+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: When to start biking again  (Read 6027 times)

PaddyG

When to start biking again
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:18:12 AM »
Thursday this week I will have my right hip resurfaced (BHR) by Dr. Hersche at the Schulthess Clinic in Zurich. For some reason he doesn't appear on any of the lists here, but he has performed several hundred procedures. They used to do over a hundred resurfacings a year, but have reduced now, partly because of the bad publicity on metallosis, but will resurface on request or if the patient already has a BHR. They have a pretty good track record from what I can see.
My question, however, is how long till I can get back on my MTB? I mainly do XC single tracks, nothing too technical/dangerous.  I suppose the question is partly moot, since I will be recovering over the Autumn and Winter and biking opportunities will be scarce, but I'm not averse to heading out on a crisp, clear Winter morning with my thermals on  ;D.
What about stationary bikes for rehab purposes, when did you start again?

Two things I will be looking forward to once I have my new hip; getting on and off the bike without having to lie it down (very restrictive on narrow/steep single tracks) and being able to quickly clip out should I run into trouble  :-\. This second point leads me to another question; how did people feel about clipping in/out after their surgery? Did you feel at all nervous about dislocations due to the rotational motion)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:36:59 AM by PaddyG »

oldsoccerplayer

Re: When to start biking again
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 09:47:02 AM »
Good luck with the procedure.
 According to Dr. Gross's handout, you can start on an exercise bike after 6 weeks, the seat should be in a high position so that your hip is not flexed beyond 90 degrees.  It also states that "Regular bikes are fine at 6 months post op. We do not want you on a regular bike before this because your femur is weak and prone to fracture if you fall."
It also depends on your general progress. The above is true if you're on the "Rapid" recovery option which I think is determined by your bone density at the time of the surgery. If you're on the slow option, it says don't ride anything until you no longer need the cane for walking.
Hope this helps.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Gazza2

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 12:09:59 PM »
I started the stationary bike with no resistance in the second week after surgery.  I think it helps to restore the mobility/range of motion in the hip.  I did not get on my bike until ~3-4 months it was not fear of dislocation but fear of falling onto the hip causing a fracture.   Now at 7 months I rarely think about it at all so if you have been comfortable clipping into pedals then in time I think you will be fine getting back to it.
Dr Kim Ottawa LHR Cementless C+ Feb 2013

Anna

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 08:44:36 AM »
Hi Paddy,

I was doing quite a bit of biking, in particular mountain biking on XC single tracks right up to the date of my op. I'm now 6 weeks post op and have been riding my road bike on the turbo trainer at home since 4 weeks. I am however only allowed to do 5-10 mins a day with no resistance and cannot pedal and hold onto the handle bars yet due to my 90 degree restriction. My physio said it will help with my ROM. I pushed it a bit more one day as I desperately wanted to do some sort of exercise and had a pain in my ass cheek for about 2-3 days after!! At 6 weeks however, I am able to get on and off the bike pretty easy by swinging my leg over the back slowly.

I'm going to check with my surgeon tomorrow at my check up but I'm hoping to be riding my bike properly on the trainer and steady rides out on the roads / country lanes at 2-3 months. I have given myself a restriction of at least 6 months (spring time) no matter how good I feel, before I let myself go proper mountain biking on any single tracks. I'm sure I could do it before then but I just don't want to risk falling off, especially with the winter ice. It's a shame as I absolutely love riding in the mud at this time of year!!!

As for clip in pedals, I've replaced mine with flats and will probably stay with them for quite some time. I only ever used clip in's on the road though.

My partner spoke to a guy the other day who was 3 months post op with a THR and was half way through cycling the coast to coast in the UK. ... just to give you a little hope  ;D

Good luck!!

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

fenceman

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 09:05:07 AM »
I did the same as Gazza.  Stationary at 2 weeks and fitness bike at 3-1/2 months on road.  Traded my road bike for a fitness bike for a more upright ride.  Now at 9 months and leg feels great. Only have time to ride 2-3 times a week.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat