+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 week update and x-ray's  (Read 19190 times)

Anna

6 week update and x-ray's
« on: September 21, 2013, 04:24:50 AM »

I cant believe it's been 6 weeks!! I went for my check up yesterday and it seems all is well. I'm off the crutches. I got the 2 hour train down to London, walked around town, got the underground ... all with no crutches!!  :) Walking is going well although my leg is still very weak and I do have muscle pains. I've been in the pool a few times this week and have been on the static bike. I was told by the physio's that I was not allowed to do breast stroke so I have been splashing round the pool like a moron trying not to sink. My surgeon couldn't think of any reason why I couldn't do breast stroke and said go ahead. He didn't know why the physio's told me that. Has anyone else been told no breast stroke?

Anyway, the surgeon seemed happy with his work and my progress. All restrictions have been lifted and I am now allowed to drive.... FREEDOM. I just hope my driving improves as it was painful when I tried the other day. The surgeon tried to lift my knee to my chest and seemed concerned when it wouldn't go past 90 degrees. It hurt when he tried and it feels like all the muscles down the back of my leg are stopping it. He didn't seem very pleased with this but I thought this was normal for a while?? I guess I'm going to have to work on this a lot. Anyway, photos of my shiny new hip to follow ......

I stupidly booked a flight for my return journey home not even thinking about security and all my new metal when I did so. I got to the airport alone and it dawned on me. I was frisked several times by the security woman despite telling her I had a metal hip. She didn't seem very happy. The hand held metal detector was used and my leg was making extreme beeping noises as she ran it over. Ha, it did make me giggle  8) Then I had to take my boots off ... I cant take my boots on or off without assistance so that was slightly awkward. Anyway, ultimately they let me through but it does worry me slightly. I do quite a lot of travelling to weird and wonderful places and it concerns me, especially with a language barrier, how I will get through. I guess I will have to start learning the words "I have a metal hip" in several different languages!!  ;D

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Anna

Re: 6 week update and x-ray's
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 04:27:00 AM »

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 07:49:05 AM »
I had to go through a metal detector for the Dept. of Homeland Security office at about 3 weeks post-op and I also beeped, but they were nice about it and didn't insist that I take my shoes off when I explained why I couldn't reach them.
A few days after the post-op checkup I received a laminated business card from Dr. Gross' office with my x-ray on the back. It's not an official document but is supposed to help getting through airport security etc. Maybe you can get something similar for the places where you have language barriers (bit of a pun there  :) ), the picture can be worth 1000 words.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Anna

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 08:01:01 AM »
That's very good of Dr Gross to do that! :) I cannot see the NHS sorting anything like that out for me but I guess I could probably make one of them myself take travelling :D

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 11:19:17 AM »
Ha like i said to you Anna at least you didn't get strip
Searched! Twice!!!! :)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Mike D

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 04:46:53 PM »
Nice X-Rays, Anna. That's a good looking bit of kit!
It took me a long time, probably over 6 months to get my leg past 90 degrees without pain and it's only within the past 2 weeks that I can get my knee to my nose.
That took over 1 year of steady stretching and exercise so maybe it's the different way the muscle is cut on a THR?
I'll post my X-Rays up from my 1 year check when I get them, I hope they look as good as yours.
Good progress, Anna  8)
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Anna

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 04:17:55 AM »
I cant get my knee past 90 degrees, pain or no pain. Something just says no :( Ah well.

Good luck with your appointment Mike! I will look forward to seeing your x-rays  ;D

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 10:09:50 AM »
Great checkup Anna!

I've never figured out the breaststroke restriction either.  I don't think it will restrict your travel, just maybe make it more interesting.

The flexibility will come, just don't push it too much and the muscles will cooperate over time.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anna

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 10:23:57 AM »
It's hard not to push it Hern. I have to keep telling myself to stop!!!

Reno

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 01:24:50 PM »
Hi Anna-

Fabulous pictures!!!  I am so happy to hear that you are doing so well at the six weeks mark.  Today marks four weeks for me.  The thought of getting to the point of no crutch is inspiring.  You are my model for progress and I am looking forward to the freedom of driving and being on my own, swimming and just moving with more normality. 

I hear what you are saying about the 90 degree limit for your leg.  Hopefully, that will get better and better soon!  Perhaps you can get a colorful card printed that says, "I have a medal hip," in several different languages, to ease your getting through those pesty security stations. 

Looking forward to sharing my progress and keeping abreast of yours!
Reno

HippyDogwood

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 02:54:16 PM »
The breastroke thing is likely to be because it is a more powerful leg action with a greater range of motion than other strokes. It puts far more strain on the hip socket.

I was a competitive swimmer at a decent level many moons ago and that was my main stroke, followed by years of high level water polo where you do alternate leg breastroke to stay above the water. The combination of OA and FAI means I virtually cant do breastroke at all now, but if you saw me rip along front crawl then you would be staggered to know that anything is wrong

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 03:08:31 PM »
Thanks for the info, makes sense.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anna

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 01:43:27 PM »
Hey Reno!!! How are you doing? I'm looking forward to hearing your story. I hope you are feeling better now  ::) I'm glad you like the pictures. I've been looking at x-rays of other peoples replacements for years and find it hard to believe that the x-ray is mine.... and yet, my hip feels pretty normal. People keep asking me if I can feel the implant but obviously I cant!  ;D

Hippydog - Thanks for clearing that up!

Anna

Reno

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 06:39:32 PM »
Hi Anna-

Well by now, Anna, you are eight weeks with your new hip.  Tomorrow I go for my six weeks F/U appointment.  I hope I get pretty pictures too.   :) :)

How are you doing now?  I hope you are feeling much, much better and stronger!!!  I am now down to no support inside my home (until I start feeling very tired... which is still too often), and I have graduated to a cane for outdoors.  Woo Hoo.  I know I have not posted my post-operation story yet.  I have much to say, but have not done it yet...  I saw a Thread regarding depression/emotional issues just the other day, started by you a long time ago.  It was good timing for me to read some of the messages as that has been a huge area of concern for me too.  As a person whose training and work, Ph.D. in clinical psychology, I have marveled at all of the lows (not enough highs) that have come with this hip condition. 

Again, I will say more about that soon.  For now dinner is calling me to the table. 

Talk soon.
Reno.

Anna

Re: 6 week update and x-rays
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 06:39:47 AM »
Hey Reno!! I hope you are well? There will be trouble if you don't get pretty hip pictures as we are all dying to see them!!!  ;D

You sound like you are in a similar place to what I was perhaps? I think I started wandering around the house without a crutch at about 4 1/2 - 5 weeks maybe and lost the crutch completely at 6 weeks. There's no rush though and although it's frustrating, as long as you can see progress then you are heading in the right direction. The hardest part for me was having the courage to leave the house without the stick / crutch. I used to take a fold up stick in my bag just incase ... but as it turned out, I never needed it! :)

I am now at 8 1/2 weeks post op! Woo hoo. I have been for 2 bike rides outdoors. The first I managed about 1.5 miles and the second 6.5 miles. They were only very slow flat miles but it was sooo nice to be back on the bike outside. I couldn't stop grinning. I felt like I could go further too but I didn't want to push it. I can also walk approximately 3-4 miles now comfortably and unaided before my leg starts to feel tired. I still have a limp (nothing like I was pre op) and my muscles do feel very weak but my main problem is my ROM. Its horrendous. I can barely get to 90 degrees, never mind past it.  I'm happy with my progress though and feel like I am doing well.

I am currently spending 2 weeks at my work convalescent home / treatment centre which basically involves one on one physio and hydrotherapy sessions everyday. I also have access to a pool, spa, gym, classes etc. The place is amazing and I'm so fortunate to be here. The physio's are fantastic although I spent yesterday, my first day having my bum massaged .... it HURT!!! He said my muscles are very tight. He also said that I am not using my muscles on my THR side as I should be and am relying on my hamstring instead. We are working on this. Everyone is here for different reasons and a lot of people have minor injuries or stress related problems so when I did a stretch class yesterday everyone could do it but me. I felt a bit of a fool being the youngest person in the class and did get a bit depressed after (the usual why me, it's not fair, I'm only 30 routine) but today is a new day and I'm going to start again.

I have been through some sad and depressing times over the past few years as I'm sure most hippy's have. It's a difficult thing to go through, especially for people who are very active. I would like to think that I am a very upbeat person and I would also say that I can be quite tough when the need arises and try to soldier on but I have struggled at times. I had a massive struggle with the NHS last year to try get the operation and unfortunately that was the same time that my pain was at its worst which was not so great for my moral. The thing is, life is not perfect and you have to experience the lows to appreciate the highs. Our hips are rubbish but there are worse things that could happen. It's just sometimes hard to remember, see or even believe that. It's a hard road but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I know I will have to live with hip issues for the rest of my life and at some point soon will need my other hip doing but when I look back at how much pain I was in last year, I cannot complain. These operations really are miracles. I feel so much better now and I'm still early on in my recovery. I still have low times and always will but we have to pick ourselves up. Anyone on this site will be here for you to help with physical and emotional issues. There is always someone who has been through what you are going through! If you are on facebook, there is also a really good group on there called young THR, you should check it out. It's very supportive.

Keep smiling Reno and try to stay positive. Update us soon please

Anna  ;)

Anna

3 months - time flys when you are having fun!!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 01:58:59 PM »

Hey fellow hippies. Just checking in. I am 3 months post THR today. I have been busy.

I can honestly say that I have not felt so good in years!! I just cant get used to living a life without pain.

- I sleep. I mean SLEEEEEEP. No waking up at 3am having to top up on pain killers, no tossing and turning. I just sleep. Like a 'normal' person.
 - I walk. I walk everywhere. I actually enjoy walking! No more taxi's home, no more having to explain to people why I cant walk. No strangers asking me if I need help or an ambulance. No sticks or crutches. No trying to park the car as close to the shops as possible, I can park where I like..... I went on a 7 mile hike in the moors the other day on pretty rough ground with one fairly steep incline. I loved it!  8)
 - I am back cycling. I can do about 20 miles at present and building it up slowly. I did 15 miles mountain biking on easy single tracks yesterday and a road ride today. I can also swim and I can go to the gym and work up a sweat. I am now working hard to try lose all the weight I have gained post surgery.
 - I have no limp. It's gone. My friends cannot believe how well I am walking. Apparently you can only tell slightly if you really watch and look out for anything.
 - I can put my socks on!!!!!!!! I am still straining and its not so easy but I can do it now. I can get past 90 degrees.

Ok, so I still have a fair way to go. My ROM is improving by the day but its still poor. My psoas is sometimes sore and a bit weak and I still get some pain down my thigh when climbing up stairs or squatting. I also sometimes get slight swelling if I do too much and my lower back is in bits trying to get used to my new gait..... but WOW, I'm happy.  I now just have to look after myself and make sure I don't over do it or damage my new hip. I'm counting down the months now till I can go skiing (my surgeon says at the 6 month mark). I know I will be a lot more careful than I was pre surgery and will probably stick to easy runs for a while but I will be so happy just to be back in the mountains. I feel so good that I feel I could ski now but I'm going to be good and not do anything till I get the ok in February.

Does anyone know any good exercises to help strengthen my psoas or is it better to rest it??

Anyway, I just wanted to share my progress. A THR is not the end of your life, it's just the beginning :) I hope I continue to progress and I hope my implant lasts forever.

Can't stop smiling, Anna  ;D

Mike D

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 03:06:21 PM »
Nice to hear Anna-you're flying now. You waited a long time for this and had some bad times leading up to the surgery but you're making up for it now.
I hope anyone who can't have HR reads of your progress and realises that THR can also give you a fully active life back.
Those pains you mention when climbing stairs should disappear altogether soon as you continue to strengthen those weaker muscles-keep it up Anna, it's great to read.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Anna

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 04:19:28 PM »
Thanks Mike. Its all just fine tuning now and continuing with the physio I guess!  ;D

Reno

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 05:26:27 PM »
Hi Can't Stop Smiling Anna!

HURRAY for you and Happy 3 month mark!!!!!!  I am soooo "chuffed" to hear your news.  And, I can see you now, walking and running all over the place. 

You continue to be my role model, to whom I aspire...  Although, at 10 weeks and 4 days, I am still moving in the slow lane. But I did stay in step with my girlfriends last week in Atlanta, as we shopped, shopped, shopped (I did sit down a few times). 

And, Mike D, how's it going at the 1 year mark?  I am quite happy for you and your progress.  In about 9 months I hope to be where you are in my healing.

Take care and enjoy the remaining Fall days, which are absolutely beautiful here in the MidWest.

lgbran

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 06:41:36 PM »
Hello Anna,
You are an inspiration to me and many others here.You have the ability to convey so much positivity in your words. It's infectious .

Great to see you kicking goals BIGTIME. I just read your latest post to my wife. I can relate on so, so many levels. Just glancing at the clock I'm 48 hours away from my surgery RBHR and your post in just the tonic I need. It's bitterly cold, windy and wet here in Ocean Grove ,Australia. I am just about to go for a short ride to keep the legs and mind active. Keep on doing the right things and great to hear you are living life to the fullest. Big hugs and high fives :)
Cheers
Len
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat