+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pain!  (Read 1450 times)

stokesrobin

Pain!
« on: July 06, 2013, 03:33:37 PM »
So no one wants to talk about the pain.....1-10! I am 7 weeks out and graduated my PT. I worked hard doing my exercised at least 2x a day. I would have a set back now and again from over doing it, but nothing like what I'm feeling now. Is it possible to sleep on treated side all night and wake in the same position can put you in so much pain it has taken over the last 5 days! I'm asking what the heck happened. One step forward 4 steps back. OOOOCH!

hernanu

Re: Pain!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 04:20:36 PM »
I think we talk about the pain all of the time. It's just that the pain of recuperation is not the same as the OA pain.

How long have you been in pain, did anything happen that started it?

If it's that painful, have you gotten in touch with your surgeon to go over it? My first step when confronted with pain was to get in touch with the surgeon and ask them about it.

Where is the pain happening, does it only happen after sleeping on your side?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

stokesrobin

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 12:15:55 PM »
Thanks for your prompt response! I have been reading all morning long about what the probables could be. I love this website. It is full of everything you would want to know about hip resurfacing.
I have come to the conclusion that I OVER DID IT! Doing what? I don't know but I obviously hurt myself badly. Feels like something got over extended. Maybe doing my exercise. That's the only activity I've been doing. And I started walking the mall. Even though I think I'm stretching and working those muscles I'm hurting myself like a body builder. No pain no gain!?! My justification for taking the summer off is to get well and STRONG! So this set back has really started to get to me. Its been 12 days since I hurt myself. I was doing so well. Ready to give up the cane! taking med's at night time. I was really proud of my recovery. And now this! WOW :-\

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 01:49:57 PM »
Setbacks work that way. No need to push it, especially when your body slaps you in the head and says NO....

Be really light on any stretching, are you doing physical therapy with someone knowledgeable about HR or THR?

This is a time to let the bone healing happen, muscular recuperation, while important is really secondary. That time will come.

Let your surgeon know about it, but it may be time to kick back a bit until your body recoups.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

stokesrobin

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 02:25:52 PM »
Thank you again. The feedback helps so much to reevaluate and want to dig deep inside for that positive attitude to want yourself to heal healthy, mend and be strong about keeping your chin up! I just have not gone through a "SET BACK". I must have missed that in all my reading and research. I have been active most of my of my 55 years! Been a full time working hairstylist for 35 yrs. Hard to keep an old horse down. So what exercises would you suggest to back off from? I have been stagnate for over a week and feeling weak!

Lauren Lee

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 05:25:34 PM »
I was telling my nurse post op all the grandiose plans I had to make a fast recovery. She told me about a body builder she had who thought he had an edge because of the magnificent physical shape he was in. Unfortunately, the guy overworked his butt off and inflamed all of the nerves, which are also healing. he was in such pain he wound up in the ER and they had a time getting his pain under contro.No permanent damage but it was a set back. I think this surgery is the great equalizer- no matter how great of shape we think we are in....muscles and nerves and tendons are mending. Mend slow, mend strong. That's my motto three weeks in, especially after hanging out here. Feel better.  I would be on the phone to my doc and PT to see where you should start. You have to get moving, I would think.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

packman

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 05:57:36 PM »
Trying to find out the reason for your pain is probably a real head scratching puzzle. Agree with asking for a medical opinion from your doctor's office but would suggest easy walking to get the area moving again, plus the pillow between the legs during sleeping to avoid any rollover strains.
Also caution on resuming the progressions to harder exercises until you feel the easier ones can be done with no pain
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz