+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Losing weight post op  (Read 1817 times)

Juno

Losing weight post op
« on: September 06, 2013, 07:47:36 AM »
I suspect many of you, like me, had to reduce your workout time months prior to surgery and/or couldn't work out as hard and your metabolism slowed -- hence weight gain and muscle mass loss.

So, here I am 8 weeks post op and I have finally been able to wrap my head around the need to lose 7 pounds ( that may not sound like a lot, but I'm a 5'4" female - 7 pounds is a whole new wardrobe!). Also, my quads have lost significant muscle tone and my strength is diminished.

I'm watching calories in and attempting to make clean eating choices. Just really getting back to the workouts this week --- concentrating on stationary bike, elliptical and walking and increasing speed/duration slightly to break a sweat. Upper body weight work is good...can lift light without issues, doing planks, push-ups and abdominal work. It's the leg work that's an issue -- waiting to lunge, squat and "weight the hip".

Do you have a post op weight loss story? Can you share your motivation? I can deal with feeling a bit "flabby" for a while, but definitely need to lose the weight and feel stronger before I have the second hip done in December. I don't want to go into surgery number two in worse shape.

Juno
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

luann again

Re: Losing weight post op
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 04:20:55 PM »
Yes I did! Just a few pounds, like you. Light healthy eating and definitely a stationary bike! A recumbent worked well for me. I also did as much walking as the leg, crutches, and finally cane allowed. Good luck!  (5'2" small framed female) Lu.
PS. 3+ years post op HR= easy to exercise and keep it off now!  :)
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

maxx6789

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:29:17 PM »
for me, in between hip #1 and hip#2 operations it was hard for me to exercise. i said "i will deal with this extra weight after my second operation". so, leading up to my second operation, i ate  badly and did not exercise enough and gained weight. but, after my second operation, i lost about 10 lbs within the first two weeks and lost another 15 over the last year. i now weigh 165 as a 5'11" male. i think it will be hard to loss much weight between operations but a lot easier after the second. well, that's my weight loss story!!
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

Juno

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »
Maxx-- I was starting this think that way too....but just decided there was no way I could not workout. It's hard!! We so much want to be normal again.

This morning I felt about as normal as I have in a long time! 9 weeks post op and I completed a full 55 minutes spin class and a great upper body / core workout. It was the first time in months I felt that endorphin rush! So good.

I feel like I'm on my way.

Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

lgbran

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 11:00:06 PM »
 A few years back despite exercising most days I still gained weight. I saw a nutritionist who out me on a lifestyle change. The weigh fell off even with reduced exercises. I was eating the wrong foods. you could also try a hypnotist. even subtle changes in food choices should result in some loss.  Fast forward to this  April the weight gas slowly crept back and I put on 6 kg on a cruise. my hip was killing me and I was the heaviest I've been in my life. I've managed to lose 20 kg since then as I count down to my op. in November. this time I didn't see the nutritionist or eat different food to my other family members  I just ate sensibly , portion control and exercises moderately. I'm sure you can do it and once the other hip is done you will be kicking goals.good luck :)
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat