+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 10 days post surgery  (Read 2754 times)

diann1460

10 days post surgery
« on: June 09, 2008, 11:44:16 AM »
Hi!  My name is Diann and I just hit day 10 post op.  I have been reading the stories on this site and wanted to share as well.  I am 45 years old, a former marathoner and avid exerciser.  I developed arthritis in my right hip after running New York in 2002 and haven't run since.  YUK!  I got to the point where I couldn't take a short walk with my kids without pain.  Did PT, steroid injections, was told I needed a THR in about 15-20 years.  Did some research into hip resurfacing and went to Baltimore's Sinai Hospital and met with Dr. Mont.  AFter fighting with my insurance company for about 6 months, got the approval and had the surgery done on May 29.  I can honestly say (except for post-op Day 1 which is a complete blur and an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy) this is the best thing I could have done for both my physical and mental health.  Each day I get stronger and can do more.  I am doing my home PT exercises 3-4 times per day, walking with crutches and going up and down the stairs with ease.  I have no arthritis pain at all.  This is truly amazing to me.  The post-op discomfort at this point doesn't even compare to the pre-surgical 24 pain I was in. The decision to have surgery, to disrupt my family life (I have 4 children ages 16-7) and give up my control (my huband has to help with everything) was really difficult.  However, I can already tell my quality of life will me so much better.  thanks for a place to share! 

Clarkefan

Re: 10 days post surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 03:35:29 PM »
Glad things are working out for you. I, too, had my surgery with Dr. Mont a little more than 10 weeks ago, and you will not believe the progress you're going to make over the next several weeks. After you crest the 5-week post-op check-up your independence will come roaring back (able to bend, cross legs, walk up steps normally, etc.). I can put on socks and tie my shoes with greater ease than before surgery.

I now enjoy going to the club to use a variety of cardio machines (within reason), I walked about 10  miles (total) over the weekend, my boxing and kickboxing classes are going well (I teach, but don't do any of the high-impact or major range-of-motion stuff, but can now keep up with the class in most moves). I'd say 70-80 percent of the time I'm completely unaware that I have an artificial hip. I'm even dealing with routine muscle soreness (a nice change of pace).

My hope is to start training again in earnest within the month. I just have to get a bit more strength back (Dr. Mont's maintenance exercises are rather challenging.)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 09:13:46 PM »
Hi Diann

Congratulations on your new hip.  Sounds like your recovery is coming right along.

It takes time to get all your strength and energy back.  With time you won't even think about your new hip.

I hope your recovery continues to go well for you.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

rlm869

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 10:45:57 PM »
congrats to you diann! clarkefan is right, you won't believe the progress you will make. i am at 12 weeks and the first 10 days were the hardest for me; then it seemed like the stiffness really subsided. i was still achy, but it was definitely easier to move around...and NO JOINT PAIN!!! woo hoo, i don't remember the last time i could say that.

(Dr. Mont's maintenance exercises are rather challenging.)

clarkefan...can you give me a little info on these maintenance exercises?
thanks!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:48:40 PM by rlm869 »
rebecca
dr. john evans
3/24/08 rbhr

Clarkefan

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 09:35:16 AM »
For maintenance exercises, I am posting based on memory. But there are three that Dr. Mont recommends every other day (pretty much forever). The objective is to build up to 10 lbs on each leg (which is no easy task). The first is lying on your back, raising your leg about 18 inches, bending your knee slightly and holding it for 5 seconds (10 reps). Then on your side, only not so high, and then on your stomach. Do three sets each on each leg.

It may seem fairly easy (when you read it), but I'm up to about 8 lbs and it is VERY challenging and takes about 20 minutes to complete.

cgraves

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 07:45:03 PM »

Diann,

I am happy for you that your surgery went so well.
It appears that you are progressing.
Do intend to start it run again ?
What is your doctors position on running post surgery ?

My hip resurfacing surgery is 19 days out, from Thursday May 22.
The physical therapist says that my recovery has been very rapid. 
I have been completing the proscribed exercises for PT 3 times
per day.
The last two days though the rate of improvement appears to have slowed
considerably.
On the same side as the new hip there has developed some soft tissue pain in my right buttocks and right knee.
I believe this is due to the new hip and learning how to walk normally.
My body is not used to that.
Due to the extended period of time that I was in pain, with decreasing
mobility and over compensating in order to get through each day.

I posted earlier but failed to identify the doctor who performed my surgery.
Dr. Gargaro 
He is with the HMO Kaizer Permanente Denver Colorado.

diann1460

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 08:29:12 AM »
Glad to here you are doing well, also.  I would love to start running again but I am not sure yet.  My doctor will clear me at the one year mark. I had gotten to the point that I couldn't walk 1/4 mile...so right now I am focusing on that!

diann

Big Bill

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 02:33:28 PM »
Hi ... Had my 1st post op visit yesterday..all is great! I am 12 days post resurfacing and have been given the ok to drive and continue on to the next phase of rehab. Been doing my excercises and walking daily....unassisted today! Time to put on the hat of independence and go to the gym and "play" a little! Be postin' soon  ;D

Big Bill ---C.A.S.H.   8) 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat