+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgery on one hip -- but other needs it too -- question  (Read 2042 times)

Juno

Surgery on one hip -- but other needs it too -- question
« on: June 20, 2013, 09:59:56 AM »
I tried to search for this question, but wanted some input.

As you may know I am going in on July 10 for my right hip with Dr. Gross. Upon my initial consult with him in late April he said my left hip was just as "bad" as my right. At that time I was having no pain on the left side (or maybe the pain was masked since the right hurt so much).

That being said, as I wait to go in on July 10th I've noticed that the left side is really acting up. Decreased ROM and the pulling pain down to my knee -- these are new symptoms. It's discouraging to me as I really was hoping to rehab and have at least a few good months with both hips. Now I am concerned that after surgery/recovery I'll be compensating to decrease pain in my left. I really need to concentrate on fixing my gait (limp) and muscle issues.

I guess I'll be looking to plan my left hip surgery in 6 months or so.
Any thoughts or recovery stories --- where you in the same situation? is it too late to call and see if they will do a bilateral :)

Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

trgcfrg

• Hips Don't Lie
Re: Surgery on one hip -- but other needs it too -- question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:50:49 AM »
I was having similar symptoms and issues with both hips and decided to be aggressive. I had my right hip resurfaced on Aril 1 and quickly followed with the left hip seven weeks later. My surgeon, Dr. Pritchett, requires a minimum of six weeks between surgeries, so I basically was doing the surgeries as fast as I could.

After having gone through it I've been happy I went this route. I know some folks here have done bilateral at the same time, but I think that would have been rough for me. Seven weeks was about the minimum I could have managed between surgeries - even a week or two earlier and my right leg wouldn't have been strong enough. As it was, though, my right leg has been great during my recovery from surgery on the left side and I really haven't given it much thought.

I would say three months between surgeries might give a little buffer since you don't know how fast you'll heal, but I'm glad I got all my surgeries done with and can just move onto the healing. It also made the second surgery easier since I knew what to expect.

Good luck with your surgery and decision!

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:13:56 PM by trgcfrg »
RBHR - 4/1/2013 Dr. Pritchett

http://hipsdontlie.azurewebsites.net/

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 12:40:08 PM »
Hi Juno, like Jeff, I needed to get both done, but my surgeon would only do one at a time.

I scheduled both three months apart, and am happy with the way it went. It gave me enough time to put my first through physical therapy and about a month of rest before the second. It worked well for me, some have had a shorter interval and some great souls had it done at the same time.

Three months worked for me, but I'd talk it over with your surgeon, see what he or she thinks.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

maxx6789

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 09:06:53 PM »
i had similar experience ... dr said both hips are bad but i only had discomfort on one side. i hoped to have the surgery on one side and wait "as long as possible" for the second one. 6 weeks after my first operation is was clear that my operated hip was so much better than my non-operated hip. i would have had my second operation right when i had my 6-week check-up ... but that was the day i set a date for my second operation.

i think, if you know you need two already and don't want to do them at the same time (some people have had them the same day or within the same week with good results), i agree that 3 months is ideal "just in case" you have a slow healing experience, but less time is worth a consideration, too (like 6 to 8 weeks).
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

PattyM

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 11:40:54 AM »
Hi
I had a similar experience, I had my rt hip done Aug/2012. I could barely walk when I finally had
it done. I t wasn't until I recovered from surgery that I realized my left hip was bothering me.
I am sure I could have waited a year or two but I didn't want to waste any more of my Life!
I am glad I waited 6 mos, my recovery was very easy the second time.
 :)
Right BHR Della Valle 8/20/12
Left  BHR Della Valle 3/18/13

maxx6789

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 05:35:38 PM »
Patty, you and I are living similar hip lives - I am virtually one year ahead of you but we both had Della Valle and had operations in almost the same months. Hope you are enjoying your new life with your new hip as much as I am!!

Hi
I had a similar experience, I had my rt hip done Aug/2012. I could barely walk when I finally had
it done. I t wasn't until I recovered from surgery that I realized my left hip was bothering me.
I am sure I could have waited a year or two but I didn't want to waste any more of my Life!
I am glad I waited 6 mos, my recovery was very easy the second time.
 :)

Juno

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 06:04:36 PM »
Thanks all. I spoke with Dr. Gross's office and they were able to work it out that I could have both hips done two days apart --- but, after much consideration I've decided to wait. I know I'm tough, but know the recovery of both hips at the same time is twice as difficult. I did have then put me on the schedule for December for my left hip.

Like all of you, I just want to be back to my life again. Granted it took me 49 years to get into this position, so I guess I can take a year and work it all out :)

The good news is as long as I don't over do it and only do workouts every other day, I can manage pretty well.

My crutches and cane arrived today. So, the count down is on.

maxx6789

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 03:49:11 PM »
juno, glad you made a decision that you seem happy with. there is no right or wrong answer. so, you should feel confident with all your decisions and know that better days are ahead. you are going to experience a lot of the next 12 months but it should all be worth it!!

Miguelito

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »
I second what Maxx 6789 said. I just had the one hip done (so far) and feel that for me, two at once (or even two days apart) would have left me too disabled.

Tempting to just get it out of the way, but I know it wouldn't be the decision for me.

Good luck,

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

JEFF A.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 08:53:45 AM »
Juno, We're facing the same issue. I was originally scheduled to have a bilateral with Dr. Gross in May, but "chickened out".  I was afraid I wouldn't have a leg to stand on!  After the surgery on my right leg, I am glad I chose that route.  I am in awe of those who have both done at the same time, but I don't think I could have been functional as soon as I was. 

I am walking 20--25 minutes cane free at 7 weeks post surgery, and the pain in my non-operated leg sometimes is worse than the operated leg, but also, the fact that I am not favoring the operated leg as much has also eased some of the stress on the non-operated leg so its a positive, but mixed bag. 

Wish you luck and endorse the course you are choosing.  Jeff   

Juno

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
Thanks Jeff. That is reassuring!
I hate that we have to go thru it all a second time -- but it is what it is.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat