconds outside the OR. All the consultation is done with our local guy who is excellent! He did seem adamant about the injecting...just wondering why there is a difference of opinion amongst the surgeons as to which method to use.
sharleen

Lauren Lee

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 03:38:50 PM »
I had my r hip resurfaced Monday. I was on xeralto... I say was because I have numerous rashes and welts on my body- probably from the xeralto. Doc says they have has some complaints of allergic reaction. I friend of mine took it for 2 days and had massive bruising...several months later and still has them. The surgery was easy compared to the side effects of this drug.iwill be starting on aspirin tonight.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat