+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Resurfacing in one week!!!  (Read 3131 times)

Elliemay1974

Resurfacing in one week!!!
« on: August 29, 2013, 08:43:04 PM »
Hey everyone.. I had hip dysplasia at birth, had surgery when I was 2yr old.. was great until the last 2 years, then starting having problems... So now at 39 Im having the resurfacing on my hip.. Im not looking forward to this but trying to focus on the good and the pain that should go away.. I have seen horror stories and  good stories about this resurfacing so hoping all goes well :)  I was just looking for some support and advice  thanks ELLEN

oldsoccerplayer

Re: Resurfacing in one week!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 07:30:21 AM »
From what I've seen most of the stories on this site are positive. Spend some time reading the more recent ones and you'll get a good idea of what to expect. You'll see that resurfacing is not a "one size fits all" experience in more ways than one.  ;)
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 08:56:16 AM »
Hey Elliemay, congrats on the upcoming! The good is very good in my experience, the OA pain is gone.

The recuperation is not easy, but it is progressively better and you can see the improvements as you go. But to me, the best thing was the complete absence of the old pain. Such a euphoric thing.

Every recovery is different and yours will be that way, but there are many common threads. One of the most usual is wishing that you had the procedure earlier.  I know I did.

Good luck next week and keep us posted.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

nevinyoung

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 06:47:34 PM »
Keep a positive attitude and make sure you are confident in your surgeon.

I am 18 days post left hip resurfacing. Today I can walk for over a mile on one crutch, and can limp along for short distances without a crutch, although I avoid doing so because I want to take the recovery slow and steady.

If you are in otherwise good shape, from what I see on this site, you should expect to be walking unassisted within a month to six weeks, without any serious pain, or at least, little pain compared to what you are experiencing now.

Keep a good attitude about your recovery and don't overdo it. You will be tired and worn out for a couple of weeks at least, but it will get better as time goes on.

Elliemay1974

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »
Thanks everyone for sharing ur stories this makes me feel much better!!!! I can do this!! :-D its great to talk to others that already went thru this....thank u

Elliemay1974

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:42:18 PM »
OK so IM on the countdown here with One day and a half days left till my HR , feeling anxious and nervous... I know things will be fine, but any surgery is so scary...I havent been sleeping well and was looking forward to sleeping but apparently that wont happen while in the hospital hahaha :)  Had my hip class today very informative about my hospital stay. I can do this!!!

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 09:54:56 AM »
Ellie, I can say that even though the hospital had many interruptions, my sleep from the OA was so bad beforehand that just being able to sleep three hours at a time of deep sleep was a blessing.

Your sleep will be interrupted, but the OA pain will be gone, so you may get some good rest.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Elliemay1974

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 01:49:05 PM »
Hello everyone... well things didn't go as planned for me... I ended up with a total hip replacement due to my socket being too small once they got in there they tried everything to make it work but due to structure issues it would have been more problems for me so a total hip I received !!! So I'm one month post-op and that was the most painful thing I have ever been through... I'm doing better walking with a cane and going to physical therapy 3xs a week.. My leg is still very weak, but Im getting around and doing better, each day was a challenge but I made it!!!

whyme

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 02:36:30 PM »
Hi Ellie,

Sorry the HR didn't work out, but THR is still a very good option (in your case, the best option). I see you got surgery around the same day as me. I just posted about my 4 week post op, fortunately for me there wasn't much pain from the beginning, but what it counts is how it performs in the end, not so much at the start.
Maybe, as I've been through surgery before (not hip), probably I lowered my expectations and then it all felt better.
Let's see where we are in 2, 3, 6 and 12 months!
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat