+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How do I strengthen the operated leg and get off these crutches.  (Read 4548 times)

Jaks111

Hello everyone,
I'm doing my normal exercises, it's raining my plan was to start walking, To get off these crutches or at least 1, also when I go down to 1 crutch which side do I use it on, I was not told at the hospital.
Ps I was thinking of joining a gym and get some advice on leg excercises.
Thanks jacki

Granton

Re: How do I strengthen the operated leg and get off these crutches.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 06:03:56 AM »
I would ring the hospital physiotherapists and check.

David
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Juno

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 06:45:20 AM »
Jacki -- remind me how many weeks post op you are?

I was able to go to one crutch by day 10 or so. You would use the crutch on the unoperated side. As you walk forward with your operated leg move the crutch with that leg for support. If you are unsure you should call your doctors office. I didn't have a physical therapist (dr. Gross doesn't recommend PT). Just take your time and go for it. You will build strength just by transitioning on one crutch and then before you know it you will be able o be steady with a cane and then on your own. It took me about 6 weeks to feel comfortable enough with my balance and gait to walk (slowly)unassisted.

I wouldn't force any leg exercises that are no recommended by your doctor. Too much, too fast will not strength your leg muscles....in fact it may cause you to be down longer. I am a RN and a personal trainer (so I am not saying this lightly).....I wouldn't  trust any trainer at a gym to give me advice on what I could or couldn't do during recovery from a hip resurfacing.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Marco Polo

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 07:03:48 AM »
Juno is correct on how to use one crutch - you use it on the non-operated side.  I found it helpful after the first week to use a crutch and a walking pole (on the operated side) for stability.

When did you have surgery? Doctors are not all the same in terms of how long they recommend you use 2 crutches, so I would check with your doctor.  Pat's website has strengthening exercises but again you should see what your doctor recommends.
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

Jaks111

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 08:47:52 AM »
Thank you I had my surgery on the 11 th September, but I had a low blood pressure problem which kept me in hospital for longer,I could not walk I kept passing out, therefore I was Not walking had to stay in bed,  I was discharged on the 21st September, I have just been for a 10 minute walk and hope to do that twice a day as well as around the house.
Ps I'm getting around the kitchen work tops unaided but can't seem to put much pressure on it.
Jacki

mike1966

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 10:46:37 AM »
Hi Jacki,

Some of the best advice I read early on were posts from Pat advising people not to hurry off their walking aids. I used two crutches for almost four weeks, then one crutch for two and then a cane. The McMinn centre have posted great excercise videos on YouTube, i think there are links on this site and i got great benefit from them. I tried to go back to the gym early and found more initial benefit in the pool. I witnessed a colleague at work rush off walking aids after a THR and she has been plagued with problems. Building a strong steady recovery has great benefit in the long term

All the best

Mike
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 10:48:37 AM by mike1966 »
LBHR 2nd April 2012 Dr Van Winden

luann again

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 12:10:39 PM »
Jacki,
Don't be too impatient! Other than the PT exercises they gave me, walking short distances (on crutches, later with a cane) and, with permission, riding an incumbent stationary bike, I didn't do anything else. I just let it slowly heal, and counted on everyday movement to strengthen it. Don't know how long you have been out of surgery, but I was on crutches for 6 weeks. Everyone is different. It's not important how fast you get off crutches, but how well it heals!!
If it's time, according to the Dr, ask for some extra exercises.  You leg will let you know!
Good luck, Lu.
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Jaks111

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 01:06:21 PM »
Thank you to the above posters, I have had 2 short walks today which I think will do me good, yes I am impatient  :'(. I'm missing the normal things  driving going out, I'm usually  so active will get there everyday will get better, gosh this is the hard bit

Off to read a magazine which I don't normally do
Thank you

whyme

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 02:29:17 PM »
I think you soon will be doing more and longer walks per day.
Moving from 2 to 1 crutch will be a natural step. The second crutch eventually becomes a nuisance for certain things (opening a door, grabbing something...) and soon after you'll just use both when you go outside, then eventually put it away completely.
It's key to focus on the proper gait (1-2, 1-2, ...), try to not lean over the non operated side, get used to look ahead again rather than down to your feet, and do not rush to discard walking aids or to walk faster.
I'm just 1 month post op today and still using 1 crutch, although I can manage without it inside the house. It wasn't premeditated, just happened naturally.
I never walked with pain, at most felt some stiffness (at the start or towards the end of a session) and soreness in some muscles.
I'm sure they gave you some strict rules about DON'Ts for the first 6 weeks or so (no hip flexion more than 90 degrees, do not cross over legs, things like that), it's key not to break those rules. And guidelines about when to start some light, no impact sporting activity, and when impact activities can be resumed.

Regarding exercises, every surgeon will have their own view. I'm just doing the exercises the physio showed me during the week post operation, the physio was sent by my doctor. You need to ask you surgeon.
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

AlanN

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 08:32:43 AM »
Simplest thing I can say Jaks is do as you're told by your doctor.
Also your body will tell you when it's time for the "next level"!
Once you start improving, it tends to happen in stages and the improvement accelerates over time. Remember how the deterioration gathered pace? Same deal in the other direction!
Good luck, have patience and listen to your doctors and your body  8)
Alan
Motor Racing nut now with LHBHR ;)

Rosie90

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 11:12:54 AM »
It was good to read all of those messages.  I had my left leg done on Sept. 16.  From what I remembered of my last surgery in 2009 (which might well be incorrect) it seemed to my that I was walking unaided after about a month.  This time I was determined to be more patient.  So I used a walker for about 3 weeks.  Now, about a month after surgery, I'm using a cane.  I've recently started "hydrotherapy".  As it's so easy to move in water, I did a 45 min. workout without a problem.  Unfortunately the next day I was sooooooo stiff, it hurt to move.  So, I need to slow down.  It's hard.
Caroline, Hamilton, ON
rt hip, Dr. Avram, 2009
left hip, Dr. Young, 2013

Jaks111

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »
Thank you I'm using 1 crutch in the house but  both on my walks since my op on 11 th September I can put weight on the leg standing but I can't seem to take that first step with out a crutch is it me am I being nervous and scarred or is it just to early.
I'm doing 2 x1 hour walks everyday to strengthen the leg.
Jackie.

chuckm

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 02:38:03 AM »
Jackie, use two crutches to walk. The crutches only support you when you put weight on the operated side. The good leg should stride unaided. Try to walk this way and increase the amount of weight you are putting on you op leg versus on the crutches. Take tiny steps if you need to.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Jaks111

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 12:50:23 PM »
Thanks chuckm
I have shuffled/tiny steps just along work surface in the kitchen today unaided is that ok?

Granton

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »
Hi Jacki

What Chuckm said about two crutches only supporting the operated leg is not what I have just been taught to do. I have been taught to use each crutch to support the opposite leg.

Maybe our situations are different though and you need a different technique.

If you do not feel you are progressing correctly, I don't understand why you don't ask your surgeon or the physios who work with him.

A better bet than taking advice here, IMHO.

David
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat