+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Go away, incision!  (Read 1174 times)

Lauren Lee

Go away, incision!
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:35:57 PM »
As some of you know I am almost 9 weeks post and had some pretty miserable med and skin allergies pop up immediately post op. doing great now except....my perfectly straight 5 inch incision continues to get irritated and itchy. I am wondering if it is the glue, or the internal sutures...an allergy, and if the discomfort will EVER go away. Docs PA wasn't worried two weeks ago.
I have never had major surgery, or even stitches so I have no frame of reference for what is normal. I am massaging, gently rolling, applying oil, and ice when it is especially bothersome.
Otherwise all is well. What about this incision?
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Juno

Re: Go away, incision!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 08:53:06 PM »
Lauren -- I know you've had some allergy issues, so of course you want to make sure that is not still a problem. However, itchy, irritated and sometimes painful is pretty normal for incisions of this size. All the nerve endings at the skin surface and below the surface were cut -- these nerve endings to regenerate and you regain feeling again. It takes time - sometimes up to a year - for this to occur. Some scars always feel a little numb in some spots. It's is likely what you are feeling is normal nerve ending regeneration.

I had 2 c - sections and even though its been 22 and 20 years respectively, there is still a numb feeling in parts of that scar. Eventually you just don't notice it anymore.

You may never lose that "lumpiness" -- it's just the way the tissue heals. Keep the area soft with lotion and keep it out of the sun for a year -- the purple look will eventually fade.
I hope that helps!
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Anna

Re: Go away, incision!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 05:38:26 AM »
Awww, Lauren this sounds awful. Has anyone else seen the incision other than your surgeons PA? If you have had skin allergies etc then as Juno says, it will take longer to heal than for others.... and these scars are notorious for being itchy!! Has it been checked out though? Just to eliminate an infection. Is there any weeping or pain?

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM