+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 8 weeks knees are hurting?  (Read 1783 times)

catfan

8 weeks knees are hurting?
« on: September 09, 2013, 05:24:10 PM »
It has been 8 weeks since my BHR on my left hip and both my knees are very sore.  I never had any issues with my knees before the surgery so curious if anyone else has experienced this and if so what the cause may have been?

MikeF

Re: 8 weeks knees are hurting?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 07:18:07 PM »
I'm at 8 weeks also......8 weeks today in fact.  Yes, I've had right knee pain going up stairs.  I've had a nagging lower back discomfort.....sitting down, in bed, sometimes when I twist in one direction or another.  It feels like it's about to spasm but it never does.  I had back issues prior to my surgery and I will say it has been relieved somewhat, but it still exists.  I'm also dealing with a mild case of plantar's fasciitis (sp?) on the surgery side.
Tomorrow I have my first PT session.  Hoping to do the work that helps, strengthens, and relieves some of the issues that have arisen since surgery.  I'm chalking it all up to the body adjusting post surgery.  I noticed just today that I'm feeling much better when I get up after sitting for awhile. That was really frustrating to me.
I was told during my post op appointment (not by my surgeon) that I didn't need to be concerned about scar tissue build up.  I was surprised about that and was told that my surgeon did a very full range of motion on the operating table and that scarring would not be an issue.   
I would appreciate any comment about that if anyone is willing.....
Mike

chuckm

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 08:17:12 PM »
I'm 9 months post op and went through lots of new pains (injuries).
Back pain that I had before surgery finally went away once I could really extend the hip. While the flexor was still tight for first few months I would sometimes get back pain.
Both knees were really sore for periods - like 6 week spells. I asked my doctor if maybe I had rheumatoid arthritis because so many joints would hurt. I don't have it.
At 4 months as I became active the knee on my op side swelled up like a grapefruit and I had to chill out for 6 weeks. Surgeon said it is common to have the knee on op side have problems as it adjusted to the knew movements of the hip.
Then my Achilles on op side strained. Upon examination realized how much it had atrophied over years because of hip problems and it takes a long time to build the Achilles up because it has such low blood flow.
For years before hip surgery, the body slowly reclaims range of motion and those muscles simply shut off and atrophy.Then post hip surgery, those same muscles are jolted into action again and they just hurt and twist and stretch until they strengthen and adjust.
I feel really good now and can play soccer full out now but I had 3-4 months of nagging stuff I never had before.
Scar tissue is only a problem if you don't work at regaining your range of motion in the first couple of months.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

bestbob

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 09:04:03 PM »
I am at 12 weeks today and for past 4 weeks or so I do get knee pain on the op side
THe knee also a bit warm to the touch, and In reading other posts
Knee pain does seem common. The shin pain is getting less and less also.
All in all still pleased and progress is made every week.
RBHR June 18, 2013, Euclid General Ohio, Dr. Brooks

chuckm

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 10:00:10 AM »
Hip resurfacing is traumatic to the hip muscles including the gluteus maximus and tensor facia latae. Those muscles influence the Iliotibial band which is a tough band of tissue on the outside of the thigh that goes from the hip area all the way down past the knee. This IT Band is very important for maintaining knee function and alignment. When those muscles are weak or out of balance, the IT Band they are connected to can cause pain at the knee. You might be fine walking at normal pace but the muscles might tire walking faster and you can get pain.
I used to really concentrate on using the glutes when going up hill on my walks. My goal was to work those muscles. I would stop when the knee hurt, rest a moment (maybe massage the hip area), and then start again forcing those muscles to work again until I felt pain.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »
I think chuck and the others hit it right. The OA has twisted your body into a more efficient configuration to deal with the pain.

That means some muscles were overworked, some underworked or atrophied, some joints were under more pressure and some too lightly worked.

Now that you're back in line structurally, all that time in a different position has affected your body in many ways. This means your body has to work itself back into a normal support for your new and improved structure. If muscles have become atrophied, they have to come back, etc.

I went through strange twitches, pains and jolts. They worked themselves out (if not, check with your surgeon), and in some tiny respects, I still am working them out.

By about a year, though I was feeling like my machine was clicking on most gears and was synchronized. It took a bit, and free use of walking, both home and outpatient physical therapy, hitting the gym, doing balancing, etc.

All of that helps. I also had IT band pain, sometimes balance issues going up stairs, undeterminate limping, a slew of other little nits which passed by. Your body is shocked to find itself healthy, it needs a bit of time, help and patience to get back to fit.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Juno

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 07:19:49 AM »
I agree with the guys :)

I am 9 weeks post op and while my operated hip / knee feels 100x better, my unoperated side (hip/knee) is really giving me issues that I never had before. I agree this has to do with all the muscles, tendons and ligaments trying to adjust to your new gait and stance. Also, now that I am more active, I am feeling tightness in muscles I never had issues with before -- including my back. I have faith that all of this will work itself out in good time and a lot of good (patient) stretching and exercise.
Juno
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

catfan

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 05:13:59 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your insightful comments\experiences as this really helped lift my spirits.  I have not had a chance to discuss the knee pain with my doctor but suspected it had something to do with my body\muscles realigning after the surgery.  I am really fortunate that my recovery has been extremely fast to allow me to function normally (getting around at the house, going to work, coaching soccer, etc...), but I know I have a long way to go before my body has healed to the point I feel fully recovered.  Again thanks for the feedback...

Lauren Lee

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:26:40 PM »
I am just at 12 weeks and my knees hurt off and on too...especially as PT ramped up. My back ached as well. It was all related to the gait and my poor damaged muscles. My muscles are coming back and getting strong and I have a little limp but no longer struggling just to keep it all straight. :) My PT backed off on some of the exercises that might cause a knee injury and I found that it didn't get much worse. Be cautious. At my three month check I asked my doc what I could do to hurt my hip ....he just said, If it hurts, don't do it.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal