+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: MLB pitcher Colby Lewis to get a hip resurfacing!  (Read 1425 times)

Arrojo

MLB pitcher Colby Lewis to get a hip resurfacing!
« on: August 19, 2013, 10:59:57 AM »
I like to think my athletic achievements with my new hip are pretty good (see http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/hip-resurfacing-topics/silver-medal-in-50-meter-dash-at-ct-senior-games/  - shameless plug), but I am not a professional athlete.

Colby Lewis on the other hand, will become the first professional athlete in the four major sports (baseball, football, basketball, hockey) to attempt to return to his profession after hip resurfacing!  He hasn't pitched this year, but has won 44 games over 8 seasons and was one of Texas's best pitchers in 2010 and 2011, including the post-season.

He will be having it done by Dr. Su in NYC.  What terrific publicity for us Hippys!  Go Colby!  We are all rooting for your comeback in 2014!

Here is the story from mlb.com:  http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130813&content_id=56854882&notebook_id=56866960&vkey=notebook_tex&c_id=tex

"ARLINGTON -- Colby Lewis will undergo right hip resurfacing surgery next week in New York. The surgery is an alternative to hip replacement surgery, where the ball of the hip isn't replaced. Lewis had about five bone spurs in the hip, and the doctors told Lewis he wouldn't receive the range needed if they just cleaned the bone spurs.

"It's not a full reconstruction, but it's basically more dealt for active lifestyles," Lewis said. "This is the point that it's come to."

The procedure will be done by Dr. Ed Su, who told Lewis he should be ready to go in six months. Lewis said Su's patients can walk a mile seven days a week after the surgery.

"I really haven't talked to him [about] what that's going to entail, or where I'm going to be at, or how much exact pressure I'm going to be able to put on it in three or four months," Lewis said. "The first couple months is getting you up, getting you moving and walking around. The 1-3 month period is where you develop a lot of your strength back, and the bone is adhering to the replacement and go from there."

Lewis expects to get on a mound in four months and begin normal activities. He will be a free agent at the end of the season.

"I knew I was going to have it replaced at some point in my life," Lewis said of his hip. "Right now, I wasn't really hoping on it, but it's something to give me my best opportunity to come back and be pain free. Now that I've made the decision, it's something I'm looking forward to being pain free."

Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

evant

Re: MLB pitcher Colby Lewis to get a hip resurfacing!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:40:59 AM »
Good post Arrojo.

It's going to be interesting following Colby's recovery.

I really hope, for him, that he makes it all the way back to playing professionally - but it will also be good promotion for resurfacing.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

hernanu

Re: MLB pitcher Colby Lewis to get a hip resurfacing!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:00:12 AM »
Nice story, Arrojo (I'm a fan of shameless plugs too  ;D ).  I thought sooner or later a pro athlete would be an HR hippy. Be interesting to see his recovery, especially since he's under the care of a real pro. 

Good luck to him and I'll be rooting for his good recovery. I hear the Red Sox need some good pitching, he has my support to try there once he's fit.  ;D  8)  ;D
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat