+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgery with De Smet, Belgium, July 2013  (Read 11781 times)

somegypsy

• Hip Resurfacing with De Smet, 09 July 2013
Surgery with De Smet, Belgium, July 2013
« on: July 17, 2013, 06:52:14 AM »
I was torn between Pritchett in Seattle, WA and De Smet in Gent, Belgium. I am living in the Netherlands for my husband's job but often in the States.

My insurance finally agreed to reimburse me for surgery done in Europe....at the same time I was having an incredibly painful flare-up. I contacted Dr De Smet, and actually was operated on the very next day.

I am now one week post op so my comments won't have a lot of historical significance, but here's my experience :

Tuesday 9 July 13   arrive at Jan Palfijn Hospital at 0700
In room by 1000
Xrays, meet with Dr DeSmet all by 1130
Taken to surgery at 1530
Surgery about 1615
Next thing I know it was 2000 ...I think????

Wednesday - sicker than a dog. Typical for me. Dr visited me in hospital. Not much therapy, but I did stand, and two steps later returned to bed. Did manage exercises I bed.

Thursday - De Smet's assistant Bart brought me a packet of info. I had physio/fysio twice during the day - including stairs. Great care with nurses and therapist.

Friday - Therapy in morning, released at 1100. Was picked up by Taxi driver in room. Deliverd to hotel.

First bad experience - trying to get up from badly situated toilet seat. AWFUL. But managed and had myself moved to a handicapped room.

My therapist really helped with better explanation for getting up and down from various chairs, bed, etc....but you learn all of this rather quickly.

The Anca Clinic has a working relationship with the Sandton Rylof Hotel, which is a fabulous property. I actually booked most of my nights online for less than their negotiated rate. While at hotel the nurse and therapist each come daily for exercise, wound dressing, and administering shots. Answering questions and overall checkup. GREAT professional and personal one on one care. The hotel staff is fantastic. Helping at breakfast - hard to negotiate a plate and two crutches...but after a few days I was released to one 'stick' within the hotel....and two whilst walking in the city.

Dr De Smet met with myself and another 'hipster' today and spoke a length about procedures etc.
I am very impressed with him as a surgeon and his professionalism. He is also unbelievably personable for a medical professional!

I know there is a road ahead, but at the end of my first week I am so ecstatic with my progress.. There is some discomfort but certainly not the pain I had prior to surgery.

I'll do an update later in my recovery.

Food at hospital is HORRIBLE...but it is only a few days and if you have a companion with you, have them bring outside food in!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Surgery with De Smet, Belgium, July 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 10:00:40 AM »
Congratulations on the new hip.  De Smet and team are GREAT!

Brings back memories - the wonderful food in the hospital :P  It obviously hasn't changed since 2006 when I was there.

Good Luck and take it easy for awhile.  Don't walk too far if you go into town.  A lot of people do that and end up with swelling.  Just sit somewhere and eat the chocolate or drink the beer. 

Have fun and I look forward to your updates.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz