+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: labs in southern Ontario that test for cobalt and chromium  (Read 1693 times)

Rosie90

labs in southern Ontario that test for cobalt and chromium
« on: October 09, 2013, 04:26:35 PM »
Hi,  I live in a city that doesn't have any surgeons to do resurfacing and also doesn't have any labs that test for metals.  I know that there aren't many members from southern Ontario, but if anyone could recommend a laboratory in S. Ont.  that performs this test, please let me know.  Thank you.

Brian Wilson

Re: labs in southern Ontario that test for cobalt and chromium
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 06:05:27 PM »
Where are you in Southern Ontario? The lab in my surgeon's office building at 4040 Finch Avenue East in Scarborough did a baseline metals test for me pre-surgery. I am sure that most labs could run this test though.

Rosie90

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 01:02:12 AM »
Oops, I forgot the sign-off.  I live in Hamilton.  As there aren't any surgeons doing resurfacing in Hamilton, I had surgery done by Dr. Young, in Scarborough.  I know that her hospital has a lab that tests for metals, but I was hoping to avoid the drive through Toronto.  I understand that there are surgeons in London, ON that perform resurfacing, and that there are labs that test for metals, I just don't know which of the many labs do the test.

Caroline F, Hamilton, ON
rt hip, 2009 Dr. Avram
left hip 2013, Dr. Young

Brian Wilson

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 03:53:28 AM »
Dr. Young is my surgeon also. The lab is, I believe, Gamma Dynacare. They have locations all over. Check their website.

Brian Wilson

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 03:56:52 AM »
According to their website, they have five locations in the Hamilton area.

http://www.gamma-dynacare.com/Content/Patients/PSCSearch.aspx?expandable=0&p=ON&c=HAMILTON&pc=&st=1

By the way, OHIP doesn't cover the cost which was $100 for me. My private insurance covered 80%.

Rosie90

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 02:28:46 PM »
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your replies.  When I last tried to get a cobalt and chromium test in Hamilton they could only test the cobalt and not the chromium, for whatever reason.  And yes, that cost me $100, but Dr. Young told me that it would be cheaper at "her" clinic.  She suggested London as a place to get tested as she knew there were some resurfacing surgeons there.

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear