+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Just checking in --- updating  (Read 1716 times)

Juno

Just checking in --- updating
« on: August 10, 2013, 10:57:17 AM »
So, I am 4 1/2 weeks post op. I see Dr. Gross this coming Thursday for a 5 week check and am hoping to be released to the next stage of exercises and maybe a stationary bike (who knew I'd be so excited to ride a stationary bike!)

I returned to work last week and while I'm a bit tired, it's been productive and I am glad to be using my brain and feeling some normalcy in my routine. I started being able to drop the cane this past Monday for short distances. I am typically off the cane while in the house, but am taking it with me everywhere else. Having it helps me feel safe - especially in crowds - kind of keeps people away and gives me space.

As of this morning I am finally off the daily baby aspirin and the daily Meloxicam. Yeah! So basically off all meds now except fosamax which I have to take for 5 more months.

Today I went to our area greenway and walked 2 miles. Really concentrating on slow, steady and holding in my core. Husband says he doesn't see a limp although I feel like I'm limping. He says my gait has less of a hitch than it did prior to surgery. Just this week I can tie my sneakers myself. My hamstrings have always been very flexible, so I think that helps a lot. Still not breaking at 90 degrees or crossing the midline though. I am also still icing for 30 minutes 2x a day.

All in all, I know I'm having a great recovery, but it sure feels like its been longer than 4 1/2 weeks!!
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

hernanu

Re: Just checking in --- updating
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 12:05:28 PM »
Congrats Juno! It does seem a long time while you're going through it, but in retrospect it seemed to go by in a blur.

Sounds like you're making good progress.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

podgornymd

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 07:25:29 PM »
Good work Juno!! I am almost 4 months out and my recovery in terms of walking mirrored yours. I too liked the cane to keep people away from my hip. I too felt like i was limping but not to anyone else. My leg actually felt shorter than the other one. That is normal. I still have that feeling now when i overdo it but when my hip feels good my gait feels so normal and painfree. so you still have alot of healing to go so keep it slow and steady and it will just happen one day when you wake up.
eman

Juno

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 10:41:51 AM »
So, now 5 weeks post op and heading to see Dr. Gross for my check up.

I think I slightly overdid it on Monday -- I've been limping since then and back to the cane for support. Two steps forward, one step back. So frustrating!!

Hoping once released to do some abduction exercises that some of this tightness will reduce and ROM will really start to return.

Since stopping the mobic on Saturday I can really feel my un operated hip and the OA there.

I know I'm whining and I'm sorry -- just need to vent. I need to schedule the left side for December and just can't imagine doing it all again. Please tell me to breathe and continue the slow and steady path. I know it.....it's just hard to do when everyone else sees you up and around and assumes your fine. Does that make sense?

Thanks as always for the support.

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 12:50:48 PM »
It does Juno. We are apparently stealthy in our pain, since no obvious outward sign is there.

People don't get the amount of pain involved and don't make any connection with the real injury within. If they could see the area, then they may be more empathetic, but...

I learned long ago that only some people actually get it. The good thing is that everyone here does, we've all seen the monster.

Breathe and continue the slow and steady path.

I also had a quick second surgery. The way I dealt with it is to tackle the two surgeries as a whole. Have the first, recuperate and make sure that first hip is ready to help the second, do exercises to get prepped for the next and then jump into the second.

No possibility in the mind for any other path, so it is a laser beam path. Acceptance of the next is the key, then envision both hips improving way the operated hip is now.

Then no more surgeries, OA pain, just cruising to the next thing you want to do without wincing.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Lauren Lee

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 10:25:10 PM »
Juno, As I recall you are an extremely active, fit woman. Now I am 8 weeks post op and I would be anxious about facing another surgery but I was anxious about having the first one, and it is turning out just fine. So breathe, take it slow and steady. Eyes on the prize. Have some cheese with that fine whine and enjoy looking forward to getting back to your yoga and all of the other things that you want to do!  The future is bright.
I think recovery is a lot slower for me than I thought it would be but it is the only way to do it and do it right. We all know that. Some of us (me) think we'll be the exception and be total rock stars and somehow race ahead of the pack,  but remember who won the race. You'll be good by December and you will then have not have one bad hip and one recovering hip but TWO recovering hips!
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Juno

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 07:20:24 AM »
Thanks for the support. I'm feeling good -- just needed to have a little pity party!

The follow up went well. X-ray was perfect and Lee was thrilled with my strength and progress. I was allowed to progress to the abduction and forward lift exercises, along with some basic stretches. Can break 90 degrees, but no inward rotation, deep squats, crossing knees or knees to chest until 6 months. I am hopeful the exercises will help the IT band tightness.

I'm planning to try 10 minutes on the stationary bike after work today, along with my exercises.

Here's to progress!

Also, I am officially scheduled to have hip #2 done in early December. I just keep thinking that by this time next year I should be well healed and will be bionic in both hips!

Reno

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 03:57:30 PM »
Hi Juno-

I am a Newbie on the site and I have been following your progress, as I prepare for my THR on Aug 26th!  What you described as a pity party, sounds more like just needing for someone to hear you and understand...  And, that's what I love about this site and the people who support one another.

My best friend's husband told me and my sig. other, at lunch the other day, that someone his sister knows had hip surgery and was at a picnic two weeks later.  I knew what was coming...  My sig. other thinks I should be able to heal at the same, if not faster, rate.  I let him know that my body will heal at its own rate and that I would be listening to it, rather than trying to match what someone else did. 

That said, I really do appreciate Pat for starting this site, along with all of the people who share their stories and lift one another up!!!

Good luck as you continue to progress with this hip and with your upcoming surgery in December!

Reno

Juno

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 04:42:45 PM »
Thanks Reno! It sure does help to write it all out and know others understand.

You will progress. I can finally look back and see how far I've come so far. It's all good and the OA pain is gone. :)

Today I went to the gym for the first time. 10 minutes on the bike (level 2), 10 minutes on the elliptical (level 2) and a 10 minute walk on the treadmill --- then I did my prescribed exercises. This side leg lifts are hard-- but I did 10 of them today. Feels good and no pain!

Everyone is right -- into 6 weeks really is a turning point!

Good luck to you and please keep us all posted!!

packman

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 05:28:04 PM »
Hi Juno - once I got the clearance from Dr. Gross / Lee, at 6 weeks I found it was an accelerating curve upwards - the ellipticals / striders is what got me going, plus the confidence that everything was healing normal. The stationary bike was more so so. Was a little opposite of you - the prone leg lifts were a bit straining so I took that part easy - the side leg lifts were not that difficult and I was able to increase them week over week by 5 more reps.
I took Hern's advice plus someone else about not overdoing the strength parts and making sure that the stretches were kept up with.
Stay the course and walk / walk / walk for your confidence and comfort
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz