+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 12 weeks - still pain?  (Read 2336 times)

catfan

12 weeks - still pain?
« on: September 23, 2013, 08:28:43 PM »
I am exactly 12 weeks tomorrow since my BHR and I am still having what I would consider severe pain in my new hip, and in addition both my knees are sore a lot.  I see my doctor next week, and hoping he can advise.  The only thing that makes since to me is that my structural bone alignment is off since the surgery that is causing me issues... But I would have thought the pain would not be this bad at 12 weeks.  I did not take any medicine from 2ND week 'post op' until 10Th week 'post op', but I am having to take medicine just to get by due to the pain now?  I have a real hard time being on my feet for any extended period of time, and if I am my legs feel terrible all the way from my hips to ankles.     I am really starting to worry the surgery made things worse not better...

Juno

Re: 12 weeks - still pain?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:13:12 PM »
Caftan, I am sorry to hear you are having such issues at this point. Have you spoken to your surgeon? May I ask who did your surgery? I would definitely call your surgeon and discuss with him/her.  I am just about 11 weeks post op and have no pain. I am able to walk well, take spin classes, use the elliptical and I even just started taking basic yoga classes again. It seems to me you should no longer have pain.

I wish you good luck. Please keep us posted on how things turn out.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:30:56 AM »
My best wishes for you too. Please let us know how things work out. This site has a lot of success stories but I think it's also important to hear from those who are struggling.
Hope things turn out to be less serious than they seem.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

catfan

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 02:19:10 PM »
Dr. Heilig in Lexington, Ky performed the surgery...

Actually I was recovering really fast and was able to ride stationary bike 1-2 hrs a day, coach soccer, go back to work within 1 week, and within a few weeks after surgery leading a normal life, albeit with a limp and some moderate pain.  3-4 weeks back my knees starting hurting, and the pain in my new hip started getting worse.  Then last week I did something (?) as my new hip has been really bad this past week.  I am a bit worried I may have gotten back to a normal life too early, and should not have coached soccer, exercised on the bike so much, and been on my feet as much as I have.

I have made a commitment to my wife to only be on my feet when necessary until I go see my doctor next week (which includes no biking). The pain in my hip feels like nerve issue and when I take medicine it really helps a lot, but I do not like to take medicine.

For those that have had issues what is the most common issue (bone, muscle, nerve, ???).  I just want so badly to lead a norm life (even ready to give up my hopes of being able to run again as long as I can function normally without pain).  Is having to take medicine for pain at 12 weeks normal?

Juno

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 03:59:54 PM »
I think it's hard because what is "normal" for one person is not "normal" for another. Recovery is different for each of us. I have not taken a narcotic pain med since day 7 and have only occasionally taken Tylenol or a Mobic if I've had "muscle twinges". If I've learned anything from this website (thanks Pat!) and from my own 11 week experience, it is to only do what feels good and if it hurts that is your body telling you to take a break.

There would have been no way I could have been on a stationary bike for 1-2 hours 1 weeks post op. (Shoot, I am now only doing a 45 minute spin class!). I was in a recliner just happy I could walk down the driveway on my crutches. So, it is possible that you have been trying to do to much and have not allowed your body sufficient healing time. All of the muscles and nerve endings that were cut need time to heal ---this will take up to 6 months.

At my 6 weeks appointment I was told by my doctor, "if I opened you back up today to look at the hip, your hip socket would be red, bloody and still inflamed and in the early stages of healing". Basically what he was saying was be kind and gentle with yourself. Don't walk the extra 1/2 mile just because you think you can -- if you have pain, then just stop and rest. Even now I still occasionally ice my hip to help reduce inflammation or muscle soreness.

Definitely rest, ice up, eat well and take care of your body. If it were me, I would be on the phone calling the doctor's office to try to get seen before next week. I would want reassurance that the device was positioned correctly and /or my femoral head was ok.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:01:45 PM by Juno »
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Lauren Lee

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 11:00:46 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about your setback...and that is probably what it is. We all have them but I would definitely be on the phone with your doc. Your early schedule would have killed me...I tried to run the race like a rabbit but I am running it like a turtle. (Surgery was June 17). I'm not a doc but it could be nerve pain. One of my nurses in the hospital was trying to discourage me from doing too much too soon and she told me about a body builder who was determined to get back to normal (for him) asap. Unfortunately, what he did was inflame all of the nerves that were trying to heal. He wound up in the ER. Eventually he was fine but it took awhile. Take it easy until you know everything is okay. At my 12 week check my doc said "If it hurts, don't do it". Hope you feel better soon.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 11:46:38 PM »
Sorry you're going through this. The best thing is probably to scale things back the way you are, talk to your surgeon.

Clear up whether there's some issue with the implant itself. Most likely and hopefully there's not, but you need to clear your mind about it, and then find out the actual problem.

We all pushed things at different times and had setbacks. If this is a new issue (since it started about three weeks ago), then you may be paying for pushing things a bit.

Ice the area, there are many things it could be, but you want to get the scariest one out of the way first. Once you see that's ok, then take it easy and let your hip heal at a good long term clip.

Doesn't mean you stop doing things, but maybe downshift a bit until the six months go by.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

tennisgirl

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 07:41:47 PM »
Hey Catfan,

I am one of the slower recovery people on this forum.  I was doing extremely well until around 8-10 weeks, and then was in horrific pain for about a month.  I started exercising on an elliptical (not aggressively) and then backed down to a treadmill, but felt awful and even ended up in the ER due to pain.  I have issues taking pain meds and it took awhile to find one that helped me.
I had multiple x-rays, consults with my surgeon and even a MRI.  No one could tell me why I was hurting so much.  My implant was fine.  I even went through a bout of depression due to pain.
I am approaching the two year mark, and things did eventually improve.  I had to be on pain meds for about six months and also depression meds.  I've been off everything for about a year.
I would just recommend getting with your surgeon, and getting second opinions if necessary.  Reach out for mental health help if the pain is dragging you down.  I've also been doing PT to try and resolve soft tissue issues.
It can be discouraging to read about folks that have easy, quick recoveries.  I was sure I'd be one of those people and it just hasn't happened.
Fortunately I am able to be active.  It's just been a long road.
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

catfan

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 08:12:22 PM »
Saw my doctor today who indicated after reviewing new x-rays that everything looks good (including my knees).  I simply have some inflammation that was caused by heavy activity over the last 2 weeks.  My doctor told me I was 'expecting to much' after just 12 weeks and that I need to remember my recovery is going to take some time so be patient.  Although I still have pain in my hip it has decreased over the past 3-4 days, and I am now taking inflammation medicine which I had not been taking.  I need to try hard to realize it is going to stay TIME before I am fully healed I just want to be able to take long walks without any pain.

I appreciate everyones input...

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat