+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Small women... what are your HR stories?  (Read 1343 times)

Betzi

Small women... what are your HR stories?
« on: June 23, 2013, 03:59:37 PM »
I am a fit 60 year old, 5'1.5", 110 lbs, medium frame. Am osteopenic with T-score of -1.4.
I've been emailing some docs to determine the best HR approach for me.
Bose and Smet are both anti-BHR for small women. Smet recommends instead Conserve Plus.
Gross is fine with BHR for small women and states "with proper implant positioning of the acetabular component, metal wear is not an issue".
I'm looking for the experiences of other women similar to me. Which device did you go with and what were the results? Any help along these lines is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Juno

Re: Small women... what are your HR stories?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 02:39:16 PM »
I don't have a surgery story just yet -- I am scheduled for a right HR with Dr. Gross in 2 weeks. I am 5'4" and 117 pounds. Dr. Gross expressed no concerns about my size, even when directly asked. He told me I was a prefect candidate -- not only an I a small-boned female, but I have dysplasia as well. I agree with so many of the posters on this site -- if you find can have your surgery with a high skilled, very experienced surgeon it likely makes all the difference.

I've read the research and am assured that as long as the resurfacing is done correctly and as long as I follow post-op instructions to the T, I am hopeful for a long-lasting resurfaced hip!
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

mslendzion

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 07:13:15 PM »
I'm 5'1'' and size 6, no issues with my BHR and going on 1.5 yrs since my surgery.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

happyhopper

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:01:45 AM »
Hi
If you can go to Dr Gross please go to him and no-one else.  Dr Gross has written an award winning paper which shows that smaller implant sizes need a flatter inclination angle.  I have had major problems with my Corin Cormet 2000 and have found out it is not implanted to the fine degree that is required for a good outcome.  Dr Gross ensures that the implant is positioned correctly in almost 100% of surgeries.
If you cannot go to Dr Gross follow your surgeons advice do not stick out for a HR.
Best wishes   

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal