+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 5 year update  (Read 4000 times)

John C

5 year update
« on: July 24, 2013, 11:12:42 PM »
Hi all,
Just checking in with a happy five year anniversary. For those that are considering resurfacing, or are early in the process, I will give a synopsis of my resurfacing journey. For you that are regulars on the site, you've heard it all before, so you should feel free to happily skip on to the next post.

My journey:
Over ten years of suffering with arthritis that kept getting worse, resulting in pain with any movement at all, a sever limp, and crippling pain with certain movements.
Tried an arthroscopy, which made it worse for a few months, and then maybe a 20% improvement for a couple of years.
Next tried a stem cell injection which was a disaster, but it did help me make the final decision for a resurfacing because I could not now get around without a cane or crutches.
Surgery with Dr Gross at age 57. Surgery and time in the hospital were a breeze, and almost painless.
The next six weeks were a roller-coaster of mild to moderate pain, swelling, difficulty getting around, slow and uneven progress, and lots of mental gyrations. Finally off crutches at six weeks.
At 8 weeks I started a remodel on the house, being careful not to break any rules.
At 3 months I started slightly more intense training.
At 6 months I started skiing full time (eight hours, seven days a week).
At 1 year I got back into full time windsurfing (high winds and surf).
At 1 year I got back into daily tennis which I had not been able to play in ten years.
Between years 2 and 3 most of the residual aches and pains went away.
At 5 years (I will be 62 in a month) I am active in some kind of sport for 6-8 hours a day, 6-7 days a week, and my hip feels great.
My metal ion numbers have always been low (.5 to 1.4).
The best of it: I never even think about my resurfaced hip when I am involved in my sports. I never have any pain in that hip.
The worst of it: Nothing really. No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get the resurfaced leg to be quite as strong as the other leg, and deep one legged squats still involve some strange sensations. When I am sitting, it sometimes still feels like there is something swollen in the area, either scar tissue or some fluid. Like the rest of me, it is stiff for the first few steps whenever I first get up out of a car or a chair. All in all, nothing to complain about.
There's my story up to five years. As we all say on this site, everyone's journey will be different. In my case it has worked out fantastically to this point.
I want to finish by saying a huge thank you to Pat for this site.
Best to all,
John

John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Dannywayoflife

Re: 5 year update
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 05:09:41 AM »
Great to hear your doing so well John!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

evant

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 06:38:20 AM »
That's a great 5 year update.

It's really helpful for all less time-served hippies / future hippies.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

mari

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 09:27:54 AM »
Thank you for the update!  You were one of the people I followed closely when I was considering hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross.  I am sure your success, along with others, convinced me to have the surgery in February 2009.
Right Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross February 2009

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 12:14:34 PM »
Nice summation John! I'd forgotten you had stem cell treatments. Excellent that you're feeling this well.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

fenceman

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 04:05:56 PM »
Great to hear John.  I think I am 1 week behind you on my left BHR and 12 years younger.   I also get the slight swelling feeling after sitting for awhile and that stiffness on my first few step.  I have been doing a lot of biking in the last month and the left hip has begun clicking more and feels a bit sore.   Hopefully backing off a little will improve that feeling.  The funny thing is my 6 month old right BHR feels great and nearly as strong as the left.

Thanks for the update. 
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

wayne-0

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 12:32:56 AM »
Great news John, glad your still windsurfing. Btw you know I'm jealous cause you get so much wind out there on Maui. I am still sailing San-o by myself. A good friend of mine is living on Maui now and sailing Hookipa alot. His name is Mike Hanson and goes by the nickname Snapper. You can"t miss him as he will be sailing in very light wind. He is only like 100 lbs. Anyways my 5 yrs is coming up in November and all is well with me and my two hips. Even if they are Depuy ASR. My last metal tests two months ago were 1.1 chrom  and 1.6 colbalt. Keep up the reports , they are inspiring.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 01:43:57 AM »
Great to hear your doing so good John !  Hey weren't you supposed to be having a resurface party for all of us ? You were gonna fly us all over for a week or two or something, whatever happened with that ?

;D ;D  Hahaha, glad to hear all is well !

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 12:17:11 PM »
Great to hear your doing so good John !  Hey weren't you supposed to be having a resurface party for all of us ? You were gonna fly us all over for a week or two or something, whatever happened with that ?

;D ;D  Hahaha, glad to hear all is well !

Wow, that sounds awesome... so generous of John...  ;D ;D ;D
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

John C

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »
Oh, Bill and Hernanu, its just a decimal point error. It was not the 5 year anniversary, but the 50 year anniversary that I was planning on for the party. Now that will be something to celebrate.   :)

Wayne; we may have the great wind on Maui, but I am definitely jealous of you sailing all those uncrowded waves at San O'. I only wavesailed there once, but my fond memory is that if it is big enough to break on the outer peak, the ride went on forever. Glad you are getting it.

Thanks of all for the good thoughts.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

podgornymd

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »
John,

What a great recovery!! I hope i can get to that level. Thanks for all your advice the past 3 months with my recovery. It was very helpful. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 02:07:55 PM »
John;

Holy smokes, a great story and something to aspire to.  When you say "full time" you really mean full time.  Sincere congrats.

I have been observing what Bill (fenceman) said a while back for year #2; lots of the little pains and odd quirks are resolving themselved between the 12 and 24 month window.  The progression in healing between the 22 month ago and 18 months ago hips is pretty consistent--a very long ride yesterday produced some barking muscles in the more recent side, the other one, not a peep.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

luann again

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 05:09:37 AM »
Wow John,
Really great recap. Interesting to see your experience has been similar to mine, at 3+ years. Like you, I really have NO serious issues or complaints. I would agree that it just keeps getting better between 2 and 3 years. Even now, I think about it less each day. It is finally becoming a true part of me.
Also like you, I am very active (mostly in hiking and, extreme, equestrian events) and still find, no matter how much exercise I do, the HR leg is a little weaker. It does feel, what I would describe as
"tight" in that area when I am sitting/squatting in certain positions. This feeling seems to be the one that is diminishing most, as time goes on.
However, that aside, it is one of the very best decisions I have ever made! I adore my new hip and feel it gave me my life back, both physically AND mentally.
Thank you so much for sharing and congrats!  Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat