+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Question about post-op travel  (Read 3342 times)

jennym

Question about post-op travel
« on: September 03, 2013, 01:53:21 PM »
I'm due for my resurfacing at the beginning of November, and my family is trying to make travel plans for December. I guess that although I know every body and every recovery is different, I'm looking for advice about travel planning. I'll be nearly 7 weeks post-op by the time we have vacation, does anyone have advice on plane travel that early? It's possible it'd be a long one (12+ hour flight) and I've heard that sitting for long periods can be painful, and I don't want to either wreck myself or my family's vacation. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Granton

Re: Question about post-op travel
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »
My only travel experience post op is about five days later by car. I needed to get out and exercise about every hour.

I am sure your surgeon or his/her office could give advice.

Mr McMinn's website advises overseas patients to wait a week after discharge from hospital (so nearly two weeks) before a long-haul flight.

David
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »
This might sound crazy, but can you afford to travel business class? I had spinal surgery in '06 and went on a long flight a few weeks later. I was lucky enough to have amassed enough frequent flier points to get the upgrade. When you factor in the length of the flight, not to mention the 7 hours we spend on the tarmac due to "mechanical problems",  I don't know what I'd have done without the ability to stretch out.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Gazza2

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »
I flew to Asia on a business trip ~7 wks post op.  Everyone is different but by then I think you should be fine with the general sitting needed for boring travel.  You may find yourself a little stiff and need to move every hour or so etc.
Dr Kim Ottawa LHR Cementless C+ Feb 2013

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »
Barring any complications you should be fine to travel, by week 8 1/2 weeks I played 18 holes of golf.

As with anybody, make sure to get up and walk around during a long flight one can easily end up with a clot in the leg even if you have not just had a surgery.  If you cannot get up, do foot pumps.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

John C

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 11:19:42 PM »
I did a 5 hour flight to Hawaii at exactly seven weeks. It went fine, but I would highly suggest getting up and walking/ standing for at least five minutes out of every hour. I did three flights at about 4 days after surgery, and first class with a bulkhead seat was very wonderful, not something that I would normally do. By seven weeks, the seating didn't really matter as long as I got up at least every hour.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

maxx6789

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 12:38:01 AM »
jennym - can i ask, how old (about) are you?

as you mentioned, this will vary and depend on a number of things that you can't really control. for me -- i was 45 and 46 --- and both times at 7 weeks traveling that far on a plane would have been no problem. at 7 weeks, i was walking without any assisted device and feeling great.

yes, getting up and walking a few times would be a good idea for all people on the plane, including you!!
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

jennym

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 11:03:16 PM »
I'm 42, and have been biking a lot this summer to strengthen. Also will be contacting PT and the surgeon this week about pre-surgery exercises or anything else I can do to be strong beforehand. Thanks everyone for the tips!

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 07:52:58 AM »
All good, positive things Jenny. Keep it up as long as you can. It can only help, try to work the upper body too, you'll need it for standing up / sitting / operating early on.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lgbran

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 01:41:50 AM »
Sounds good and reassuring. Just booked a cruise South Pacific leaving early March 2014. See surgeon next week. Hope he is free for surgery early November 2013.last cruise in April this year to celebrate turning 50- hip was so sore and pouting on 6 kg in 12 Days didn't help. Looking to hit the gym and recover on the boat. Cannot wait for cruise and more importantly my hip resurface
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

lgbran

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 05:43:40 AM »
P.S.  Will I be right to travel on a cruise 10 weeks after surgery.Obviously the operation will dictate how much or little I do- not that I intend to do much.it would be nice to hear from someone who has travelled on a cruise shortly after their op.

Juno

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 07:37:05 AM »
Of course everyone heals differently --- I am 8 weeks post op and am having no issues sleeping, walking or sitting for longer periods. We just make the 7 hour car trip to the beach and outside of making sure to stop every 2 hours for a restroom / stretch break, I did just fine.

We are heading to Disney World in 4 weeks -- so I'll be 12 weeks post op. I'm not expecting to have any issues and will just plan to rest (and even ice the hip) when needed.

As far as a cruise 3 months post op -- you should be great! There may be activities on shore you want to avoid, but a relaxing cruise would be awesome :) I am having my other hip done in mid-December and we are cruising the Caribbean in early April. Looking forward to it!
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

lgbran

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 12:01:36 AM »
Thanks Juno.. The Caribbean sounds awesome. The closest we got to the Caribbean was Rhapsody of the sea .(via Royal Carribean Cruise lines lol) absolutely magic. On the last cruise a few oldies with walkers , crutches ,wheelchairs and the like. Good on them for travelling. I intend to be far mobile by then. You will have a ball on the cruise especially once both hips are done:)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat