+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Thanks for all the info, one week to go  (Read 3992 times)

BAM

Thanks for all the info, one week to go
« on: September 24, 2013, 04:20:52 PM »
I just want to say thanks to everyone on this forum for the information I've gained by lurking these last few months while planning and scheduling surgery.  First resurface is next week with Dr. Gross and other than dreading the 4500 mile trip home, I'm looking forward to recovery.  I'm sure I'll be leaning on the forum during that process, too! 

Having made it to 50 as a competitive runner (marathons and mountain racing), horseman (eventing, ranching, backcountry packing), avid hiker and hunter, and commercial fisherman, I have far outlived the odds I was given at birth with severe bi-lateral dysplasia.  But the pain and reduced ROM finally forced me into looking at my options.  During numerous hours of research I found resurfacing and I have hope it will give me my life back. 

Thanks again. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:10:57 PM by BAM »

oldsoccerplayer

Re: Thanks for all the info, one week to go
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 06:22:28 PM »
Are you doing a Replacement or Resurfacing? I ask because usually THR = Total Hip Replacement and it's relatively easy to find surgeons who do that. Resurfacing is less common and Dr. Gross is one of the most experienced.
Where are you coming from that's so far away? My commute to Columbia SC was about 1.5 hours drive.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 11:51:07 PM »
Hey, welcome to the site, BAM.  Glad you found good information and congrats on doing this with Dr. Gross. Like oldsoccerplayer asked, is this a THR or an HR?

Either way, congrats and welcome again.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

BAM

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 02:16:50 AM »
Oops, wasn't clear there.  Resurfacing rather than replacement. I'm coming from Alaska and it's been a long journey in more ways than one. Thanks for your patience.

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 05:49:03 AM »
Well at least you won't have any problems icing the affected area after you get back home  :)
How long are you planning on staying in Columbia? The hotels Dr. Gross recommends are right next to the hospital.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

BAM

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 03:09:59 PM »
Sorry all, I corrected my original post to clarify I'm going the resurface route, not replacement. 

Staying just a few days post-op to make sure I'm good to travel that far. 

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 03:11:30 PM by BAM »

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 09:37:15 AM »
That's a good plan.

Do you have someone traveling with you to help out? Also, you can let the airline know, so a seat with more room in front of you can be arranged.

BAM

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 08:23:46 PM »
Thanks again to all.  I'm in Columbia, built in a couple travel days to soak up some sun and Civil/Revolutionary War history as well as learn my way around.  It's been worth it.  I do have someone traveling with me, and, thanks to a lot of business travel, first class all the way home.  That should ease some of the pain....I hope. 

I'm ready to be done with pain and trade it for recovery pain.  Plus 75 and sun beats the 48 and partly cloudy at home today :)

gfunk309

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 02:16:57 PM »
What day is your surgery?  I'm in on Monday Oct 7. with Gross.  Heading down to SC on Sunday from NC.
LHR Biomet Uncemented Gross, 10/7/2013

BAM

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 07:59:24 PM »
gfunk309 -  surgery was today.  I highly recommend the class the hospital puts on for info about what to expect, both at the hospital and tips for when you go home. 

Dr. Gross says the surgery went better than expected, but due to excessive damage the second hip will have to be pushed out to 6 months, instead of the 3 we had planned on. 

I was fully awake in 2-1/2 hours, no nausea, no issues.  The block was worn off in less than 4 hours (but I have a very high metabolism.)  Minimal pain meds so far and haven't taken a nap yet.  Did the 'walker shuffle' up and down the hallway, kept a little food down and have been drinking a TON of water with a few drops of lemon oil. 

So far, I'm pleased.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.  Thanks again to all of you! 

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 09:49:05 AM »
Well, congrats and welcome to the other side. Other folks who have travelled by plane can fill you in on their experiences, but first class sounds like a good situation.

I found that getting up and stretching the legs a bit (including the shiny new hip) was critical to being more comfortable in longer trips. That actually lasted a while (until about three or four months).

It's still a habit with me now. I found that the old bullrush to a destination is no longer appealing once I was forcibly made to smell the roses (or the rest stops) along the way.

Is the longer wait so the hip can recuperate longer and be strong enough for the second?

BAM

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 12:37:51 PM »
@hernanu -- yes, the 6 month wait is to let the first one heal almost completely.  They are both bad so I expected a long recovery. 

24 hours post op, no pain meds for 8 hours, showered, crutched around the floor, minimal pain, little swelling in the leg. And the pain is muscle and surgery related, not joint pain.  I'll take that.

I fly a ton for business, around 80k miles a year, in everything from wide body jets to 4 seat Bush planes, so I'm used to getting up as much as possible on the long flights. 

Keeping fingers crossed recovery continues well. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear