+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post-Op follow up  (Read 3232 times)

oldsoccerplayer

Post-Op follow up
« on: September 10, 2013, 04:15:45 PM »
Just got back from my week 6 post-op follow up with Dr. Gross (did it at week 7 due to scheduling constraints). I got a handout with the Phase 2 exercises; included in the handouts were the notes below. I don’t think any of this is new to the surfacehippie community but it’s good to get it reiterated from the care givers themselves. This helps ease the stress of “will I ever be the same again” and “why does it still hurt” that are common threads.

•   You may now bend your hip past 90O. Avoid extreme stretching or bending until 6 months post- op.
•   We encourage a gradually increasing program of light weight exercises gradually increasing to no more than 50 lbs by 6 months post-op. (My note, this is for the leg, there are no limitations on upper body workouts).
•   Moderation: In general, over the first year post-op all exercises and sports attempted should be approached gradually. There should be no sudden increase in activity level. You will be allowed full activity without restrictions after 6 months. Moderation will allow your implant to last longer.
•   Full Healing: It takes up to one year for your hip to fully heal. Expect some soreness, swelling and minor aches and pains during this time. (My italics). At 6 months you have passed the risk period for femoral neck fracture.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

hernanu

Re: Post-Op follow up
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:48:41 AM »
Congrats on the first 'go ahead'. Keep it up, you'll be back on the field in (a moderately paced) no time.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 06:15:35 PM »
This might be too much information, but I find that if I don't dry really thoroughly between my toes then I'm prone to athlete's foot.
One of the hardest things for me to adjust to wasn't just the inconvenience of not being able to do that (as well as more mundane tasks like putting socks on), it was the feeling of helplessness. Things that you've been doing all your life without even noticing them all of a sudden become physically impossible. I'm lucky that my wife's around to help but still the loss of independence for such trivial tasks was hard to deal with. I kept telling myself that this is a temporary condition but there was still that lingering "what if".
The phase 2 exercises are all about building up strength and flexibility on the operated leg so you can get full functionality back and I'm already beginning to reap the benefits, though there's still a way to go.
It seems like there's plenty of material on the physical aspects of recovery but not a lot on what to expect emotionally or mentally. If I'd known ahead of time that this is a normal reaction, which I assume it is, then I think I'd have handled it better.

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »
We have talked about a whole lot of things more "informing" than that.

The loss of independence is a large part of what drives us to this procedure, apart from the pain. It definitely drove me. I got to the point where doing simple things that were either needed or desired were painful, tortuous or plain impossible.

I remember traveling back to Ecuador with my daughters on a trip which should have been joyful, but the smallest things became a chore. To be back there, up in the Andes, hiking in the Amazon or swimming in the pacific while only thinking of making it to the next fifty foot point in front of me robbed me of the ease that should have been.

I was surrounded by cousins, nephews, nieces, all having a good time and wanting me to. My daughters also had the "let's help Dad" look to them, so it was to my viewpoint shaded by my disability. That may have not been the case, since we all had fun anyways, but it sure felt that way to me, and that talks to the emotional aspect of things.

The difference between then and my inability to do some things afterwards was the presence of hope. I had no feeling of hope during my trip, just saw the negatives. Afterwards, when confronted by any situation where there was a challenge, I reminded myself of the strides made, future possibilities.

I know now it doesn't seem near, but I just came from a yoga class where I kept up with everyone else tied up in human knots. It's coming to you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 03:14:57 AM »
Well said hern, think of the past and look to the future when you are down.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Juno

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 06:57:52 AM »
Thanks Hern. Needed to hear that right now. In 2 years this will hopefully all be a blip on the screen and I will be where you are now and giving good, sound advice :)
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 11:59:49 AM »
Thanks everyone.
I didn't mean to sound whiny, if that's how it came across. Overall I'm doing really well, just having the occasional ups and downs. It's during the downs that I tend to look to this community for support. It really helps to hear that others have been through the same experiences and come out on top.
Next week I'm hoping to get back to the gym for some more ambitious work-outs without overdoing it.
I'm looking forward to the day when I'll be able to paint my toenails - not that  I  would - but I'd like to be able to!

Anna

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 07:20:13 AM »
It sounds like you are doing really well. Keep chipping away at those exercises and you will be able to paint those toe nails soon enough!  ;D
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal