+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Day 7 post-op and all is well  (Read 4383 times)

PaddyG

Day 7 post-op and all is well
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:22:30 PM »
Just thought I'd share my resurfacing story with everyone here. I was diagnosed with bilateral FAI at the grand old age of 29 back in '97 and had a right hip debridement procedure in Spring '98. All went well, but had to drop my rugby. In recent years the discomfort in my right hip has increased, with difficulty pulling on socks, putting on shoes, inability to get on a bike properly, pain after 40 mins walking etc; the same old story I'm sure you all recognise. I was finding it difficult to locate a surgeon in Switzerland, but eventually found the Schulthess clinic in Zürich, in particular Dr. Othmar Hersche, who has performed several hundred procedures over the years, but had cut back considerably in recent years, mostly due to the bad publicity with regards to metallosis.
Everything was sorted and I went in for my surgery Thursday last week; a McMinn BHR 62mm cup, 56 mm head. I have to say the recovery since then has been nothing short of exceptional; I was up on crutches the next day and taking regular strolls down the corridor from the Saturday onwards. The pain has been the absolute minimum, requiring no IV analgesia and a single paracetemol at each meal. Even then I said I didn't need them by Saturday evening. The wound is pretty extensive, but clean and dry. By Sunday I could pretty much get around my hospital room using a single crutch.
I came home Monday and am motoring along like no-one's business. I get the occasional cramp in the inner thigh, but nothing else of note. I do have a pretty impressive bruise though, extending into the groin and down to the knee and upper calve. I can already flex my hip more than before the surgery.
I have a follow-up in 5 weeks, and I'll keep you all posted on my progress.
Cheers,
Paddy
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:24:41 PM by PaddyG »

hernanu

Re: Day 7 post-op and all is well
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:07:15 AM »
Good stuff, Paddy. Sounds like things are going well, keep the good work up. Cramps and bruises are part of the early going.

Make sure you ice and motor. Take care to make sure you have a good gait before you get off the crutches. There's no rush, you don't want to develop habits you'll need to unlearn.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

maxx6789

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 12:24:18 PM »
paddyg, great to hear!! you seem well on your way. for me and most, the first few days are the worst. just a tip: enjoy the recovery process and try to not push too far, too fast!!

can you put on your socks by yourself, yet? that was one of my happiest recovery moments!!
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 04:55:03 PM »
My leg turned all colours of the rainbow all the way down to my ankle after the op but cleared up over time. It was about 7 weeks before I could put my own socks on which was frustrating and there were times when I wondered if I'd ever be able to do it again. Be patient.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

PaddyG68

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 01:59:07 PM »
Now 3 weeks post-op and I dispensed with my crutches today, but will take one if I venture outside. Drove today for the first time since the op and, for the first time in years, finally pulled on a sock without contorting my leg into some bizarre yoga position.
I do have a couple of concerns though; I can bring my leg up to the permitted 90 degrees, but still wonder if it will ever get any more than that (it's still better than before the op). I also get the occasional mild "clunking" sensation in the hip, nothing audible or dramatic, but it's still there. Is this normal? Will it tak some time for the joint to "settle" into it's regular orientation?
Another 3 weeks till my follow up (and till I start back at work, gotta love Swiss doctors  ;D). Atleast I'm making good use of my time by collecting PS3 trophies  ;).
TTFN
Paddy

Edit; oops, seems I have 2 logins for some reason. It's still me from the OP.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:03:27 PM by PaddyG68 »

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 06:10:57 PM »
>> I can bring my leg up to the permitted 90 degrees, but still wonder if it will ever get any more than that

That's how I felt about my leg for several weeks, I don't  think you should worry about it for a while. I'm finding that having started the Phase 2 exercises after my post-op follow up the flexibility in my leg and hip is improving dramatically.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 05:48:03 PM »
Clunking is pretty normal, especially as early as three weeks. If you search for clunking you'll find many people including myself had it for a while.

I had it for about a year with decreasing frequency. I don't have it any more, I think.

In my mind, it's tied to the weakness of the smaller supporting muscles. As they get stronger, they hold on to the whole assembly better and the clunking diminishes.

PaddyG

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 08:00:32 PM »
About time for another update I suppose.  ;)
It's hard to believe I had major orthopaedic hip surgery just 4 weeks ago (to the day). I'm walking freely without crutches, but still with an obvious limp; it's worse if I've been sitting upright for any length of time. I do get a pain in my buttock after walking for a bit, but it's just the old gluteus maximus complaining about being used after a nice rest. I can just about put my own shoes and socks on, and driving is no problem at all. The clunking seems to have diminished quite considerably, I really only experience it if I stand upright and push my pelvis forward then relax. We fly to the UK tomorrow to see family and friends and I'll take one stick with me to negotiate those interminable walks through the airport. It will be interesting driving a manual when we're over there, even though it's my right hip which was operated.
I'm still injecting heparin, but will drop it once I'm completely crutch free.
All in all, a very happy hippy  ;D

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 10:41:57 PM »
Congrats Paddy - remember to ice as much as you can, it still will help sitting for long stretches.

Don't be shy about rests while walking, you are still early in your recuperation.

PaddyG

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 11:02:04 AM »
6.5 weeks post-op and an update is overdue...

Had my 6-week follow-up on Friday and I saw the assistant surgeon. X-rays looked good and he showed me the comparison to the pre-op picture; my right hip really was a mess. He was pleased with my gait and mobility, even though the latter is not anywhere near 100%, but already is better than pre-op. I asked about skiing, he strongly suggested I avoid it this year. MTBing would be fine, but nothing too technical or steep (which I don't do anyway). He also said a cycling machine would be good to build strength and mobility and prescribed 9 sessions of PT, which I have arranged with a clinic close to my office.
Overall, I am more than pleased with my new hip; I have been off sticks completely for a couple of weeks and have not required pain relief since day 2 post-op and I'm finally off daily heparin jabs. It's a little stiff after sitting for a while, but several people have remarked on my lack of limp and someone even said I looked taller because I no longer lean to the damaged side.
I also asked about my left hip, but he suggested I wait till it becomes a more pressing problem.

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 12:26:33 PM »
That's great, Paddy - nice progress.

PaddyG

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 09:01:40 AM »
Is it really just 2 months since my surgery?
Things are going well and the hip feels really good; now walking completely limp-free and with no more buttock pain, but still a little morning stiffness (not that kind of stiffness ;D), and after sitting for a period of time. I started physio 2 weeks ago and she has basically been doing some manipulation work to get the mobility back; internal/external rotation, flexion etc, as well as some strengthening and stability exercises. I've also been back to the gym, just 20 mins on the cycling machine on low resistance followed by the exercises suggested by the physio. I will gradually increase the intensity over the next few weeks and I really need a shed some kgs  >:(.
Follow-up with my surgeon in a month
Toodaloo,
Paddy

Granton

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 09:54:21 AM »
Interesting. Thanks for update.

My recovery feels very like yours. My new left hip is six weeks old today. Like you I have had absolutely minimal pain (apart from when I did something to my back) and can walk fast.mhardly has any painkillers after the first three days, no icing, no swelling...

My physio today said that I was doing all the extra exercises she gave me really well and I was beyond physiotherapy until after I get the go ahead to do more strenuous exercise and have 90 degree rule lifted. That should happen when I see Mr McMinn in eight days time.

I am allowed to drive as of today, but haven't needed to so far.

I know that fate has a habit of biting your bum if you are too pleased with yourself, but so far it all seems too easy. I cannot believe that a surgeon can do so much work on you and leave so little damage.
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

PaddyG

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 10:28:21 AM »
One thing I failed to mention; I noticed that I'm actually pedalling properly on the bike now. My right knee is no longer splayed out like it was before the surgery. Hopefully this will ease my cycling knee problems once I get back out on the trails.

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »
Great news, Paddy (and Granton too), it is really good to feel the normalcy coming back to your life.

PaddyG

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 05:07:12 AM »
Had my 3 month follow up yesterday, again with the assistant surgeon. Mobility is good, but, when asked,  he said it was unlikely I would be able to bring my knee to my chest, but a 100-degree flexion angle would be an achievable goal. I've finished my PT and he said unless I think I really need to go back, it shouldn't be necessary as long as I keep up with the suggested exercises. I'm now not due for a follow-up until 2 years post-op, which is when they will perform blood tests for metallosis, unless I get symptoms beforehand.
Walked 7.5 km on Sunday to collect my car after an Xmas party (my head hurt more than my hip); no problem at all, but it was a little stiff on Monday. Been trying to get to the gym regularly, 20 mins bike, 20 mins eliptical followed by stability and RoM excercises. Feels great, walking properly (and quicker), shoes and socks no problem and have even had to run for a bus a couple of times  ;D. Decided to give skiing a miss this year, and have not been on the MTB yet (icy patches and hip operations are not happy bedfellows methinks), but looking forward to the Spring  8).

hernanu

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 12:16:14 PM »
Great report, Paddy. Looks good and nice to be in a good groove.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat