+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Travel  (Read 1794 times)

Tarhoo2

Travel
« on: June 01, 2008, 09:17:19 PM »
Fellow Hippies,

I'll soon be travelling by air for the first time since having my BHR's done.  Anything in particular I should be prepared for, especially getting through security?  I've travelled with my mother who has two knee replacements and it's been a bit of a "thrash."  I have a card from my orthopaedist, but don't really know what to expect as far as getting through security (I'll be flying out of Washington-Dulles, which is slow even without any complications).  Would appreciate any experiences people would be willing to share.

Thanks.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Travel
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 10:09:29 PM »
From what many say, the card does not help much.  You just need to tell them you have a hip replacement.  Some people say they don't set off the metal dectors and others say they do. 

I don't travel much, just listen to others stories.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

papadop

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 12:32:19 AM »

I tested my new hip by visiting the local courthouse and its security machines.  Yes I set off the alarm, the officer came over with a hand device, checked the hip location and basically asked to see the scar. Wasn't interested in the X-ray.

Michael

Clarkefan

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 02:41:30 PM »
I just returned from recent air travel, and yes I set off the metal detectors. The process was not too bad, but it did require an extra 10 minutes or so. I mentioned I had a metal implant before stepping through, and was given a private screening. Depending on how busy the airport is, it might take a bit longer -- but they're used to performing this exercise. Just make it as easy as possible by removing all metal (belts, etc) before getting to the detector.

Tarhoo2

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 07:42:23 PM »
Thanks for the responses, folks.  Looks like I need to add 15 minutes or so to my arrival time at the airport.  As for visiting the local courthouse, I'll have to make sure I wear clean underwear!!!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear