+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Internal rotation of legs  (Read 2230 times)

peacocksml

Internal rotation of legs
« on: July 23, 2013, 05:17:03 PM »
Hi All,
I recently had my second hip resurfacing, June 3rd and am recovering nicely.  The first resurfacing was done 2009.
The other day I noticed that both legs are rotating internally not just feet but also knees, similar to knock knee.  Have others had this experience?  I recognize that simply turning my feet out does not solve the problem, eventually knees and ankles will suffer from the misalignment.
All feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kimberly

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
Re: Internal rotation of legs
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 03:51:31 AM »
I have not noticed it mine seems dead straight my other hip tends to go outwards as did my right prior to surgery.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Miguelito

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 08:23:01 AM »
Hi Kimberly,

I just had one leg done, a year ago, and I have noticed that sometimes I feel a little "pigeon-toed". I think that is more or less the same thing you are talking about?

Anyway, while I do occasionally feel like the foot is more turned in than it used to be (such that sometimes it even feels a little awkward) the knee pain I used to get in the operated leg side has greatly diminished post-surgery.

I have always read that one of the big benefits of HR versus THR is that since HR does not remove the top of the femur, HR theoretically should not change the angle of your foot much (unlike with THR, where the postioning of the implant dictates the angle of the foot.) I guess HR could change it in some small way, especially in removing bony lesions that had been dictating changes in how people walked, etc.

Not an expert or anything, just wanted to weigh in about the pigeon-toed feeling.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:11:51 PM by Miguelito »
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 03:45:20 PM »
I certainly had the inward rotation on both and it was noticeable about a year out on each.  It never got beyond dead straight and I've always been of a penguin/ducky walker of sorts.  However, now at 2 years, I have noticed that when relaxed and sitting, the toes tend to point out a little more to the side kind of like it was before HR.  It's a bit like there was a temporary period of inward rotation and now that all the bone and compoenets have found their happy spots, I actually got a little outward rotation.  Keep in mind, this is nothing like it was when I had OA just before HR, no internal rotation at all, only pain heading in that direction.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

John C

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:48:50 PM »
I noticed a very pronounced inward rotation after my surgery, which made total sense since it is the external rotators that are cut during surgery. I worked a lot on strengthening those during the first six months, and have not noticed it since. Sometimes when I see myself walking in a mirror, it does seem as though that leg may still be very slightly turned in, but it certainly is not a problem.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Lauren Lee

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 10:52:24 PM »
I'm almost 6 weeks post op and my PT noticed my toes pointed in and we're working on that.. So...I have to remind myself to keep my shoulders lifted, try to keep my right hip from dipping,keep my hips square and NOW point my toes straight. I find it difficult to walk and chew gum.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 12:04:58 PM »
I'm almost 6 weeks post op and my PT noticed my toes pointed in and we're working on that.. So...I have to remind myself to keep my shoulders lifted, try to keep my right hip from dipping,keep my hips square and NOW point my toes straight. I find it difficult to walk and chew gum.

My advice would be to forego chewing gum, discuss it with your surgeon and work it in as soon as possible...  ;D
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 04:26:47 PM »
yeah but there is a lot to keep track of early on when trying to walk again.  Nose over the center line, smooth full strides, stand up straight, and now toes pointed straight foward,...I hear you, chewing gum with all that might make you lose track of one of the other tasks at hand. :o 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Lauren Lee

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 09:26:36 PM »
That is what I love about this site....you all get it! I will ask the doc when I can return to chewing gum at my six week check. 6 weeks in and I can look back and laugh! Hippy humor!
RBHR on June 17, 2013

peacocksml

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 08:02:15 AM »
Thanks to all who responded and to all who contribute to this site.  I am working on strengthening the external rotators through exercise so I'm hoping that will help over time.  I have to keep reminding myself it's only been eight weeks.  I am moving through the world with no trouble and back to my regular exercise of swim, bike(stationery for now), qigong and weights without any discomfort.
Long fast walks are a challenge, I feel pretty locked up muscularlly from the hips down afterwards.  Working with Feldenkrais exercises help that but I'm still not ready for a big hike or walking tour.
Structural alignment for me is important so that other joints aren't compromised.  My husband who is a trained massage therapist observed that it appeared that I was walking more on my arches.
Oh boy Lauren, I so get it, so much thinking as we walk is mentally exhausting and yet I know now is the time to work on it and hopefully it will become natural and I won't have to think so much.
I will give it more time and practice diligence and patience.
Kimberly

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat