+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Let the healing begin!  (Read 4571 times)

Lauren Lee

Let the healing begin!
« on: June 17, 2013, 06:33:17 PM »
Hello hippy's! I am one of you now! Surgery went well except for an allergic reaction preop to IV antibiotics. Pain is very well managed . They got me up earlier  and I took a few steps. Tomorrow the work really starts. Can't wait!!! Thanks to all the support  on this site, I think that has nada all the difference!
RBHR on June 17, 2013

bestbob

Re: Let the healing begin!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »
Hi Lauren - It's so nice to hear from you, and that all went well. I was wondering if you were going to post a message today. Congrats, and I assume the pain that you had before is gone, and that it is now a different pain that the recovery process will take core of. WTG!
RBHR June 18, 2013, Euclid General Ohio, Dr. Brooks

Juno

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:26:37 AM »
Wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery. Take it easy and keep us posted on your progress. I am three weeks away from my surgery.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

packman

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:45:04 AM »
Congrats - look forward to you sharing your experiences. You will be on some highs and lows over the next several weeks, and as long as you are patient and do not expect too much too soon, you will enjoy a new future!
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

trgcfrg

• Hips Don't Lie
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 10:09:33 AM »
Congratulations, great to hear the surgery went well! Good luck with your recovery. I just had both my hips done since April 1, so I'm a little ahead of you. Just be patient the first couple weeks and follow doctor's orders and you'll feel better before you know it  :)
RBHR - 4/1/2013 Dr. Pritchett

http://hipsdontlie.azurewebsites.net/

evant

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 11:02:55 AM »
Well done.

Best of luck with your recovery.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

kate71

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 12:34:27 PM »
well done you! I am just over 4 weeks now so only just in front of you. Be patient with your recovery - my biggest challenge!! good luck!

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 01:13:54 PM »
Congrats Lauren Lee! welcome to the other side.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anna

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 02:30:09 PM »
WOO HOOOOOO!!! Happy healing Lauren Lee  ;D
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 02:50:13 PM »
Congrats welcome to the other side !
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »
Lauren
Great news.   Good Luck.  Looking forward to reading your posts later this summer when you  are walking and active.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Lauren Lee

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »
I came home this morning! A little more than 48 hours post op! Feeling good too. My low back and groin pain is GONE!!! The expected muscle and incisional pain is there but controlled. Very happy I had this done!
RBHR on June 17, 2013

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 03:51:17 PM »
Congrats Lauren!

Remember to hydrate, eat well, nap, follow instructions, RICE (rest, ice elevate ) and work on your recuperation. Keep your spirits up, some of us (I did ) hit some depression after a bit.

But most of all enjoy. It's not a cakewalk, but you will improve and leave all this behind.

Lauren Lee

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »
Thanks all. I got a little dose of reality my first night home...in spite of what everybody at the hospital said...I ain't all that and a bag of chips. :P Everything is a big huge effort. For example, I bought satin sheets because they help you slide out of bed. Slide is right...nearly onto my sorry sore butt which as you all know would be a tragedy. Nothing was easy or smooth. They must have used latex dressings because I have this big itchy red square where the dressing was. I need to be patient and chill-ax like so many have sad here.  Had myself some fine whine, a good cry, some good drugs, a good "God help me" wail and I feel better today. The nurse, and OT and PT are supposed to come today and I will be happy to see them. God still made the sun come up today. I'll be fine...really...fine...just fine...really..... ;)
RBHR on June 17, 2013

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 12:48:02 PM »
Well, you are all that and maybe a couple of chips right now. You're going to have challenges, and they will change.

What makes you cry today will be gone tomorrow, but there will be more things, as you heal and try more. Just go with the flow, and watch as things get better.

kate71

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 06:19:05 AM »
hi Lauren - really know where you are coming from,my first two weeks too so much effort to do such basic things but keep the faith because despite me thinking i would never get there 5 weeks later i have seen the light at the end of the tunnel and things are better and getting easier every day.

I cried a lot and I screamed at everyone who was helping me because I was so frustrated at everything! but now I am getting there! keep believing in yourself and use this wonderful resource to get some amazing support, and to shout and scream when you need to!! ;)

packman

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 08:28:53 AM »
No Question Lauren that the first week is the toughest. I was on such a high the first 2 days and a little ditzy too, but then the swelling and difficulty of regular motion set in for days 4 to about 8 that I sunk to some sadness. Venting and sharing experiences is good for the soul!

Now I could say "Suck it up Princess" for some motivation, but that would be totally disrespectful to the process - it does take your attitude of you'll be fine....really...you'll be fine to just wait for your body to signal some positive signs. With each day/week that passes, you will discover a whole new energy of outcomes that will reinforce that you made the right decision, plus the ongoing decision of being careful
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Lauren Lee

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 07:02:23 PM »
Thanks all! right now 6 days post op and dealing with raging rash and swelling of my right leg. If it wasn;t for those things I would be (almost) dancing.
I went off the Xeralto last night and am instead taking 325 mg aspirin. Also not taking the Norco...I really don't need it. I have applied cortisone cream, popped many Benadryl caps and am drinking detox tea. And it is not clearing up. I had an allergic reaction to the vancomycin in pre-op so maybe it's that. The surgeon on-call this weekend said prednisone would be ideal but that compromises the wound healing. So I am going to suck it up, put on my big-girl pants and keep putting one foot in front of the other.
Love all of the support on this site.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

bestbob

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 02:14:28 PM »
Hi Lauren - I am going thru most of what you are, although your whole leg is swollen, mine is down to my knee and I don't think as bad. You and I just need to have the faith all will be well, I am positive it will. What a pain (figuratively & literally) until then though. I am eating less due to the constipation, and will probably get a laxative as I do miss eating, but my stomach feels so full right now.

C-ya later, thanks everyone,

Bob
RBHR June 18, 2013, Euclid General Ohio, Dr. Brooks

Lauren Lee

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 09:46:47 PM »
I wound up in the ER last night. That rash was getting worse and my skin was on fire.
Also my foot was turning a funny color and the edema was from foot to upper thigh.  The back of my calf was red and hot so in I went. No DVT and the swelling is "normal". They think I've been a little too active. Put me back on my pain meds until the rash and hives subside. The rash is contact dermatitis...no telling where I picked it up. I think it may have been the sheets in the hospital or the spongy leg abductor thing. Feeling better today...well I've been sleeping all day! I thought I had "graduated" to the cane but went back to the walker yesterday.
The thing that scares me the most is dislocating...my new obsesion. Last night I was at the ER and the guy came out with the wheelchair. One footrest was down. I was trying to maneuver myself and pivoted and I will tell you...my hip let me know that was NOT a good move. Thankfully it was a warning. As a health care worker I know to put both footrests UP when putting a pt in a wheelchair. DUH.....
PT was out today and was REALLY helpful. Helped me get a better way to get into and out of bed, which has been an issue. Simply by switching to the other side so that my good leg goes in first made a huge difference. So far the OT, PT and RN are very pleased with my progress.
I've started Miralax prior to surgery. If you go with that you might want to do a half dose until you find out how you respond.
Wait just a minute here...my "good" leg is BOTH legs!! I had better stop this good leg/bad leg talk. They are both going to be just fine! And so are yours bestbob!
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat