+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help! I can't sleep!  (Read 5902 times)

kathyb83

Help! I can't sleep!
« on: September 26, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »
Hi.  I am 5 weeks post op and  I am having a very difficult time sleeping.  I can't relax, can't get comfortable, toss and turn until the early hours of the morning.  When i finally am able to get to sleep I sleep for a few hours and then wake up.  This is causing other issues such as depression as I try to deal with my constant state of exhaustion as well as feelings of isolation.  Exercise during the day or drugs don't seem to offer any help.  Any ideas to help me get into a more normal/regular sleep pattern?

hernanu

Re: Help! I can't sleep!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:15:52 AM »
Hi Kathy, sleep is rough early on. I couldn't sleep well for a while.

I tried to make up for it by napping at a regular time (1 pm), so it helped me make up for the lost sleep. I was getting about three or four hours early on.

Actually, that was a great improvement on my pre surgery sleeping, but it's not enough. The nap seemed to help since I didn't "expect" to be sleeping. If I just dozed, I still relaxed. Eventually, that seemed to carry over to my regular sleeping.

We all felt isolated after the surgery, at about your time. One of the things a lot of us deal with is the sense of isolation and depression. It doesn't seem to last long, but it is there. I had it the first time, so was ready for it the second time around. I knew it would be there, but also knew it would go.

One thing that helped was just getting in touch with people. Some will disappoint you, others will surprise you. Hang out with the surprises.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

fenceman

Re: Help! I can't sleep!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 10:25:47 AM »
Kathy, Like many of us here, sleep was definitely a problem.  I had problems with the pain prescriptions keeping me from sleeping and found Tylenol PM helped me the best.  I got into a pattern of a couple of hours in bed.  If I woke up or couldn't sleep I would move to the recliner.  I would read or watch a little TV until I dozed off.  That usually didn't last too long so then I would try the couch.  If it wasn't morning yet I would start the cycle over again, bed, recliner and couch. 

The good news is that your sleep time will get better as you hip and leg heal.  I was able to sleep longer when I could roll over on my side with a pillow between my legs. 
Good luck,
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz