+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: One Year Today  (Read 7528 times)

Mike D

One Year Today
« on: August 08, 2013, 03:05:02 PM »
Hi all, it's one year today since my THR so just a quick one to say thanks to everyone who's given me all the great advice so far.
Even a year down the line its good to read about things like 'start up' pain and know its nothing to worry about.
I went for some professional physio  and keep up the strengthening and core exercises at home so the hip is feeling strong.
Mr Treacy told me he would give me a hip that would allow me to crawl around into awkward places for my work and he was true to his word.
I'm learning to treat it with respect without being over cautious and its working well.
The only thing I've given up for good is playing squash, it's just a personal choice not to put my joint through that amount of stress.
I miss it but I can live with  not playing so no problems there.
I've started doing a lot of walking at weekends-hills, steps, all terrains really and its all stuff that would have left me in agony a year ago.

There are so many well informed people here and it's a great comfort, thank you all.
Also, it's very friendly on here. I go on a couple of football and motorcycle forums but they're nowhere near as pleasant as you hippys!
All the best, Mike. :)
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Miguelito

Re: One Year Today
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »
Congratulations Mike! Good luck going forward.

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 04:39:28 PM »
Congrats Mike! Things get even better the second year.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tim Bratten

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 07:52:53 PM »
Hi Mike
As a fellow THRer ready to pass the one and a half year mark I can honestly say I've experienced a gradual but significant improvement over the last six months that may even  surpass the improvement I experienced during the 6 to 12 month period.
Tim
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

evant

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 02:59:36 AM »
Hi Mike

I'm really glad you're doing so well both in work and with social activities.

We both know having surgery with Mr Treacy gives you confidence in moving forward with your life post-op.

You were crucial in my getting in to see Mr Treacy for my initial consultation as I cancelled the appointment due to a misunderstanding. I then spoke with you and you calmly explained what I had misunderstood. Fortunately I was able to re-book the same appointment and 3 months later had the operation. I will, of course, always be very grateful to you.

Best wishes for a long healthy future.

rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Mike D

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »
Thanks, chaps. 8)
Right Ceramic THR
8 August 2012

Reno

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 06:45:38 PM »
Hi Mike-

CONGRATULATIONS on one year of your THR!  I am scheduled for my THR of my left hip on Aug 26th, and you were kind enough to respond to my first post almost a month ago now on the other site.  You suggested I should come to this section of the site but I just located this THR Patients section of Surface Hippy today.  :-(     Although I have spent much time over the past weeks here on SH, I have felt a little out of place.  I will be sure to post here in this section and keep up with my fellow-hippies.

It is with trepidation that I am looking forward to my surgery!  I will keep you posted on my progress.

Take care.
Reno

Anna

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 02:42:53 AM »
MIKE!! I didn't realise we share the same hippy birthdays (one year on obviously!) I'm so glad everything is going well for you. How will I recognise you if we pass in York now without the limp???!

Reno -I'm a THR hippy too. I want to hear your story as I'm sure everyone else on this site does. Don't forget, a lot of resurfacing hippies will be revised to THR's at some point in their lives so they will be very keen to know how you get on .... and plus, they are all so lovely on here, they will help and support you anyway and want to know you are doing well!! Good luck  :)

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Mike D

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 12:47:05 PM »
Reno, there are a few of us THR's here now. Not long for you to wait, it's a weird feeling as it gets nearer but you'll be fine. Do keep us informed how it all works out-there will be plenty of encouragement for you here from the hippys who all know what you're going through.

Anna, that one past me by as well, having the same date!
Not sure how you'd recognise me-like you say, no limping! Maybe Pat can start selling some surfacehippy tee shirts-with a suitable THR logo on as well for us lot!
Keep up your good work with the physio, it sounds like your recovery is well on track 8)
Right Ceramic THR
8 August 2012

Reno

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 05:10:32 PM »
Hi Again, Mike and Anna.  Thanks for your encouragement!

Mike, I love the idea about the tee shirts!!!

Reno

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat