+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Newbie looking to learn more  (Read 18033 times)

DavidJ

Newbie looking to learn more
« on: August 21, 2013, 04:27:20 PM »
Not sure this is where I should post this but here's my story.

I just came across this site about a week ago. I'm 39yr old male 170 lbs living in Tampa, FL.  I found out 4 years ago that I have severe arthritis in my right hip and my left is also very bad.  It was also frustrating that no one was able to tell me how this happened, they only said "your so young."
  I was a competitive beach volleyball player at the time and very active.  I took the bad news in stride because my first child was born and now could devote more time to my family.  The pain was not too bad but I realized I should not be jumping and running anymore.  I took up surfing and now its the love of my life besides my family.
4 years later my pain has been getting worse and seems to affect me more then I like.  Some days are better then others but walking or work around the house are now very limited.  I can still surf but I limit how many times I stand up so I'm not in pain the next day.  I have spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on alternative treatments to help me get better.  I'm now starting to think there has to be a better way.
I heard about Hip Resurfacing about 4 yrs ago and for some reason I remember being told it was not a good option and not as promising as one thought.  I was told to put off surgery as long as I can and have a THR when I can no longer take the pain.
After browsing on this site I am amazed at what I am reading.  People are running??? Are you kidding me????  I just want to be an active surfer again and walk around Disney with my family without heading to  the hotel after 2 hours.
OK, so where did I miss the boat??  What was I hearing about it not being for me??
Anyways I have alot of research to here but I have some questions already. 
I live in Tampa so I'm going to make a appt to see Dr.Raterman.  Anyone have experience with him?  Cemented vs Un-Cemented.....sounds interesting but how come in a interview with Dr. Raterman he says its not approved by the FDA but I read about others using it?  What is all the talk about oversea's surgery on here? Isn't the surgery approved for the USA??
Anyways that's all I can think of now but I'm sure there will be more.
Thank you everyone for the personal stories I have head and look for to learning more.

David

Juno

Re: Newbie looking to learn more
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 04:44:08 PM »
David, welcome to the site! I am a relatively new hip patient as well. I had pain for years before I finally found out this last March that I has basically worn out the cartilage on both hips. I'm a 48 yo female. Sometimes we are just the unlucky ones---there may be no definitive cause of reason. I have mild dysplasia.

I would suggest reading everything you can on this web site -- it is a wealth of information and will help you understand the reasons for the negative publicity and why HR really is a godsend to so many young, active patients.

I would also suggest going with the most experienced surgeon you can find. This is one reason why people discuss going overseas for surgery. There are some pioneer surgeons overseas and they have excellent references. We do have a handful of extremely dedicated surgeons here in the US that do large numbers of HR. For me, it was very important that I went to one of the most experienced surgeons --- I live in Atlanta and saw 3 surgeons here that said they would do my surgery if I wanted it --- but each of them do less than 30 resurfacing a year. So, I went to see Dr. Gross in Columbia, SC. He did my surgery 6 weeks ago and I am having a fabulous recovery. Friends ask why one of the best HR surgeons would be in SC versus Atlanta -- I think he likes living there, the hospital caters to him and his patients AND 70% of his patients travel to see him! He's that good. His life's work is resurfacing.

I wish you all the best. Research everything and don't settle. Find the best surgeon and get your life back! Even at 6 weeks I can't tell you how much better I feel and best of all the arthritis pain is gone.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:02:35 PM by Juno »
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

HippyDogwood

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »
David

I have been hanging around this site for about one year now as found myself in a similar position to you. I'm also in the minority here in that I have not had surgery yet, but have spent hours soaking up valuable advice.

The summary in my eyes is that resurfacing looks a very good option for the right candidate. The reason it does not get more positive publicity is that there has been so much focus on bad outcomes for those that research now shows were not suited. The single largest risk factor is metallosis, whereby excessive friction between the metal components can cause some very serious medical issues and would necessitate further surgery for a conventional hip replacement. Lawsuits followed and most of the medical profession ran a mile as why risk being sued when conventional total hip replacement surgery is far easier to perform and universally suitable (but far more restrictive as to what the patient can do...)

Research data is now pretty clear that most instances were down to either poor surgery (implanting device at the wrong angle or picking the wrong size cup) or poor choice of patient, which in most instances was one that had bones too small to need a large enough cup to spread the load.

It was a huge learning curve and lots of patients got problems along the way which get the press, but that should not detract from the fact that there are a number of surgeons who have performed 1,000's of these operations and because they are technically skilled and selected patients well, they have had fantastic results. That's why you'll see everyone here imploring the use of well know resurfacers who have performed large numbers and understand how to get it right.

So there you are, that's what I've picked up in 12 months of lurking here. I still think it will be a great option for me and suspect I'll be under the knife within the next 12 months and have got my surgeon lined up, but for now I'm gonna soldier on as even though I feel confident that things will work out well, I'm pretty good at putting up with the pain at the moment, plus now is not a great time for the rehab needed.

David

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 07:09:35 PM »
Not sure this is where I should post this but here's my story.

I just came across this site about a week ago. I'm 39yr old male 170 lbs living in Tampa, FL.  I found out 4 years ago that I have severe arthritis in my right hip and my left is also very bad.  It was also frustrating that no one was able to tell me how this happened, they only said "your so young."

Hi David, it's a common refrain, not just heard about getting OA, but also about getting a hip resurfacing. It's considered a disease that older people get and somehow looked down upon.

The way I look at it, it's a disease like any other, some get it and some don't. Based on the population that posts here, more active people tend to get it.

I was a competitive beach volleyball player at the time and very active.  I took the bad news in stride because my first child was born and now could devote more time to my family.  The pain was not too bad but I realized I should not be jumping and running anymore.  I took up surfing and now its the love of my life besides my family.
4 years later my pain has been getting worse and seems to affect me more then I like.  Some days are better then others but walking or work around the house are now very limited.  I can still surf but I limit how many times I stand up so I'm not in pain the next day.  I have spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on alternative treatments to help me get better.  I'm now starting to think there has to be a better way.

If you look around the site, we are and were very active in many different areas, before and after the OA and hip resurfacing. There are also some very active THR folks, if you have the right type.

For a younger person who is a good candidate, I believe this is the best procedure. It maintains your bone mass, mirrors the way the natural hip bears weight and if ever a THR is needed, it will be like the first procedure.

I think this is the better way.

I heard about Hip Resurfacing about 4 yrs ago and for some reason I remember being told it was not a good option and not as promising as one thought.  I was told to put off surgery as long as I can and have a THR when I can no longer take the pain.

There are many posts here about how HR is a good procedure.

As to the other, seeing how you feel now at 39, and knowing it will get worse, not 'stabilize' but get worse, waiting fifteen years for a THR at 55 means those years will be wasted.

Why not take care of the problem now?

After browsing on this site I am amazed at what I am reading.  People are running??? Are you kidding me????  I just want to be an active surfer again and walk around Disney with my family without heading to  the hotel after 2 hours.
OK, so where did I miss the boat??  What was I hearing about it not being for me??

There are many active surfers here, they can fill you in. Snowboarders, etc.

I think this is for you. Just do your research until you feel the time is right and you are convinced that this is for you. The right time for this is when you feel comfortable with it.

Anyways I have alot of research to here but I have some questions already. 
I live in Tampa so I'm going to make a appt to see Dr.Raterman.  Anyone have experience with him?  Cemented vs Un-Cemented.....sounds interesting but how come in a interview with Dr. Raterman he says its not approved by the FDA but I read about others using it?  What is all the talk about oversea's surgery on here? Isn't the surgery approved for the USA??

I know some folks have gone to Dr. Raterman. Search the posts and you'll see their comments, or message them.

The surgery is approved in the US, but there are some very skilled surgeons abroad, and some folks use them. This is also an international board, with large contingents of active hippies from other countries.

They may have chosen to go to India (Dr. Bose), Belgium, England where some of the best surgeons in the world for this procedure ply their trade. The US has its share of excellent doctors as well.

Look at the stories, post a question like you've done when you need information and we'll be glad to help you.

Anyways that's all I can think of now but I'm sure there will be more.
Thank you everyone for the personal stories I have head and look for to learning more.

David
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

podgornymd

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 10:41:35 PM »
Hey David,

Everyone made great points. I was in same boat. I am 49 and live in vail adn was a ultraendurance mtn biker and backcountry telemarker along with snowboarding and ski skating. the ironic thing is i am an Emergency room doctor and surrounded by the best orthos around and all of them told me not to have it done. But being 49 and hoping to live another 30 active years and seeing all the dislocated artificial hips over the years i decided to have BHR. Even with my medical background and understanding alot of the research papers i still was hesitant to get it but after reading all the posts on this website i decide to do it . I am 4 months out and the recovery is slower than i thought but i hope in 2 months to be doing alot more.

Right now i am swimming 1-1.5 miles 3x/wk and biking 20 miles/dy 3x/wk. I think it is the way to go especially at your age. I too recieved all the other treatment modalities including stem cells with little success. The way i looked at  it if for some reason this doesnt work at least i still have all my bone structure in  case i need a THR.

I hope that helps but you need to do your due diligence so that you can make an informed decision and feel good about it.

Good luck.
Eman

Anna

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 02:48:23 AM »
Hey David,

I cant really add too much more as you seem to have already received excellent advice  :D

One thing you could do though is email your x-rays to a few well known surgeons to get their initial opinion. I emailed mine to Dr Bose and Dr Smet who are both top resurfacing surgeons and are both willing to look at your x-rays through an email. Without going into too much detail, they will be able to give you an initial idea as to whether you are a good candidate for resurfacing. I got a reply from both of them within a couple of days.

Good luck

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

luann again

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 08:24:16 AM »
David,
Look into it definitely!!! I got about 5 consults before my surgery. I must say that the only one that was a proponent to HR was the Dr who performed the procedure. The other Dr's didn't know enough about it. My recommendation would be to find 2 or 3 Dr's who have actually done A LOT of them and get their opinions. Then choose your surgeon. Pat has a list on this site. Travel out of state if you must to see the most experienced Dr.
My component ( Wright C+) was approved for use by my Ins co. only a couple months before I received it. It has given me my life back and, being only 45 when I had the surgery, it has given me a better outlook on any future surgeries I may need (hopefully not, but just being realistic). I have had it three + years now and do any activities I choose!
Good luck.  Look into HR with a passion or you may always regret it. Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

chuckm

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 02:42:57 PM »
David, I'm almost 9 months post op with a left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing device. It has a cemented femoral component and a press fit cup that the bone grows into. This device has, by far, the most extensive compilation of data of all the resurfacing devices with more than 15 years. It is also the most successful.

I was in pain and was all set to settle for a total hip replacement. I had also come to the conclusion that sports were done for me but with a total hip replacement, I could at least walk the mall with my family without pain. But then I saw a Smith & Nephew commercial on TV about hip resurfacing and it showed caricature playing soccer and that's when I started my research.

I was excited that this resurfacing device could help me get back to playing soccer, of course at a lower and more recreational level than before. Well, after not even 6 months, it definitely got me back to playing soccer. But my expectations to return at a lower level were TOTALLY WRONG! Yesterday, almost 9 months with my new hip device, I played 90 minutes of intense soccer. It was a small game of 4 v 4. It was full out sprinting, tackling, cutting, starting and stopping. And to boot, I played a 90 minute full field soccer the day before! After one of my teammates saw some of the things I was doing, he joked around asking where he could get one of those hip devices! I am totally astonished too when I think about the level of athletic activity I am enjoying with not even the slightest thought that I even have the device in me.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 08:12:47 PM »
chuckm - I was really happy to read that post of yours! Like so many others the traditional hip surgeon told me my soccer days were over. At age 58 I'm pushing it but there are several 50+'s in our Sunday morning pickup game, which has become the high point of my week, so I think I've still got a few years left.
At 4 weeks post-op I'm still somewhat in "will I ever be the same again" mode so this really cheered me up.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

DavidJ

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 02:50:17 PM »
Thank you all very much for sharing with me your stories and experiences.  What I am learning from them is very valuable in this entire process.  To actually hear people's personal stories about decision making and recovery and current activity level is a priceless tool that will go along way in this decision. 
Look forward to hearing and learning more.

Thank You
David

Charvel101

• Bi Lateral Hip Replacements 6 Years Apart
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 12:13:07 AM »
I certainly echo the advice from everyone but must stress you look at the data from the Birmingham hip resurfacing and the Mcminn centre information. Also take into account he units that have been fitted not all where cold manufactured Cobalt Steel and not all are indeed fitted correctly  or the right target group .   So this was my conclusion once I had read everything I could find before deciding to have mine done this month.

My expectations of life after surgery
The type of unit suitable to achieve that
The make of that type of unit
The surgeons success rate in my target group and over how many

The Result was clear for me a Mcminn fitted Birmingham hip resurfacing. (BHR )

Now time will tell if I chose wisely , truth is I already move better after 7 days and I've  watched the YouTube of him performing this fittment and I understand engineering,  I couldn't fail to be impressed and I am.

It's a tough call but to agree with everyone else if your young it's hard to see what other option there is if you want to enjoy an active life when you are best place to do so in your mid life ! ,,, if I was in my 60s then a limp or a traditional THR would be no issue,,, I would still try and get a BHR done if I could though ....

Good luck this is a great site I agree .... (-:

Mr Mcminn 2013 August 20th Left BHR   (-:
Ronan Treacy January 2020 Right BHR

DavidJ

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
So I've read alot about recovery times being 6-12 months depending on the patient.  My question is why?  I realize your hip needs to be dislocated.  Are muscles cut?  Does it take this long for the device to attach with bone? 
Also, does anyone have more info on cement vs uncemented?  I would like to learn more but not finding much.  Is this the way the surgery is headed?  Pros and cons?

Thanks

David

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 11:35:34 PM »
The reason for the time, I think is that the bone has to grow into two areas:

The top of the femur, with a metallic cap as part of the implant. The hip bone itself holds the cup that the metal capped femur goes into.

The hip bone cup is not implanted with any glue. The femur cap, for different components is, but some are not.

The reason for the limitation is that at six months, the bone is mostly grown into the hip bone cup and the femur cap. Before that time, the bone is only partially grown in and may fail if overly stressed. I was told that I could do most activities, but had to hold off from heavy impact until twelve months.

Since my preferred activities involve heavy impact, I did not return to those until about 11 months.

There are several bad things that can happen if the joint is pushed too early, so it is wise to hold off until the joint is rock solid.

DavidJ

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 12:20:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply hernanu.
What type of impact things are you now able to do? 
Are you happy with your decision?

Thanks,
David

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply hernanu.
What type of impact things are you now able to do? 
Are you happy with your decision?

Thanks,
David

Hi David. I think you'll find many people here have gone back to competitive running (sprinting, marathons), riding (cutting, etc.), skiing, surfing and off road motorcycling, powerlifting, cycling. Those are just a small selection, there's many others. Mine and that of several other hippies is martial arts.

I've gone back to full power kicking of a heavy bag for a sustained amount of time. I also weight lift respectably (not like some of our powerlifters, but somewhere below), including leg lifts, presses, etc. Soccer and basketball are also in there.

I don't do a ton of running, but enough to be able to run faster than someone else in case of a bear attack.

So I'm able to do the things I want to do with little thought about the implants themselves. They feel just like a part of the original equipment, and did from the start.

All of those I started at 11 months or so, a bit later than some here, but I think most of us will recommend that you hold off until six months for anything that will provide hard pounding.

Miguelito

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 02:50:10 PM »
Hi David,

Just wanted to chime in regarding length of recovery. You know about the dislocation thing. This is major surgery. Things get cut, moved in and out of position, bruised. Personally my leg was just a log for a week after surgery. Not like alog. A log.

This is major surgery. The body takes time to heal.

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

DavidJ

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
So after a good workout, game of soccer or basketball, do you feel different in your hip?  Maybe some soreness or discomfort?  Or does everything feel normal?

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 04:43:58 PM »
Just the usual soreness from a hard workout for me normally. Once in a great while it is a little sore, but nothing that doesn't go away in a bit.

I still feel like I'm improving, so there will be some things that cause 'twinges'. They are few and far between though, and getting fewer.

So most of the time, no soreness or discomfort.

DavidJ

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 07:56:06 PM »
I have my first appt with Dr. Raterman on Tuesday.   I'm excited but nervous.  I thought I read that a list of questions to ask the doctor are on this site but I can not find them.  Anyone help?

Gazza2

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 08:33:33 PM »
Here you go

www  surfacehippy.info/questionsfordoctor.php

(Had to break the URL as the board does not let me post URLs)
Dr Kim Ottawa LHR Cementless C+ Feb 2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal