+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Almost three weeks out  (Read 2377 times)

MikeF

Almost three weeks out
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:13:49 PM »
Hi all,
First off thanks to all who answered questions and gave support prior to my surgery on July 15th. There's no way to explain how much that has helped. Two days after my surgery I was walking more briskly than I expected with a wheeled walker in the hospital. I think I pushed the envelope a little after I was released on July 17th. My cell phone 'drowned' in some water on my hospital tray while I was there. So, after I went home for a few hours I was off to Verizon on crutches to get a phone.....with help of course. Then a trip to the grocery store before back home to crash. Two days later I was cruising around town with a friend trying to replace a washing machine that died when I got home. So, maybe a little too much too soon.
Right now I'm home managing alone and moving only when necessary.....on one crutch.  Still having some discomfort sleeping but visiting nurse service and in home PT have helped. I am experiencing the 'clunking' sensation many have discussed here. Interesting feeling.....my hope is that it goes away. Thirty-one staples removed two days ago. I'm just now getting some stinging around the incision.  Today some new aches around the hip come and go. I expect this and it motivates me to rest and get off my feet when that happens. I think I'm having a pretty normal experience so far and wouldn't know that if I hadn't read all the helpful posts on this thread.
Thanks all!

Juno

Re: Almost three weeks out
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 08:50:54 PM »
Mike, glad you're doing well. Keep it going!

Like you I am three weeks post op today. I feel grateful that I've progressed since day one, but I still can't help to wish I was further along (but seriously understand it takes time!) :)

I still have days when I am exhausted by late afternoon. I'm trying to lay low. I go out once a day and run to the grocery or dry cleaners  - just to get out. I do my walks 2x a day and do some easy upper torso work with my hand held weights.  I'm actually going back to work 1/2 days on Monday....I'm not sure how that is going to go -- hoping 1/2 days are doable.

I am walking with a cane and am doing about 3/4 - 1 mile at a time. I am still limping when I don't have the cane. ROM is getting better, but certain muscles are still sore and very tight. That will come with time.  Swelling feels almost gone. I do get all types of muscle twinges and aches in the leg and it varies from day to day.

I see Dr. Gross in w weeks for follow up.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:34:02 PM »
Mike, Juno - you're both doing fine.

Mike, the clunking is going to be there a while, I still get one every great while. It's normal as all get up.

Juno - I kept limping for a bit, it sometimes seemed more to me when others said it wasn't, then other times I thought I was doing great and a friend would ask why I was limping. It takes time. 
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

bestbob

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 09:59:45 PM »
Glad to hear that both Mike and Juno are doing well. You two are further along then I was at 3 weeks, and that's wonderful. We all heal differently, and hopefully you continue to progress while listening to your body. I am now at 6 weeks plus a day, and just started without a crutch, but my Dr. wanted me to wait a full 6 wks. Been working from home the past 3 weeks at 20 hrs a week, and will start full time on site next week. My goal is not to bring the crutch to work, will keep in the car just in case though.

Again, way to go. It sure feels great not having any of the pre-op pain doesn't it!

Bob
RBHR June 18, 2013, Euclid General Ohio, Dr. Brooks

MikeF

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 08:19:30 AM »
Bad night last night trying to sleep.....side sleeping on my good side with a pillow is still a challenge. I can do it for awhile but not long enough to fall asleep. Finally, at 3am I waved the white flag and came downstairs to ice up. First time this has happened. Probably no coincidence that I stopped pain meds yesterday for the first time. I was getting headaches from it and often felt 'foggy' so I cut it out. I will ice religiously every day now as it does give relief.  Funny (or maybe not so) side story is a good friend who was my 'taxi' to get around for groceries, etc. broke his right leg on Saturday in a 'muddy runner' competition. So we get on the phone and ask if we each other if we need anything, and the truth is we can't do anything about it anyway!!

keepmovin

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:00:03 AM »
Hi All,
Mike, Bestbob and Juno - All these months working up to the operation, I suppose you are so glad that it's now behind you and looking forward, it's just getting better!  I'm looking forward to my time hopefully this fall!

I remember the first time and just how long it took.  For a while it was two steps forward, one step back.  Progress can be slow but rushing it only brings complications later.

Mike-I am a little over two years out on my left and still have the clunking.  I experienced this, too, during my first couple of months.  Discussed it with my Dr. and basically it comes down to loose ligaments and muscles -- this would apply after the operation for most, but for me, I am naturally very loose and flexible.  I don't think my muscles and ligaments healed tight enough, hence the occasional clunking.  No pain though.  Now that the right hip has gone, I've lost some strength in my left so clunking has increased.

When you go full force on the PT in a few weeks, you might want to stress making things tight and strong.

Just think, depending where you all live, come the fall season (my favorite), you'll hopefully be enjoying the beautiful season pain free! :)

LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

MikeF

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 01:46:43 PM »
Thanks movin'. My concern is that maybe I was too active right out of surgery. Hope this was not the case for any permanent compromise of the healing. I haven't been out of the house except to get the mail or walk around the yard for six days so I'm really laying low. Fingers are crossed that this is typical and to be patient through it all.
Mike

Juno

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 02:18:13 PM »
Mike -- I had a set back at week one and had severe muscle cramps. I ended up in the ER of the local hospital on heavy muscle relaxers and Dilaudid. Do take it easy and rest. I find that icing 4x a day really helps. Like you, I still have a hard time side sleeping -- even on my un operated side. I just can feel all the muscles tensing. I can last about 30 minutes on my side.

I went bak to work today (yes....it's only been three weeks), but thankfully for the next week I am working a desk job versus my usual running around. I lasted for 5 hours and then came home to ice. Good start I think.

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 03:46:53 PM »
Thanks movin'. My concern is that maybe I was too active right out of surgery. Hope this was not the case for any permanent compromise of the healing. I haven't been out of the house except to get the mail or walk around the yard for six days so I'm really laying low. Fingers are crossed that this is typical and to be patient through it all.
Mike

Mike, you're recovering from major surgery. The fact that it's going well and you are making good strides doesn't change that fact.

I had many different twinges and issues within the first four to six weeks. Unless you lifted that washer, everything you describe is maybe pushing it, but normal. I went to my daughter's holiday dance pre party at my ex's house (or should I say my ex house) a week and a half after my surgery.

I stood in one place for a couple of hours and paid for it for the next couple of days. Just be aware and careful of your restrictions. Movement and rehab exercises is what you're supposed to do, it just won't go smoothly in every way. Hopefully it does, but for most of us it didn't.

If you're really concerned about anything, call the surgeon. It's their job and part of the reason you paid them well.

You just came off the meds also, so your body is transitioning.

It is in an overall transition, unlearning the bad OA habits and metamorphosizing into the body you had before. It didn't get into the way it was under the OA quickly, so it will take time to relax into its new configuration.

Muscles in your body are being used that were not because of your body's reaction to the pain. Others were over used. Now that your architecture is different, it's going to take a bit to adjust.

At three weeks, you're just getting off the blocks, you've still got a good sprint before you get to your goal.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

bestbob

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 09:32:39 PM »
Mike - agree with what Hern has said. I also had a couple day set back as I felt pretty good and pushed PT one day pretty hard. All this was mentioned in a prior post weeks ago. After that I REALLY slowed down and listened to what my body said. Was I behind most others as far as walking without crutches, giving up pain med's, I sure was, but it didn't matter to me. I became the turtle versus the rabbit in a race. Heck, even at 6 weeks and a couple days I still get some muscle spasm's, and still take a vicoden at night for sleep. Also, I was worried about not returning to work soon enough and loosing my contract work, I am a project manager in the IT world, but I made the decision that no job is that important to cause me to damage my body even more if I push to hard. End result, I started back to work from home at 20 hrs p/week 2 weeks ago, and will go into the office this coming Monday, maybe with a slight limp, shall see.

I rambled on I know, and it sounds like your starting to see the importance of not trying to be a rabbit.

Wish you well.

Bob
RBHR June 18, 2013, Euclid General Ohio, Dr. Brooks

MikeF

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 05:18:58 PM »
Juno, Hern, Bob.......thanks for sharing your experiences. Exactly what I had to hear. I feel really good today. I can walk down stairs slowly without any pain.  Not close to going UP the stairs though.  I took the car out for a short ride this morning in very low traffic roads near horse farms close to my house.  Nice boost of confidence there. 
I'm cleared to back to work on August 26. I may be ready sooner but I won't go back in until then. I work in Pathology and my time is spent sitting at a microscope or off to clinics for biopsies so I want to be as strong as I can be.
Have a great weekend everyone.....
Mike

packman

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 06:58:48 PM »
Mike if you have a desk type job, then a couple of notes - try to take a pillow with you. It may look kind of funny but I expect you could have some incision annoyance at the return to work point more from surrounding scar tissue
Secondly you will want to make a point of timing yourself with any form of buzzer to get up and move around every 30-60 minutes. I find that I can get concentrated in my work and then time passes, followed by some stiffness. Walking made me feel so normal and limber - perhaps your tips to the clinics will do that.
Third - see how you are driving in a car for 30-40 minutes as a gauge - I hated driving from about week 5 until week 8 post-op. Then some of my fitness elliptical / bike work strengthened me. (I did some doctor exercises up until week 6, then their suggestions thereafter and did not start higher levels of gym work until week 7)
Everything you have written sounds within normal boundaries to me - Good progress!
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Juno

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 08:46:11 PM »
Mike -- you're doing great. Glad you're starting to feel better.

I went back to work yesterday -- I did 5 hours yesterday and 6 hours today and I'm pretty tired!! I got home today and iced 2x and went straight onto the couch. Physically I'm not hurting -- just tired and drained.

I know it's only been 3 weeks and 2 days -- so I'm grateful for what I can do.

MikeF

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 06:10:27 AM »
Juno how do you manage at work already? I think I read in your other thread that you are a nurse. You're putting me to shame. I work in Cytopathology and do fine needle aspiration biopsy service in Pulmonary, GI, Radiology....every other week.  No way I could run around like that right now.
Everything else I read about your progress from the blood thinners, side sleeping discomfort, and referred pain in glutes, calf, etc. mirrors what I'm experiencing. We're pretty much spot on...except for the pedicure, which isn't going to happen for me.....

Juno

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 10:17:32 AM »
Mike -- I am a RN, I don't work in the hospital any longer. 8 years ago I started working in the school system. I oversee 8 school health clinics and supervise/train 8 health assistants. So, I generally am in my car and traveling from school to school everyday, seeing patients, teaching etc,  but for now I'm working in my office and trying to take it slow (reviewing charts, writing care plans and getting ready for the first day of school in a week.

Ask me next week after I've worked for 5 days -- I may need to go to 1/2 days. I really was beat after 2 days!! My boss is great and understanding, so that helps.

I am trying to save some sick time. I need to have my left hip done and am thinking I would have it done in December and use the schools winter break to recover. :)

kimberly52

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 08:58:19 PM »
Yup Mike, all sounds familiar.  Sounds like you overdid coming out of the gate.  Been there done that and learned to hold back and have patience.  Found there is a lot of truth to that old saying: "slow and steady wins the race".   :)

I agree with both the pillow and timer for return to work.  I had a pillow on my chair for the first month back and it made a huge difference.  About that timer suggestion, do it.  Sitting for 8-hours a day will make you so stiff and miserable.  Been there and done that too.  learned that getting up every 1/2 hour to 45 min for a walk serves you well. 

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

podgornymd

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 10:31:17 PM »
I am a little late but your setback is normal. I am 3.5 months out and i have setbacks every few weeks. I tend to overdo it jsut my personality. My latest one was at 3 months when i thought i was over the hump. I did a long bike ride with some climbing and then swam over a mile same day.Needless to say i was laid up for about 10 dys other than going to work.

You really need to reel it in early on but hte hard part is knowing what is too much. Be smart in your progression. You dont want to go from walking 30 minutes on flats to walking 50 minutes with inclines the next dy.

the other thing i didnt factor in was my job. I work in the emergency room so i am on my feet for 12hrs a day so that puts alot of stress on my hip so i now i try and take it eassy the day after.

You sound like you are making great progress just be patient unlike myself.

Eman

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal