+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Now four weeks post op  (Read 2469 times)

nevinyoung

Now four weeks post op
« on: September 08, 2013, 01:19:07 PM »
Hello everyone, I had my left hip resurfaced (Cormet device) on August 12 at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore. I went back to work two weeks ago for half days, and last week, for full days. (I work at a desk and my job is usually no more than typing at a computer and talking on the telephone). I have been using one crutch until two or three days ago, when I started to use a walking stick to smooth out my limp, which seems to let me walk with a normal gait.

Sleeping is much more comfortable now-- I used to struggle to find a good position but now I can just sleep on the unoperated side and not worry about it.

I still don't walk more than a mile or so at a time, although I feel I could, and I use the bicycle seat adaptor on my 2 in 1 elliptical machine to cycle for 10 or 15 minutes on the lowest or second lowest resistance setting every day. Yesterday I used the standing elliptical for just a little bit.

There are times when I feel I barely limp at all. My five week follow up appointment with Dr. Mont is this coming Friday. Keeping fingers crossed that everything has stayed in place and looks normal.

Juno

Re: Now four weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 02:15:57 PM »
Awesome update! Sounds like you're doing well. I found real improvement after 5-6 weeks....hoping the same for you. :)
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:29:40 PM »
Sounds great Nevin and good luck.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

nevinyoung

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 05:44:47 PM »
I am bumping this up now. I am sorry I have not checked in for a while. I got the procedure on August 12, and when back for a three month follow up a few days ago.

I am basically good to go. There are some days that I don't even think once about the fact that I had a hip resurfaced about three months ago. Dr. Mont says I don't have to come back until next year, and I have some exercises to do at home.

Last week I climbed a small mountain, three and a half miles uphill, 1900 feet of elevation gain, with about 25 pounds in my backpack. Didn't think about my hip even once.

I am grateful for this great technology and hoping I keep this hip a long time before needing a revision-- of course, hoping not ever, but if it goes 10 or 15 years I will consider this a big win.

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 06:16:52 PM »
That's great Nevin... !

One thing to keep in mind. It is exhilarating to be free from the OA pain, especially if you're having a great recovery.

Remember though that this is a bone / device procedure and although you're feeling great muscularly, you still have bone healing and growth within the first six months and up to a year. Take care of that growth.

Make sure you don't exceed the limits set by your surgeon and keep up the good work.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat