+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Zimmer vs. Birmingham  (Read 7581 times)

hollyk

Zimmer vs. Birmingham
« on: June 06, 2008, 03:06:12 PM »
I am scheduled for hip re-surfacing in less than 2 weeks. My surgeon uses "Zimmer" not the "Birmingham, that I have read and heard about so much. His reasons made sense to me, but now I am having second thoughts.. If you have any knowledge/experience about this please get in touch. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:53:54 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Zimmer vs. Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 09:14:19 AM »
Hi Holly

I think I sent you this page already, but am not sure

http://www.surfacehippy.info/mostpopularhrdevice.php  Not many doctors in the US are using the Zimmer now.  I don't know much about it, but I do know that if you choose a really good experienced surgeon - they will choose the best hip device for you.  I would worry more about the surgeon than the hip device. 

Sorry I can't help more.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hollyk

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 05:05:46 PM »
Thanks Pat..Did doctors here stop using the Zimmer for any particular reason? My Dr. has been doing hip replacements for almost 28 years, but has only done about 15 resurfacing surgeries. I am still a bit uncomfortable with the fact he doesn't use the Birmingham because that seems to be the most successful from what I can tell.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 05:59:03 PM »
Hi

I just don't think many doctors used the Zimmer.  I think Gross used the Cormet early on and swithced to Biomet.  Many of the early doctors in the US used the Wright C+ since they were originally FDA testing with that one.  The ASR was used by a few. Not many used the Cormet either.

I think everyone was surprised when the FDA approved the BHR since they were originally test the Wright C+.  Then along came the Cormet being approved.

I don't know if anyone knows what and how the FDA works.

Anyways, I just don't think it was being used.  If I ever hear an answer why - I would share that info.  The BHR just seems to be the most popular hip resurfacing device world wide.  But even Dr. De Smet says that time may change what becomes the most popular and used hip.  HE had prefered the BHR two years ago, but I recently heard that he is now using more Wright C+ hips.  The doctors get use to using a certain hip and the instrumentation that goes with it.  De Smet had said he felt the Wright C+ had better instrumentation than the BHR, but he still used a lot of BHRs.

It takes a lot of time and history before trends develop.

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hollyk

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 03:12:48 PM »
Update..I received a letter today, 7 weeks after my surgery, that the sale of the Zimmer Durom Cup Hip Implant has been "temporarily suspended". According to the letter, it mentions that a Dr. in California has been verbal about the high failure rate of this implant. However, other high volume centers in the U.S. have NOT had this problem. I guess I'll see how it goes!
hollyk

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 04:31:19 PM »
Hi

I posted one of the stories on my Hip Resurfacing News  http://www.hipresurfacingnews.com/archives/235-Zimmer-Hip-Issue-Delays-Resurfacing-System,-May-Help-Rivals.html

Since they pulled the cups, it means the FDA approval is on hold too since the same cups were used in the MomS and the hip resurfacing device.

We will all keep our fingers crosses that you don't have a problem with your cup.  Again, even when there are a few problems, it doesn't mean everyone will have a problem.

Pat
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 08:37:31 PM by Pat Walter »
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 06:29:48 PM »
Unfortunately I am working with one gal who's Zimmer cup is loose and she is facing a revision surgery.  I believe that if the doctor seated the cup the right way then you shouldn't have problems?  But, I dont' know for sure.

Vicky

kb134

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 02:24:31 AM »
Hi!  I had a Durom Hip implanted in my right hip on May 20th of this year.  I've noticed the discussion and thought I could comment.  I had come across the same news about Zimmer's Durom cup and I was already stressed enough with the thoughts of "did I make the right choice?" regarding the hip device.  I've corresponded with Pat W (Pat, you rock!) and she advised I contact Dr de Smet and/or Dr Bose for their thought, since they do respond to questions.  I am currently sending my post-op Xrays (3 months post-op) from my family doc to Dr de Smet, and he will take a look at them.  So far, he has written me,

"I am telling everybody and the compony for more then 5 years!!! about the Durom device.

If it is well done and well burried in the bone it can work very well!!!

So there should not be a problem if you have a well implanted DUROM!"

and of course, this has given me confidence because my surgeon placed the acetablar cup very well.  I still think of "only time will tell," but I cannot let myself get too discouraged over the matter.  It is important to be strong and positive, because I believe your body will respond accordingly.  Of course, new hip devices are not like "original parts," but one thing I know - the debilitating pain in my hip is gone!  Now its the pain of healing.  I ride a bicycle and have logged just over a thousand km's so far with my new hip.  So my thoughts on the Durom hip: So far, so good.  I hope this helps ease your mind.  We're here for you.  Blessings!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 01:12:28 PM »
Hi

I think if you are not having any problems, Dr. De Smets message should be of comfort.

Let's hope your surgeon did a good job of setting your cup and you don't need to worry any more.

I think your thoughts also affect your body and spirit.  I think you are right to just think you have a great new hip and now will be back to enjoying life again.

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

snoots

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 08:27:21 PM »
Hello, I had my left hip resurfaced on April the 8th,08 and it is a Zimmer! So far I am delighted and have been back at my job where I spend most of the time on my feet, grinning, giddy and marveling at how quaint it is to be pain-free.
I also have two lovely dressage horses I ride and train. This is my passion and to be able to climb up on their backs again seems nothing short of a miracle. In January I could no longer ride as it had become a torturous ordeal.
When I heard about the recall I decided not to loose sleep over it and am glad to have made that choice. My gut instincts are telling me all is as well as can be and my Doc set me up very well for success. He was pleased with my 2month post op x-rays commenting that everything was perfectly placed.
I am very happy to read your comment kb134 and thank you all for the great support on this website.

Must go ride now!

Snoots

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 08:35:45 PM »
Hi Snoots

Glad to hear you are doing so well.  You have the right attitude - why worry if everything feels great.

Sounds like you are doing great - 4 months post op and riding again.

A lot of poeple ask if they can ride again after resurfacing.

Thanks for posting and good luck!  Enjoy that new hip.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

kb134

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 01:28:35 AM »
Hello Snoots, and thank you for your comment.  I am glad to hear you're doing so well with your Durom hip.  I didn't know much about hip devices until after my surgery(!)  It was right after that I began to investigate on everything I could find - and thankfully I came across this site too.  I found out I did not ask my surgeon nearly enough questions at all, but I did ask why he and his colleagues didn't use a BHR.  His answer was short an to the point - he believed that the properties in the Durom Hip made it a superior choice. 
During my post-op rehabilitation, I did stress about how my new device was sitting and all - keep in mind, I'm 29 and so I have a long way to go here.  I began to stress a bit.  Did I make the right choice in device?  Did this, did that . ..
I did lose some sleep, and I grew a bit irritable, but I had some solid support around me to build my confidence in my new right hip. 
I had to wait 3 months to see my surgeon again because he was away on holiday for a time, and at my appointment, he addressed all my concerns.  Dr de Smet's emails and my surgeon's confidence had me at a place where I could just sigh and move on.  My X-rays are still to be reviewed by Dr de Smet. 
So far, I'm just over 3 months post op and today, I rode my racing bicycle for 120 km, pain free.  I still have a bit of a limp because I don't have full range of motion and strength back yet, but apart from that all is very well.  On September 10, I get to have arthroscopic surgery on my left hip to remove a bump - I have Cam-type-acetabular impingement.  And an accident 7 years ago accelerated the wearing process in my hips.  So, I'll be 6 weeks on crutches, with my body weight fully on my right foot/hip.  Mr surgeon says no worries but I get a little weirded .. this is my body . .. my new hip . . .
never underestimate exercise.  I am so thankful for my bike - a source for piece of mind and it gives me the ability to go again.  I'm not as strong, a bit heavier, but it takes time and effort.  Honestly though, I think if I ever have to get my left hip done, I'm heading to Belguim to see Dr de Smet, because the experience, via Pat Walter, sounds incredibly uplifting. 
Enjoy your Durom hip girl!

snoots

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 08:30:04 PM »
Hey kb134, How nice to hear from you. My sugeon also thought the durom cup was a superior choice so therefore I can only assume he never encountered problems placing them.
 I was very thankful pre surgery that I could take up a two wheel ride while the four legged ones went on the back burner. It was the best I could do to stay fit as walking had become difficult. I could also weight train,use a rowing machine and stood on a vibration plate at the pilates studio that supposedly builds bone density. According to NASA it helps astronauts rebuild what they lost from weightlessness in space. All of this proved invaluable for rehab as my PT would attest to. He said I was the best case he had seen to date. You are so young but don't forget youth is a strong ally. even though I have 22 years on you My GP remarked that she was happy I had this done sooner than later because you mend much better.
 I met a lovely man at work who drives a tandem dump truck. Noticing his limp I was cheeky enough to inquire what his issue was and he said it was an artificial hip as a result of an accident that happened in 1984. Of course then we had a lot to talk about. He suffered complications with infection and had to have a revision. They wanted to fuse the joint but he wouldn't let them. A longer stem had to be implanted in his femur which has lasted for 24 years to date. Doug (his name) could'nt play the sports he loved anymore but not soon after discovered a new passion, riding large motorcycles. This worried his surgeon who remarked the vibration might be detrimental and cause loosening of the components. I'm not a surgeon nor a rocket scientist but I think Doug's youth and attitude(he says he's the luckiest unlucky guy he knows) and the fact he remains active contributed to the longevity of his hip. Maybe there is something about vibration, who knows. I havn't been back to the pilates studio yet, maybe this winter.
You will get stonger and the limp fades over time. I get a little hitchy after periods of idleness but that gets better too.
 The very best of luck on Sept. 10th and keep riding those bikes!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear